Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Bora Bora» Forums » Rules

Subject: Phase A: can I put a die on an action tile if I cannot perform the action? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carlos Brito
Brazil
Niterói
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming Engine
mbmbmbmbmb
It may seem a silly question but if you have a 1-die and you don't have a white god it might be interesting to try to block an action tile for other players doing this if you have no better options.

The rules say it's forbidden in some cases (that I list below), but not in all cases:

1) You cannot select the man/woman action if you don't have an empty space on your board for the man/woman tile.
2) You cannot select the build action if you don't have 2 adjacent building materials on your board.

But there are some other options not mentioned in the manual:

1) Can you select the expand action if the value on the die you're using is too small to allow any expansion?
2) Can you select the man/woman action if there are no available man/woman tiles compatible with the die you're using?
3) Can you select the build action if you have already used all build tiles that your die would allow you to use?
4) Can you select the temple action if all your priests are already in the temple?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pastuzyn
United States
Midland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would vote, "No". A reading of the rules indicates you need to take the action and the exceptions you note above are clarifications. For example, in order to take a man or woman tile, you need a space without a hut.

From the rules:

"Take one woman tile from any position that is less than or equal to the
value of the die that you had placed upon the woman action tile."

To me, this implies you have to take the tile. This also would apply to men tiles. The other actions are similarly described.

If you have a die you can't use, you can always turn it in for 2 VP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deep Silver wrote:
I would vote, "No". A reading of the rules indicates you need to take the action and the exceptions you note above are clarifications. For example, in order to take a man or woman tile, you need a space without a hut.

From the rules:

"Take one woman tile from any position that is less than or equal to the
value of the die that you had placed upon the woman action tile."

To me, this implies you have to take the tile. This also would apply to men tiles. The other actions are similarly described.

If you have a die you can't use, you can always turn it in for 2 VP.

This is how we've been playing it as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

I would assume that based on the other Feld games which generally do not allow purely destructive blocking moves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the top of page 4, where the description of phase A is is given, it is states: Place any one legal die and perform the action. It does not give you the choice of not performing the action.
The publisher (who wrote the rules) is always extremely cautious about using the proper words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Brito
Brazil
Niterói
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming Engine
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
At the top of page 4, where the description of phase A is is given, it is states: Place any one legal die and perform the action. It does not give you the choice of not performing the action.
The publisher (who wrote the rules) is always extremely cautious about using the proper words.

Be careful with your own wording: note that it's not a matter of choice, but of impossibility: it's quite clear that, having placed the die, if the action is possible, you must execute it. In fact there would be no reason at all for not executing it.

The real question is: if the subsequent action is not possible, are you forbidden to place the die? If so, this rule is not written anywhere. The manual describes particular cases where it is forbidden indeed (listed in the original post) but it's not totally clear if they're examples of a general rule or if in those cases it is forbidden and in others allowed.

This said, I tend to agree with the current opinion that it should be forbidden to place the die in all cases and intend to rule this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brito wrote:
Be careful with your own wording: note that it's not a matter of choice, but of impossibility: it's quite clear that, having placed the die, if the action is possible, you must execute it. In fact there would be no reason at all for not executing it.

You could have built all your 6 buildings on your Ceremonial place and forfeit 2 points for the Fishing action just to place your die at the Building Action just to annoy other players.

That is not legal according to the rules.
You MUST place each of your 3 dice and you MUST perform the associated action. "Must" is implied in the wording of Stefan Brück: when he write "do this" you have no choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.