Subject: Decisions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Asidonhopo
Germany
Potsdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading reviews on Courtier made me really want this game but it isn't available in german yet. There are similarities between this and Revolution by the same author and I wonder if I should wait for a german publisher to pick up Courtier or get Revolution and its expansion instead/first. Are there any of you that played both games who want to share their opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They feel very different in play.

Courtier is about using cards to place cubes onto the board to temporarily control areas on the board. You lose control of these board areas as cubes are removed when you cash in the influence to buy VP cards. It starts slowly but accelerates from mid game as neutral cubes that can be used by all players come into play in a random way which makes it easier to get the VP cards.

In Revolution cubes are played onto the board for control over the length of the game. Your cubes can be moved or replaced by other players' (or your own) actions, but the board isn't filling and emptying as it does in Courtier, it builds up until the game end (which is triggered when the board is full).

More significantly, the game play in Revolution is very different, with players secretly placing influence on a number of characters at the start of each round. The player with the most influence on each character gets to performs that character's actions that round (place cubes, move cubes, get VPs, get more influence for next round etc.) The 5-6 player add on works very well.

This makes Revolution more a game of reading what the others are going to do and deciding how much influence you want to gamble on which of the characters each round.

I'd say the board play in Courtier is more dynamic but there is a lot of luck in how well favoured you are when the neutral cubes come out, while the secret bids in Revolution add a level of chaos that some will love but others hate.

For me Courtier is a decent game (I like the card play but find the luck in how the neutral cubes come out to have too strong an effect, others will disagree) but I find Revolution an absolute riot (in a good way!) I wouldn't turn down a game of either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asidonhopo
Germany
Potsdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just noticed that the expansion for Revolution hasn't been translated to german yet so there's no point in getting it over Courtier. So I'll just be waiting a little bit longer. Otherwise thanks for your reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.