4 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Stress tokens and "Squad Leader" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Nairb
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So lets say we have 2 ships: Ship 1 and Ship 2. Ship 1 is the highest pilot level and the upgrade "Squad leader" which gives another ship a free action.

Ship 2 does a K-Turn and receives a stress token. Can ship 1 give ship 2 a free action? I recall the rules saying something to the effect of if a card says something, it overwrites the rules. But also something like if a ship doesn't get any actions, it also can't have a free action.

So can a ship with a stress token take a free action with Squad Leader?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the rules, it states that a ship with a stress token cannot perform an action. This includes free actions. However, a ship with stress can acquire tokens via other means that don't involve actions (e.g. from Garven or Dutch). If it says "action", then a stressed ship can't do it.

At least, that's my understanding and how it's always been ruled in games I've played. I'm sure there will be other opinions from rules lawyers from AFewManeuvers or the FFG forums with another interpretation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antares CD
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iamadoorknob wrote:
So lets say we have 2 ships: Ship 1 and Ship 2. Ship 1 is the highest pilot level and the upgrade "Squad leader" which gives another ship a free action.

Ship 2 does a K-Turn and receives a stress token. Can ship 1 give ship 2 a free action? I recall the rules saying something to the effect of if a card says something, it overwrites the rules. But also something like if a ship doesn't get any actions, it also can't have a free action.

So can a ship with a stress token take a free action with Squad Leader?

Unfortunately, no.

The rulebook on page 17 is quite clear on this (emphasis mine):

"While a ship has at least one stress token, it cannot execute red maneuvers or perform any actions (even free actions)."

Nothing in the text of Squad Leader overrules this restriction. Off the top of my head, the only thing that bypasses this restriction is the pilot ability of Tycho Celchu.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
However, if you crash or fly over an asteroid and lose your regular action, that does not prevent you from receiving an action from a squad leader or Lando or elsewhere. Only a stress token prevents actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.