John Shanahan
United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son and I were squaring off last night against Dreamer in the Time Cataclysm, two heroes each. She starts with H projections in play--so out come four bits of bad business and we take a few poundings in the start phase. Then comes the villain play phase, and another round of slaps upside the head at the end of turn.

Out of the gate, before we've even lifted a super=powered finger, the team had taken some considerable damage.

Are we doing this right? In our experience (which, admittedly, is limited)it seems that with certain villains, the heroes just have to accept that they're going to lose some HP right away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Kam
United States
Lafayette
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, that's how it goes. Any villain that starts with a set number of minions / projections / etc will probably do a fair bit of damage before you get to say anything about it. It's a little frustrating, just save up that anger and unleash some hurt later on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the Dreamer yet, but she sounds consistent with the other villains. I think the game was designed this way to be be thematic. At the start, the villain is having his/her way. Then the supers build up their abilities and slowly turn the tide, until it comes down to a final flurry at the end of the battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't know what taking a pounding on the first villain turn is until you've fought Iron Legacy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Macias
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
You don't know what taking a pounding on the first villain turn is until you've fought Iron Legacy

I was just gonna say that! 8-10 points damage... to every hero on the firt round... every single time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Shanahan
United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:

He's next on our list!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shanahan wrote:
Octavian wrote:

He's next on our list!

We'll pray for you and your son.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth H
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shanahan wrote:
My son and I were squaring off last night against Dreamer in the Time Cataclysm, two heroes each. She starts with H projections in play--so out come four bits of bad business and we take a few poundings in the start phase. Then comes the villain play phase, and another round of slaps upside the head at the end of turn.

So, yes, several villains are designed to beat you down before you even get a turn. (Some don't! See Kismet, Akash'Bhuta, or Miss Information.)

However, by the way I'm reading your phrasing, it sounds like you may be making it too hard on yourself. You say that you draw the minions, they attack, then the Dreamer gets a turn, and the minions attack again.

This isn't right. You draw the minions. Then the dreamer gets a turn, where she may draw more minions. Then, at the end of that turn, all of them attack you. This may be for quite a bit of damage, but they only attack you once before you get to go.

Sorry if I misinterpreted you!

Thus far, the only Villain that can possibly attack during the start phase is Iron Legacy, who has an Ongoing that attacks everybody when it comes out. How to respond when he draws it in his initial set is currently up for debate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many villains start off with a bunch of stuff in play, and the heroes need to deal with it right away. Typically you take some damage before you can do anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bender
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This always made sense to me - superheroics is always kind of a reactive endeavor. The teams musters only after Voss launches his invasion, Wraith only picks up on Spite after he's abducted several victims, and Iron Legacy is already a tyrant in control of an entire world.

Yet another example of how well this game emulates our favorite comics!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the Dreamer pounded us last night, too...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Shanahan
United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamethrower49 wrote:
Shanahan wrote:

So, yes, several villains are designed to beat you down before you even get a turn. (Some don't! See Kismet, Akash'Bhuta, or Miss Information.)

However, by the way I'm reading your phrasing, it sounds like you may be making it too hard on yourself. You say that you draw the minions, they attack, then the Dreamer gets a turn, and the minions attack again.

This isn't right. You draw the minions. Then the dreamer gets a turn, where she may draw more minions. Then, at the end of that turn, all of them attack you. This may be for quite a bit of damage, but they only attack you once before you get to go.

Sorry if I misinterpreted you!

Thus far, the only Villain that can possibly attack during the start phase is Iron Legacy, who has an Ongoing that attacks everybody when it comes out. How to respond when he draws it in his initial set is currently up for debate.

No, your explanation is how we've been doing it. But it's that initial "Excuse me, little girl, but you're starting with HOW MANY projections? Oh dear..." moment is a killer. So,no, we lay them out, wince at what we're going to end up taking, she plays her turn and probably adds one more ass-kicking to the list, and then it's pig-pile on the heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard E. Markhardt
United States
Plano
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, some villians just beat the snot out of you before you even get to do anything.

My friend was playing Chrono Ranger against Plague Rat (his nemesis) and due to a bad 1st turn villian card he took something like 18 damage before the heroes even got to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
delios shadowsoul
msg tools
mbmb
First (and currently ONLY) attempt at iron legacy: 18 damage to all 4 heroes to start. not a really hopeful way to start out =p
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.