Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cpt. America
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmb
hey guys...wondering if i can get some opinions on how good this game is...i am trying to decide whether i purchase this game or not...so if someone can kindly let me know your thoughts on this game please? i saw undeadviking's video and from his perspective it sounds good....i wonder if anyone has tried this game in a solo version too? can it be done? thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hurp
United Kingdom
Aldershot
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Horses for courses.
Without knowing your opinion on other games and tastes, it's very hard to predict if you'll like this or not.
Have you ever played Talisman?

I think it's great fun, but I do have friends who I'd never play it with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpt. America
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmb
i just wanted people's opinions on what they thought about the game...i love adventure games like mage knight, never played talisman, i like solo and coop games. i like to have many options of play within a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm glad I bought it. It has beautiful components, is easy to pick up, moves at a good pace (though can often play long), and gives a nice, thematic adventure experience. There are more interesting and meaningful choices in the game than I think some give it credit for, but it's not a game of high or deep strategy or one that pushes you to heavy analysis (like Mage Knight).

Does that help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Alexander
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I brought it out this weekend to a group of friends and we loved the game. It feels very much like an adventure RPG/MMO/etc where you spend time leveling up and getting gear in the "newbie" zones and then moving on to harder areas, eventually becoming powerful enough to take on the boss of the game in the center.

The production quality of the game is one of the highest for any game I own. It is gorgeous to look at and play.

There is a lot of random in the game that people have to be okay with. Part of the fun is seeing what happens. For example, I had a mission that required me to get to 1 hp left. I kept drawing asset cards that would heal me to full! It was pretty fun/funny and by the time I went to just go draw another mission card I was able to satisfy the mission.

I would definitely recommend this game to others with the caveat that there is a bit of luck in the game. As David said there are more interesting choices than it seems to get credit for, but there's also quite a bit of luck.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpt. America
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmb
thanks guys for the info...wondering if anyone of you have played this solo? i know it is not for solo play but has anyone made up a system for it? i would really like to know! thanx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Simpson
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have played it solo with two characters to get the rules down.

I suggest that if the characters get any combination of vanguished or corrupted 3 times the game is over.

Also having a timer by placing three tokens per character on the scenario sheet. Every time an event is activated remove a token. When the last token is removed the game is over.

This last point you may need to experiment with. Not quite sure how many events are seeded in threat decks.
Simple. Hope that makes sense.

Its an interesting game to explore very different from Talisman in design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
samruiz123 wrote:
thanks guys for the info...wondering if anyone of you have played this solo? i know it is not for solo play but has anyone made up a system for it? i would really like to know! thanx

There really isn't a system for solo play needed since there is no PvP right now. Playing solo is just as easy as playing with a group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
demondude777 wrote:
samruiz123 wrote:

There really isn't a system for solo play needed since there is no PvP right now. Playing solo is just as easy as playing with a group.

There's a good and simple solo variant, posted by severian73. I tried it today, it works well, and the difficulty is easily adjustable to one's liking.

We'll try implementing it(or parts of it) into our games with the default ending, as the starting scenario needs some tension, in my opinion. An easily adjustable time limit looks like a good pressure mechanism. It also serves as a good counter to long-running games.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/957233/simple-solitaire-vari...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
msg tools
A friend bought this recently and we have played it twice.

It's okay. It makes you laugh.

It is a lot like Talisman, but designed quite clearly to be a shorter game.

Basically you swan around building up your stats etc until you are good enough to tackle what is in the middle.

Players can't attack each other overtly.

My biggest gripe is the same as Talisman, namely the poor balance of characters. Some are clearly better than others. Being able to control your movement has always been key to victory in Talisman and the same is true here, with two characters being able to jump about to enemies or encounters of their choice.

Missions are vital because they give you relics and relics are hugely powerful. So characters who are geared toward missions also have a big advantage.

Taking, say, the Ogryn and the Space Marine Captain, they are simply worlds apart in how good they are. I played with the latter recently and we drew the mystery beyond for the objective. I could have won the game anytime after about the 6th turn. When I figured this out (many turns later!) I just walked through the inner tier and won.

But if you don't care about winning and are just playing for laughs, they are there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the biggest issue with the default ending:you can easily puzzle out a surefire way to victory(get a sufficient amount of lives, and you're set), so the game could be predetermined as soon as one player acquires a relic.We've been trying to come up with a variant that would inject some uncertainty into Mystery Beyond, and put some pressure on the
players.

The other endings require gearing up and risk management to survive,though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
samruiz123 wrote:
i just wanted people's opinions on what they thought about the game...i love adventure games like mage knight, never played talisman, i like solo and coop games. i like to have many options of play within a game.

Talisman is absolutely an acquired taste. You either going to love it or hate it. Or at least after a few games you will be on one side or the other - the first few games of Talisman can be quite the adventure!

This game is a step up from Talisman, though not a major one. If Mage Knight were chess, Talisman/Relic are knots-and-crosses, so be warned.

Talisman is a game that I (as a mid-40-year-old-Euro-gamer) will still bring out....but not with my gaming group, but with my children. Ages 8 and 9.

I feel the same with Relic. (Haven't played it yet)

I will play this with my children because their reaction to the simple ups and downs offered by Talisman-style games is a joy to behold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Piloka
msg tools
I absolutely love relic. The only bad thing I find about it is sometimes you can not get your objectives done because of bad rolls of the dice. (the power cards sometimes help this). I love mage knight and runebound solo but, I can't get 2 other people to play those games because of the downtime between turns. Relic has a very simple combat system where turns come quick. It's a great gateway game for new players who are used to traditional board game with a theme park style board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Pages
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Echoing the sentiment of the other players here. Relic can be frustrating as any luck based game. Think Munchkin (if you have never played Talisman). Your ability to win at Munchkin hinges a lot on beating monsters that you pick from a random pack of cards. Some of which are very easy to beat, others, are impossible.

Sometimes with Relic, you will fight against an enemy early on in the game that you cannot beat (I am looking at you level 13 slaneesh). Its dice will explode, and you will be screwed. You lose a life and maybe lose a weapon or worse. In your friend's turn, he pulls a threat with a level 6, you roll a 1 for the enemy, he rolls a 6 for himself, easily beats the enemy, gains influence or a power card and increases a level by turning in his trophy.

In 1 turn, you get pummeled whilst your friend begins his relentless journey to the middle.

Rinse and repeat for a few turns. Suddenly, you are facing rebirth and you are still at level 0 whilst your friend is in the middle at level 6-7 with all sort of cool weapons.

But that's the fun of it. Unfortunately not many people find this fun. Old gamers have honed their gamer's ability for decades, and they hate it when winning a game is not entirely based on skill and control.

Don't get me wrong, there is strategy in relic, just like in Talisman, but some characters are slightly stronger than others and sometimes you just draw high level threats after high level threats and you get the s$$t kicked out of you by the game. Oh well.

In conclusion, try it before buying. Ask at your local shop if they could have a demo evening. Gather a couple of players perhaps and ask the shop to crack open the box. Then, if you like it, get the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.