• [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
It's missing the panel that makes it funny.

The one where the insane guy asks "Where's the nearest elementary school?" ?

The one where the drug dealer says "Fuck the police!"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
It's missing the panel that makes it funny.

Lack of humor, absence of context, poor art, inane scripting and slavish progressive ideology are just some of the features of this strip that have kept it from gaining popularity outside of colleges, free press handouts and people who seek comfort in familiarity while online.

This guy wasn't funny in the 90's and over the last two decades he has become increasingly shrill and even less able to make a cogent argument for anything except "fuck the Man!"

He did win the coveted Best Cartoon award several times... but it was from the Association of Alternative Newsweeklies... so it's kind of like getting a big sloppy kiss from Fidel while Che' gives you a reach-around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh. I thought it was funny, not laugh out loud but at least chuckle worthy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked the comic until the gun show panel. It seemed like it was building up to a good point about government hypocrisy and then just went for the dumb gun debate angle instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
I liked the comic until the gun show panel. It seemed like it was building up to a good point about government hypocrisy and then just went for the dumb gun debate angle instead.
Maybe it's doing both? Saying how stupid it is to not have background checks, whilst at the same time pointing out that the US government is more dangerous then any nut with a gun.

Or maybe (god forbid) it is saying exactly what you thought it was, and the final panel is not a dumb gun debate angle at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
slatersteven wrote:
quozl wrote:
Maybe it's doing both? Saying how stupid it is to not have background checks, whilst at the same time pointing out that the US government is more dangerous then any nut with a gun.

Or maybe (god forbid) it is saying exactly what you thought it was, and the final panel is not a dumb gun debate angle at all.

oooh, quantum...

Is there anyone else here who doesn't understand the obsession with gun control that grips threads in RSP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
Is there anyone else here who doesn't understand the obsession with gun control that grips threads in RSP?

It might be that people from countries that don't have 30,000 deaths a year from gun violence have a hard time understanding why this might matter so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
DaviddesJ wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:

It might be that people from countries that don't have 30,000 deaths a year from gun violence have a hard time understanding why this might matter so much.

No, no, grand panjandrum, I do understand why such a thing matters, I just don't understand the prominence given here (where are the endless threads consisting of little more than empty tit-for-tat snark on the things that routinely kill many more people each year?), nor what anyone hopes these vicious little stabs at the idiots on the other side will achieve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
I do understand why such a thing matters, I just don't understand the prominence given here

They seem one and the same.

Quote:
(where are the endless threads consisting of little more than empty tit-for-tat snark on the things that routinely kill many more people each year?)

What other things kill comparable numbers of people and are strongly affected by public policy? Maybe drunk driving, but (1) that number is lower, as a result of pretty strong public policy efforts to reduce it; and (2) it's not a matter of intense current debate in the Congress right now, which has a predictable effect on how much people talk about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:

No, we (*) understand why it matters. We just tend not to understand one side of the debate, and therefore why there is a debate, rather than just being obvious.

(*) Actually, I've spent enough time in the states - much of it in Texas - to not be surprised. But the general form of any discussion about the US and guns this side of the Atlantic goes "Are they crazy? Yes."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Take out the gun crime statistics in a few cities with the toughest anti-gun laws and the US is statistically one of the safest countries in the world.

Obviously rubbish. But I'll back that up rather than just saying so.

So I'll pick Texas. Purely because it's large and because it's well-known not for being a home for anti-gun laws.

Murders in 2011 - 1,126 in a population of 25.7 million. 43.8 per million.

For the UK, 2011-12 - 640, or 10.4 per million. (Of which incidentally only 44 involved a firearm as the main weapon.)

I think you'll find other modern industrial countries more similar to the UK than the US. Unfortunately it's not a statistic that the CIA world factbook app (usually the best easy source) has a rank ordering for. Of course if you want to compare the US to the rest of the world, go ahead. It's safer than Somalia.

