Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Lott
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is actually my third attempt to post this. The first time I didn't finish and rage quite. The second time, a computer failure ruined a nearly completed one.

My history with this game is simple: I saw it on the shelf, picked it up and was immeditly interested, however I was weary about it being a kickerstarter. I went home and looked it up on the geek, and was justified in my concern. However, I read the posted rules, and was interested more. I waffled for a bit, but eventually it got me, and I could not be happier with my choice.

So lets break it down:

Components:
There has been a lot said about these, and so I must add my two cents.

The components are not bad, with a few exceptions.

The cards, are crap. Maybe ten years ago, I would been ok with them, but we have in the board game industry moved beyond these bubblegum cards. Sleeve them if you don't want to have a problem.

The ships, are fine, industry standard.

The cardboard tiles and counters: Ok, let me say this, there are people complaining about the cut (not the counters, they like the counters) but the cut of them. They complain they need a knife. I have a couple things to say to them: BOO F%$#ing HOO! You little whinny B#$%^&. Try punching out 2000 counters, jerk. My tiles/counters punched fine, no knife, no tears, etc... maybe you should learn to do a bit of twist.

Finally on the dials: Yah they suck. The fix on the online rules work fine. There not that great though, even if they are tight. They are small, the finger is hard to read, etc... Suck.

Rules:
The rules that come with the game, thumbs down. The rules online: Still need work. They are all over the place, and while they might be complete, they need a lot of work. I would offer my services to them, if they want it. As far as kickstarter games go, at least they are complete.

Gameplay:
As some have said, this game really does shine in this department, and as far as I am concerned, this is the most important part, BY FAR. Lets talk about how the game plays:

The goal of the game is to make colonies, with the customers, that are trying to escape a doomed earth. The size of a colony does not effect its value in income, or point value for victory. Each customer on a planet is worth a point however, so there is reason to drop the more than one on a colony.

Every ship can take one action per turn, and all actions that be taken are technologies. Techs can be bought, cost increasing for the number of techs you already own. You can also sell technologies, with each one worth a different value. Technologies sold, force every player that owns that same technology to sell them. Once sold, technologies join the public domain, meaning all players can use that technology.

There is another option that justfies its own paragraph, that is you can licsense technology. Licsensing allows you to use another players tech for one turn. You pay them half the value and for the turn gain access, they can not stop you from doing this. Let me state this again, it allows you to use some one elses technology. Let me restate this: it allows you to USE a TECH you do not have. IT IS VERY CRITICAL TO DO! DO IT! I have won all three games I have played because I DID IT. DO IT. Win.

One interesting thing about the game, is how it starts simple with few options and grows, and grows, in complexity. It eases you in however, so you don't feel overwhelemed.

Lastly you can also build more ships, (up to 4 in the game), and collect income. There are some trade route rules, but I don't think they really add to the game. They need some revision. I do have a question: Can a trade route be longer than 3? Can it be any length?

Anyhoo, all this runs up to an intense game, that builds up and up. There is some luck but it really is mitageted, with different strategies and note above about the licsense.

So overall this game is really fun and intense. If you can handle longlish games, this is an amazing fun game, with options galore, and intense strategy. You need to get past a bunch of problems with poorly written rules, with some components that need to be carefully assembled and sleeved. Once you do, you will be presently supprised.

B+
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Barbieri
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Break From Reality Games
badge
Where's the duct tape?!?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Joe,

Thanks for taking the time do write up this review! To answer your question about Trade Routes: yes, they can be longer than 3.

All the best,
Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.