Popular Tags: [View All]
Jenny Nguyen
Australia
Bungarribee
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On a side note, it was Australia Day today...whilst others were out at their BBQ's getting drunk and doing other rather loud, obnoxious "Australian" things - myself and one other remained couped up in the house to give WOTR another chance. We've never finished a game of this prior to today. The rules seemed to frustrate us in all manner of ways but today, we were both determined to get a game of this under our belts. After playing all manner of wargames recently, surely this game would be tame in comparison. Turns out it was quite simple really.

He played Free Peoples, I played Servants of Shadow. The last few times we played, and this time included, the start of the game seemed to be quite slow moving. Nothing really happens. It's all just essential crap like quickly moving your guys into war, setting up your armies into the best possible attacking/defensive position...blah blah. Nothing truly exciting which irks me at times. A handful of really cool cards is at my disposal but I have absolutely no chance of playing them anytime soon.

So anyway, let's just skip all those details and move onto the last round of the war. It was getting pretty desperate between both players. The ring bearer had torn his way into Gorgaroth and had only two more steps before obtaining victory (or taking one more stronghold which, mind you, was very much going to happen at the drop of a die landing on 6) albeit he was 4 steps away from being corrupted. I just had to stop the ring bearer or waltz into one of his many free strongholds (wasn't a viable option - too far away).

In my northern stronghold stood my only chance for a chance at victory. I was under seige with but one lone soldier - the last remaining of that battle. Here this poor little orc was single handedly fending off 5 elves and two leaders. Somehow in two rounds of onslaught, against all odds, FP did not roll a single 6! I hadn't rolled any 5/6's either but who cares? It's about survival at this stage. Meanwhile, with the FP's attacking dice having been spent (and my recruiting of units for other weakly guarded strongholds), he decided to bring his focus back on the bigger picture. The Crack of Doom. He attempted advancement. I drew a 1 tile. He attempted another advancement. I knew for a fact if I drew one of his tiles now, that all would be lost...against all odds - I drew forth a 3 tile and thus corrupted Frodo. Woohoo!

It was a pretty sweet game (close games tend to be) although we did have to consult the FAQ later on to ensure we were abidding by the rules. One think that irked me though was that during a round of combat, he played a card that allowed his leader to automatically hit and I had played a card that ensured that his leader could not participate at all (re-rolls etc)...we were unsure of how to resolve this so we said that my card negated his but later on, according to the rules, defender's combat cards take precedence . Stinky! Being foiled hurts! What a waste of a perfectly good card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Sturrock
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hmmm...if the ringbearers were alone - you know all the companions had left and gollum was the guide, then he could of course have revealed the fellowship on 12 corruption and reduced to 11 corruption to win the game...

Unless I'm missing something...

B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Nguyen
Australia
Bungarribee
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like I said, the rulebook has been read over and over again and everytime we go to play we end up having to consult it in confusion. Not entirely certain if FFG rulebooks have that effect on other people or not but I certainly find their rules ill written.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Smit
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
I was the FP in this game. Actually it was when moving to the spot before the crack of doom that they died so the golum trick wouldnt have won me the game. I did totally forget about it though so i should have still had another chance to advance them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Sturrock
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I do agree with Jenny about the rules - but you need to check again about the Mordor track. If the last of the companions died on the penultimate step to the crack then there's no reason Gollum couldn't have used his guide ability....yeah it's tricky and there's so many exceptions - but persevere and it all starts to make sense...

B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.