Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it can be quest dependent, but I was wondering if people have a starting threat level they don't like to exceed while picking heroes?

I know I've used 30 in the past, but mainly because I played Journey Down the Anduin a lot and wanted to avoid the Hill Troll.

But in other quests, maybe its 31 or even 32 before you hit big trouble?

Specifically right now I'm building decks for the Hobbit series (OHaUH and OtD), and am considering throwing Bard, Beorn and Thalin together (starting threat 32). Bad idea? Might have to just shuffle up and find out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Kam
United States
Lafayette
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say it's not just quest dependent, but deck dependent. 30 is pretty much my hard limit for decks that don't have any threat reduction. Any deck that starts higher than that, doesn't have threat reduction, and could very easily struggle with questing in the first few turns seems worrisome to me.

I could be wrong, though. Let us know if it works out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
jerkules wrote:
Specifically right now I'm building decks for the Hobbit series (OHaUH and OtD), and am considering throwing Bard, Beorn and Thalin together (starting threat 32). Bad idea? Might have to just shuffle up and find out.

If this is a solo deck, it would probably be tough. All Tactics heroes would result in a low questing ability and not many ways to reduce threat. In multi-player, you could depend on another player to reduce your threat as necessary so it could work.

I typically play solo. My general approach is to pick the sphere or two (or three) that I plan on choosing my heroes from, choose the one or two heroes that I really want to play with - paying no attention to their threat, and throw in a hero or two with about the lowest threat possible that would still be somewhat functional and able to contribute to my deck. I've found that usually if I just pick my three favorite heroes, I end up with a really high threat (in the 30's) and get stuck with nasty encounters (creatures and/or threat-level dependent treachery cards) early on before I can get my deck rolling. With my current approach, I usually start with a threat level around mid-20's or so and have a few rounds to get things together before it starts getting hairy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends, you playing with Aragorn or not?

We tend to fall in around 25, and we've never been able to use Secrecy (who does?). One of our highest decks is Glorfindel (spirit) + Aragorn (lore) + Elrond, for 30 points, but with Aragorn, his reset ability helps with the higher starting threat (just got to time it right without dying).

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
shnar wrote:
We tend to fall in around 25, and we've never been able to use Secrecy (who does?). ...

I'm trying to use a bit of Secrecy right now. You'd need a deck with at least one Spirit hero, a starting threat of around 25 or less, and a bit of luck. I'm testing it with Spirit Glorfindel, Frodo, and Elrond. I was able to play Elrond's Counsel to drop my 25 starting threat to 22, followed by Dwarven Tomb to allow me to play Elrond's Counsel a second time so that I could get out Resourceful on the first round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys jo
msg tools
My starting threat tends to be either 26 or 28.
It's not like I plan it, but somehow it always is after making my decisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with others that it is highly dependent on the deck you plan on playing. I am often more willing to build tactics decks with high starting threat because the heroes can often handle anything that engages on turn one. Hama + recycling Feint is a good example of this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Chase
United States
Elma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, I typically don't like being 30 threat or higher to start. Just so I can get some resources built up. I like to get as close to 25 as possible with out threat reduction in the deck. I like to play 2 tactics/ 1 lore with eagles so the extra time to build is Nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the considerations. I should have qualified it by stating that this is for a 3p game.

Ideally the 3 starting threats would be balanced, but I think there are better synergies if one of them is slightly lower, one in the middle, and one is higher.

That said, I'll probably go with Bard / Thalin / Oin - starting threat 28 for my Tactics heroes (although Oin getting the tactics resource would probably take awhile). My "high threat" deck will be Thorin / Dain / Bifur (30) and my "low threat" deck will be Bombur / Nori / Ori (25).

We'll see what happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crap, now I am considering just trying Bard and Beorn. Fewer resources, but ensures low a threat to get the best use out of Bard, and Beorn has sentinel anyway. Although I would worry how long he would last.

Trying to run through these quests with just Hobbit characters first, then will try again with any hero.

Again, this is for a 3p game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And yes, I know Thalin isn't a Hobbit character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Lasky
msg tools
mb
jerkules wrote:
And yes, I know Thalin isn't a Hobbit character.

Well, I was listening to the soundtrack for the Rankin Bass version of the Hobbit while gaming, and I think I heard the singer say "Thalin and Dwalin"," so maybe he was...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I largely ignore the starting threat these days. Against the Anduin, I have a deck that I call "proactive Hill Troll management".

Take the following main ingredients and see the troll go down in round 1:

Aragorn (Lore)
Glorfindel (Spirit)
Beorn (Tactics)

Add:
Vassal of the Windlord x3
Rivendell Blade x3
Knights of the Swan x3

You need only one of these cards in your opening hand to take down the troll. You could go grazy and add Blade Mastery or something else, but the probability to get one of nine in your opening hand is very high.

Now:

1. Do not quest (Aragorn will ensure you'll be alright).
2. Defend with Beorn.
3. Attack with Glorfindel (3), Aragorn (3), Beorn (5). You need one more attack point which comes from one of the aforementioned cards.
4. Take a raft down the Anduin

The only complications can arise if you draw another Hill Troll in round 1. But even then, you are not automatically lost and have a decent chance to fight through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.