Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Xealous
Ireland
Killagrohan. Mallow
Co.Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
She's only just started painting and this is her second model. What do you think? She's also done some high elves too which can be seen on the blog.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Where were you hiding when the storm broke?
Philippines
Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks amazing cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Needs wash / dip to bring out the shadows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Can I assume even though she has not painted minatures before, that she has had some related type of experience? If this is her first attempts at anthing like this, or even related to it - she is really gifted!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Xealous
Ireland
Killagrohan. Mallow
Co.Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heya all my wife (Emma) is really happy with the awesome feedback so thanks for that - made her day!

@ Jeff - She's had no real experience painting minis - she did try once with a high elf horse model a few years ago but soon got bored - she actually goes into detail about picking up painting again in a post on my blog - there's also some other photos on their of a high elf unit she completed. (I don't want to spam links so if anyone is interested the blog link can be found on my profile page.) So yeah, no experience but she does however have a creative brain... cake decorating, graphic design etc, you name it, so all her past arty experience is definitely helping.

@Grau - she said she did do a couple washes on the model to emphasize the shadows, maybe the camera glare isn't picking it up - either way thanks for the feedback I'm sure she'll give it another go over with a wash or two. XD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, macro photography is tough, compared to what you see on tabletop. I'm noting a relative lack of blacklining where edges meet, and deep shadow in crevices. It's still very good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks really good, for only her second miniature it is really fantastic. What blog as there doesn't appear to be a link anywhere?! I agree with Grau that it could do with some more obvious shading like round the visor and in his abs but photographing miniatures is an absolute b***h!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xealous wrote:

@ Jeff - She's had no real experience painting minis - she did try once with a high elf horse model a few years ago but soon got bored - she actually goes into detail about picking up painting again in a post on my blog - there's also some other photos on their of a high elf unit she completed. (I don't want to spam links so if anyone is interested the blog link can be found on my profile page.) So yeah, no experience but she does however have a creative brain... cake decorating, graphic design etc, you name it, so all her past arty experience is definitely helping.

Well, all I gotta say then is she has a natural talent for sure. I can only imagine how her minatures would have looked if she had been doing this for a couple of years. (Or God help us all, if she had been doing this for 30+ years like I have.) I feel I am very good at this now, but after 30 years? Who wouldn't be?

I hope she keeps this up and uses/learns more techniques (such washing in details and shades).

Please tell her I am very impressed and hope she continues to develop her natural talents.

- SK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Xealous
Ireland
Killagrohan. Mallow
Co.Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Jonah - tell me about it - photography is my nemesis! Such a pain in the backside, sometimes I think I've got it cracked but then some photos turn out like I've taken them with a kid fisher price camera. -.- But I'll let her know your comments and I'm sure she'll revisit the model and spend a bit more time on him.

@Jeff - I'm hoping too that she'll continue on with it, it's fun to have a painting partner and have someone right there to bounce ideas off, plus I've recently gotten serious about my own painting and have started a mini business, so having an extra painter, especially one who focuses on the little details, will be awesome to have around lol! I've also been painting for a long time (25 years ish) and am really impressed and proud on how quick she's picked it up - maybe a little jealous too. XD

For those interested the blog is: theminikingdom.blogspot.com

Thanks again for the the feedback I'll make sure she knows!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xealous wrote:

@Jeff - I'm hoping too that she'll continue on with it, it's fun to have a painting partner and have someone right there to bounce ideas off, plus I've recently gotten serious about my own painting and have started a mini business, so having an extra painter, especially one who focuses on the little details, will be awesome to have around lol! I've also been painting for a long time (25 years ish) and am really impressed and proud on how quick she's picked it up - maybe a little jealous too. XD

My wife is an avid gamer - I have been very blessed and lucky to have found this lady a long time ago - who enjoys Board games, table top games, and video games. One thing she does NOT do, is paint miniatures - she would never consider doing such a thing. She claims it it because she finds it boring - I suspect she won't do it because she has never done it before and is afraid her work will look bad. I have told her over and over, the first ones usually do [look bad] (well, except for YOUR wife), and it gets better with time. Still no interest.

But this is OK - 'cause she is a gamer and I am very happy for that alone.

- SK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Xealous
Ireland
Killagrohan. Mallow
Co.Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sargonkid wrote:

My wife is an avid gamer - I have been very blessed and lucky to have found this lady a long time ago - who enjoys Board games, table top games, and video games. One thing she does NOT do, is paint miniatures - she would never consider doing such a thing. She claims it it because she finds it boring - I suspect she won't do it because she has never done it before and is afraid her work will look bad. I have told her over and over, the first ones usually do [look bad] (well, except for YOUR wife), and it gets better with time. Still no interest.

Heh aren't gamer/geeky wives awesome!? Perhaps the way to persuade your wife to get into painting is to go down a similar route as to what Emma did - by painting board game miniatures. That way it combines your wife's love of games and a possible new hobby. \o/

Speaking of wives, Em has just completed another SDE model (Vandella) - jeeze she's getting faster! O.o I'll get a pic up of it later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the fact that my wife will get on with my geekness and will play some games like Zombicide but leaves some of my hobby to me! Got to keep something for myself!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xealous wrote:
...Perhaps the way to persuade your wife to get into painting is to go down a similar route as to what Emma did - by painting board game miniatures...

THAT's the problem - she has no interest in painting minatures - even though she loves the games.

She does build and paint Doll Houses - but the scale of those are much larger. I feel she could make the jump to miniatures - but she disagrees.

Oh well...I am not complaing I guess - MORE for ME to paint! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
She can build terrain for you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck dunn
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quite good .. tell her to work with some ink staining to age the little bstrds a bit ... warriors ain't clean ..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.