Viktory II had been lurking on my shelves for a long time so I was not up to date with developments to the games including the updated and expanded rules VIKTORY II Rules v2.1
I found this summary of changes:
1. building phase accelerator, allowing players to build two towns a turn or one city upgrade (as opposed to one town or one city upgrade)
2. reordered turn sequence, putting the building phase after the movement & combat phase
3. combat supply, dice hitting on a 4 or less instead of a 3 or less if you have a city on each terrain type
4. range of 1 on bombard attacks (more realistic to scale compared to range of 2)
5. artillery pre-battle fire on offense and defense
6. adjacent enemy unit building restrictions (can't build towns if enemy unit is on an adjacent hex)
7. cavalry ignore slow terrain, only one die for attacking
8. attacker gets +1 die for each additional attacking hex side
9. plains city supports 3 infantry, rather than 2
10. plus some rule clarifications & some more optional rules
From my initial play through I think that a few changes are required to sustain the theme so I'll address those in the context of the V2 rules.
1. Building phase accelerator
2. Reordered turn sequence. Why? this seems like a significant change to the metagame.
3. Combat supply. No, I think this is unnecessary chrome that the game does not need.
4. Bombardment range of 1. No, range of 2 (at least) makes more sense with Dust theme.
5. Artillery (mech) pre-battle fire on both offence & defence
6. Can't build town adjacent to enemy unit
7. Cavalry (Bombers) ignore slow terrain, only one die for attacking
In addition bombers may move over water hexes but are returned to the reserve if they start their move on a water hex (so they can attack subs).
8. Attacker gains +1 die for each attacking hexside. At the scale of the game (operational/strategic) I think co-ordiantion difficulties would overrule the benefits. I may consider allowing +1 die for attacking from two or more hexsides in the first round of combat only.
Another option is that I might allow the defender to retreat after each round of combat but not into a hex used by the attackers or any adjacent hex (I think this is more in keeping with the original subtle design).
9. plains city supports 3 infantry. I think I will experiment with allowing any plains city to become a metropolis and support 3 infantry but not allow cities in other terrain types to become one.
I'll continue to update this thread as I develop the game. If there is sufficient interest I'll post my rules to the files section.