Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Omega Centauri Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
Another session report, a new scenario. I wanted to replay scenario 1 (to see if Carthage can win) or scenario 2, but my opponent was keen to try a new scenario, and we'd been applying more stickers so it seemed a shame not to use all those cavalry.

We only had time for 1 game and I ended up playing the Syracusans.

At first glance this looks like it will be tough for the Syracusans - Carthage has lots of lovely heavy calvary in the centre, once they get rolling it's hard to imagine the light infantry holding them off, unless they get whittled down with missle fire first.

Unfortunately my opening hand was full of flank cards, so that pretty much forced the direction of my battle plan, use my cavalry on the flanks, at least until I had some useful centre cards, but with a small handsize that wasn't going to happen in a hurry.

My opponent started with his light cavalry advancing on my flanks - perhaps he's light on centre cards too? I responded on the left driving off his light cavalry. Then Carthage responded with a mounted attack again on the flanks, with my medium cavalry on the left forced to retreat, losing troops as I was forced back to the board edge (1 banner to Carthage)

Again I respond on the left and gain a Light Cavalry Banner. What are the rest of the troops doing, standing and watching it looks like.

His heavy cavalry start moving (well 3 of them), just what I was afraid off. I try to mop up his left flank, but a battle back result means we both get a banner (2 to Carthage, 1 to Syracuse).

Centre continues to advance, so my light troops scatter to the flanks, doing some ineffectual missle attacks in the process (move fire move). His centre moves again, one Light infantry gets mauled (I'll evade in future!). Scipo attacks on the right flank and eliminates his leader there with his troops (3 banners each now). Then disaster - a mounted charge from the heavies in the centre destroys my light troops and the momentum advance attack takes down some of Scipio's cavalry and he's killed in the melee. Game over, 6 banners to Carthage, 3 to Syracuse. And for the first time 2 leaders dead ... one each side.

Interesting battle, but the small hand size really limits your options, especially if you get some 'unplayable' cards - no card is unplayable, but having a card that you have to use as 'activate one unit instead' isn't great especially when you have so much you need to do. Cavalry is a nightmare when it breaks as it retreats so far, so you need to move it into the middle of the battlefield to stand a chance against a bad combat roll. I think I made the mistake of reacting to my opponent rather than trying to follow a plan ... another scenario I want to try again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Adey
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like a similar result to my recent solo session report, with the addition of a few Roman victory blocks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Karlsson
Sweden
Linköping
Östergötland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I, playing Romans, began this battle by moving my cavalry out towards the flanks. The Carthaginian light cavalry initially skirmished a little (move-fire-move) and then they moved their heavy center forward. My right cavalry wing countercharged them first, and actually made some few casualties, but was eventually all destroyed or driven off, and the leader killed. Things looked very bleak indeed.

So then the enemy moved the rest of their heavy cavalry forward to kill off some light infantry for the win, and that was when my left wing struck. I got some rather lucky initial rolls, some momentum combats and suddenly the medium cavalry had killed enough heavies to win the day. It was glorious.

And then we switched sides and in my starting hand I got Cavalry Charge, Darken The Skies and Clash of Shields . That one Carthage won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.