(And yes, I know most people and places in the US are safer than those statistics. But then most people and places in the UK are safer than those statistics also.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
quozl wrote:

oooh, quantum...

I understand there is an obsession with gun control (or not having it), I just don't understand many of the arguments (in the sense that they make no sense as an argument). Nor do I understand why saying that you can buy guns without background checks (a fact) is saying anything about the argument (other then you can do it). It seems to me that it might just as easily be saying that it's stupid that a law abiding organization that in fact not even the gun control lobby thinks is evil and dangerous could (under the proposed law) only buy guns at gun meets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's safer than Russia. The industrialized nations you pick are all very homogeneous. When you pick contries with diverse and poor populations the U.S. looks extremely good.
Homicide rate per 100,000 2010: 1.4 UK, 4.8 US, 13.0 Russia, 22.4 Mexico, 78 Honduras

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ironcates wrote:
It's safer than Russia. The industrialized nations you pick are all very homogeneous. When you pick contries with diverse and poor populations the U.S. looks extremely good.
Homicide rate per 100,000 2010: 1.4 UK, 4.8 US, 13.0 Russia, 22.4 Mexico, 78 Honduras
Canada 1.73 per 100,000, India 3.5 (it's pretty diverse you know).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
ironcates wrote:

Is 4.8 closer to 3.5 or 13?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ironcates wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
ironcates wrote:

Irrelevant, India is a developed *and diverse) nations that has a lower murder rate then the USA (Canada is (at least) as diverse as the USA also).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ironcates wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
ironcates wrote:

You said "When you pick contries with diverse and poor populations the U.S. looks extremely good.". He picked India. The US not only didn't look extremely good, it didn't even look good. In that company, it might make it to mediocre. (In the company of other rich countries, it just looks bad.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Is there a public outcry to limit the height of buildings in Japan? Such a movement would be as nonsensical as gun control.

If 30,000 people a year were jumping off of buildings (which I would seriously doubt) then making the buildings shorter would not be a good answer, but a wide variety of steps to limit the access of unstable people to roofs and balconies might be well justified. My wife knew someone who dropped off her kids at preschool and walked to the nearest freeway overpass and jumped off. We take more steps than we used to to reduce that (e.g., with barrier fences) which seems smart to me. Of course, we are fortunate not to have a pro-jumping lobby that attacks any politician who would favor fences.

Quote:
Take out the gun crime statistics in a few cities with the toughest anti-gun laws and the US is statistically one of the safest countries in the world.

That's not true, but the main problem is that the regions that don't want gun laws undermine those "toughest anti-gun laws". You don't care that in order for you to avoid a few minutes for a background check, more people in some big city will die. You probably even enjoy the thought, but most of the people like you don't actively want people not like them to die, they just don't care one way or the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
But more importantly, what is "a person like me"? And why wouldn't I care if someone died?

Only you can answer that. Why do you put your ease of trading guns ahead of the desire to reduce gun violence in big cities? My speculation is that you have such distaste for those people that you are happy if they die. But feel free to offer a different explanation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
But feel free to offer a different explanation.

You are simply a dumbass who imparts your personal bias upon others?

Or it could be that more guns in the hands of law abiding people makes everybody safer, and I prefer people to be safer?

Maybe both?

Neither of those answers the question of why it's important to you to make it easier to funnel illegal weapons into large US cities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Dumbass it is.
Who is advocating that? How did you even come to make that statement? Are you off your meds?

44 votes in the Senate for that. Including, presumably, your representatives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Wow!!

When did Alaska get 44 Senators????

Man, no wonder they've got a lock on domestic policy in the United States!

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In 3rd grade, they are supposed to teach you the difference between "X includes Y" and "Y includes X."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
44 votes to " funnel illegal weapons into large US cities".

Now you've got it.

Quote:
Oh. And by the way. I, just like you, have one representative and two senators. And no, my representative did not vote in the senate. He rarely votes in the course of his own job.

If you are a citizen of a US state, you've got three representatives in Congress: one in the House of Representatives and two in the Senate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.