Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

City of Iron» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions after first play through rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Harvie Jarriell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Played for the first time last night, great game. A few questions came up in our two player game:

1. Steam crane: does it only make buildings in that land/city cheaper or all lands/cities?

2. The player with most owned Military/Citizen cards end of game bonus, wanted to verify it's total including hand, draw decks and discard piles totalled. The description on page 12 only mentions "hand or undrawn". We assumed it was supposed to be "including hand and undrawn".

3. Can you play more of a card than you need for an affect? Example, I want to attack a town with 2 distance, can I discard 6 distance just for the bonuses, or to stack my discard?

4. Along the same line, can I attack something with less than I need to win? Just for effects of the cards used and/or to stack my discard?

5. The 5 cost, water, 2 Science, B docks that generates 2 tentacles + 1 ore. Doesn't have a remove in 2 player game number on it. Should it. all other sources of Ore are removed in the 2 player setup?

6. Building requirements are listed in the purchase building section. Is it correct that those requirements have to be meet for placement when a City State of Arc moves a building?

7. Since moving a building for City State of Arc is a free action, can they do it on someone else's turn? And can it be activated more than once in a round?

Great, we are looking forward to our next play through. There is an amazing amount of depth and choices for the number of components/things in the game. Also, the components are excellent quality.


I did notice a few very minor design things that stuck out (I assume they were done for cost and time reasons):


A. Building cards would have looked nicer with a picture on the back of them.

B. All buildings of a type have the same picture, minor difference for non-generic versions would have been cool.

C. Nation decks would have been nicer with a design/icon for the race versus a letter on the back.

D. A little more varience in unit pictures would have been cool. Each nations deck has a lot of the same pictures. Also, the Solder and SharpShooter having the same picture seems odd.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Laukat
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Spyre wrote:
Played for the first time last night, great game. A few questions came up in our two player game:

1. Steam crane: does it only make buildings in that land/city cheaper or all lands/cities?

This makes buildings cheaper in all lands.

Quote:
2. The player with most owned Military/Citizen cards end of game bonus, wanted to verify it's total including hand, draw decks and discard piles totalled. The description on page 12 only mentions "hand or undrawn". We assumed it was supposed to be "including hand and undrawn".

Yes, that's right. All cards in your hand, discard piles, and draw piles.

Quote:
3. Can you play more of a card than you need for an affect? Example, I want to attack a town with 2 distance, can I discard 6 distance just for the bonuses, or to stack my discard?

Yes, you can play more distance or attack than you need just to use the abilities.

Quote:
4. Along the same line, can I attack something with less than I need to win? Just for effects of the cards used and/or to stack my discard?

No. You cannot attack a town without actually taking it.

Quote:
5. The 5 cost, water, 2 Science, B docks that generates 2 tentacles + 1 ore. Doesn't have a remove in 2 player game number on it. Should it. all other sources of Ore are removed in the 2 player setup?

Yes. This is an error. Remove the card for 2 players.

Quote:

Great, game we had a lot of fun. There is an amazing amount of depth and choices for the number of components/things in the game. Also, the components are excellent quality.

That's great to hear. I'm happy you enjoyed it!


Quote:
I did notice a few very minor design things that stuck out (I assume they were done for cost and time reasons):


A. Building cards would have looked nicer with a picture on the back of them.

B. All buildings of a type have the same picture, minor difference for non-generic versions would have been cool.

C. Nation decks would have been nicer with a design/icon for the race versus a letter on the back.

D. A little more varience in unit pictures would have been cool. Each nations deck has a lot of the same pictures. Also, the Solder and SharpShooter having the same picture seems odd.


Yeah, this basically came down to a time issue. As it is, I probably spent four times as long doing art for this game than any other game I've worked on. As Leonardo da Vinci said, “Art is never finished, only abandoned.”

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvie Jarriell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanx for the quick responses, two more questions?

6. Building requirements are listed in the purchase building section. Is it correct that those requirements have to be meet for placement when a City State of Arc moves a building?

7. Since moving a building for City State of Arc is a free action, can they do it on someone else's turn? And can it be activated more than once in a round?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Chesney
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Spyre wrote:

7. Since moving a building for City State of Arc is a free action, can they do it on someone else's turn? And can it be activated more than once in a round?

I just had my first playthrough last night for a 4 player game and it was enjoyed by everyone.
I can answer this question ( I think). All Free Actions can only be done on your turn, and they have to be done before you play your Action for the turn.
So you cannot move a building on someone else's turn, but you can activate it as many times as you want on your turn, as long as it's before you play your Action for the turn.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Spyre wrote:
7. Since moving a building for City State of Arc is a free action, can they do it on someone else's turn? And can it be activated more than once in a round?

I don't think you are ever allowed to take actions during someone else's turn in this game, free or not.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvie Jarriell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanx, figured you couldn't on another player's turn, but we didn't find anywhere that said for sure.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Laukat
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Spyre wrote:
Thanx, figured you couldn't on another player's turn, but we didn't find anywhere that said for sure.


Yes, that's correct.

When moving buildings with the City-State of Arc ability, the land to which the building is moving must meet any land-type requirements.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiver & Orthia
New Zealand
Hamilton East
Hamilton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
... Why would you do so, then? We've not tried the racial powers yet, and that point puzzled me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Reivthia wrote:
... Why would you do so, then? We've not tried the racial powers yet, and that point puzzled me.

If you want to get a building but the land that matches the building icon is full, you could use the ability to move a building out to another land to make room.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.