Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Hawkins
United Kingdom
Willingham
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always been impressed by the tight rules for Viktory II but the Horse and Musket theme has never felt quite right to me. I think it's the mismatch between the strategic scale of the game and the tactical differentiation of the units.

I therefore present a very light-weight re-theme, simply use the miniatures from a game of Dust.
Of the six armies in my copy of Dust, 3 are a good match (yellow, black & red), 2 are OK but significantly lighter/darker (green & blue) and one is pretty useless (orange).

I'm going to assign the pieces as shown in this photo:

Tank = Infantry, Fighter = Cavalry, Mech = Artillery, Sub = Ship

No other rule changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hawkins
United Kingdom
Willingham
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Viktory II had been lurking on my shelves for a long time so I was not up to date with developments to the games including the updated and expanded rules VIKTORY II Rules v2.1

I found this summary of changes:
VIKTORY wrote:

1. building phase accelerator, allowing players to build two towns a turn or one city upgrade (as opposed to one town or one city upgrade)
2. reordered turn sequence, putting the building phase after the movement & combat phase
3. combat supply, dice hitting on a 4 or less instead of a 3 or less if you have a city on each terrain type
4. range of 1 on bombard attacks (more realistic to scale compared to range of 2)
5. artillery pre-battle fire on offense and defense
6. adjacent enemy unit building restrictions (can't build towns if enemy unit is on an adjacent hex)
7. cavalry ignore slow terrain, only one die for attacking
8. attacker gets +1 die for each additional attacking hex side
9. plains city supports 3 infantry, rather than 2
10. plus some rule clarifications & some more optional rules

From my initial play through I think that a few changes are required to sustain the theme so I'll address those in the context of the V2 rules.

1. Building phase accelerator thumbsup

2. thumbsdown Reordered turn sequence. Why? this seems like a significant change to the metagame.

3. thumbsdown Combat supply. No, I think this is unnecessary chrome that the game does not need.

4. thumbsdown Bombardment range of 1. No, range of 2 (at least) makes more sense with Dust theme.

5. Artillery (mech) pre-battle fire on both offence & defence thumbsup

6. Can't build town adjacent to enemy unit thumbsup

7. Cavalry (Bombers) ignore slow terrain, only one die for attacking thumbsup
In addition bombers may move over water hexes but are returned to the reserve if they start their move on a water hex (so they can attack subs).

8. thumbsdown Attacker gains +1 die for each attacking hexside. At the scale of the game (operational/strategic) I think co-ordiantion difficulties would overrule the benefits. I may consider allowing +1 die for attacking from two or more hexsides in the first round of combat only.
Another option is that I might allow the defender to retreat after each round of combat but not into a hex used by the attackers or any adjacent hex (I think this is more in keeping with the original subtle design).

9. thumbsdown plains city supports 3 infantry. I think I will experiment with allowing any plains city to become a metropolis and support 3 infantry but not allow cities in other terrain types to become one.

I'll continue to update this thread as I develop the game. If there is sufficient interest I'll post my rules to the files section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.