The Castles of Burgundy» Forums » General

Subject: First 4 Games = Fun rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
Went over to a friend's house last night for some gaming. We didn't really have a plan as what we were going to play so he asked if I would mind playing The Castles of Burgundy which he had not had a chance to play yet. I have never played it either so I asked him if he had read the rules. He said he had read them but it was a few weeks ago. We figured we could muddle through the game so we decided to give it a try.

We opened the box and luckily he had already sorted and bagged all the different chits, dice, and pieces. We each took a number 1 player board and began following the set-up instructions. We finally got it set up and went over the different actions you can take which is printed right on your player board. By time we got to Phase A, Round 1, we both had that "oh oh" look like we had bit off more than we could chew.

He rolled and won First Player and off we went. He bought a ship with his first die, placed it with his second, took a Good and then it was my turn. I grabbed a ship and a building that gives you 4 workers when you place it and we were off and running. We had to check the Rule Book several times to see what the different Tech/Knowledge tiles do but overall the game flowed very nice. Tracy built a few mines early which give you Silverlings (money) and I built mostly buildings and raised animals in the early going.

Around Phase C we were both like "wow, this is a fun little game". We also both laughed about the fact that toward the end of setting it up, we both were considereing asking to play another game instead. We battled back and forth until the end of Phase E and even though he had a pretty good lead, I thought I would catch him as I had some Tech/Knowledge tiles that were giving me bonus points for several of my buildings. I had 16 bonus points but it wasn't enough as he had a tile that gave him 1 bonus point at the end for every Good he had sold throughout the game. He had sold 13 Goods. Tracy won the game 159-152 but we both agreed that it was a fun game and one we will certainly play again.

This is how my first board ended up. I had already cleared off my goods.

If this game is on your radar or someone you know has a copy, give it a spin, it is a very good game with lots of potential.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: First Game = Fun
Glad you like the game! Your first game sounds a lot better than my first game with my girlfriend. I think we have 70ish to 60ish score

You two probably are more seasoned gamers compared to us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my 2nd game tonight against my buddy Joe who has about 15 plays under his belt. This time I got all the ships and castles fairly early in the game and thought I was doing pretty good. Joe took lots of animals and all 3 mines. I made the mistake of letting him take several tiles with sheep on them. He played them all adjacent to each other and scored a ton of points. I got slaightered 198-155 but this game is totally growing on me. Joe let me borow it for the weekend and I am going to introduce the game to my buddy Jeff.

This was my board about 1/2 way through the game. I love how fast this plays with 2-players.

Just finished playing my 3rd game with my buddy Jeff. It was Jeff's first game and after watching one of the "how to play" videos he was ready to go. We briefly went over the rules and scoring methods and he won the roll for Starting Player. On his first turn he scored 11 quick points by completing the one space City and was off and running. He had the lead the entire game until the last Round of Phase E when I passed him on the scoring track. We added up Silverlings, Unsold Goods, and our University end of game scoring tiles. We were tied at 160 each when I looked down and realized that I did not count my 2 Workers for 1 more point. That gave me my first win 161-160. Even if I had forgot to count the 2 Workers, I would have won both Tie Breakers.

Jeff liked the game so much that he said he is going to buy his own copy, so now I can give Joe back his copy of the gameshake
Yes of course I am going to buy my own copy also. This game just gets better with every game I play. Tonight Jeff and I are going to draw random boards and see how that goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M.
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Glad you enjoyed your later games! Castles of Burgundy is probably my favorite 2-player Euro right now. I think my favorite part of it is that even though it looks complicated and has some involved strategies and combos, the underlying mechanics are extremely easy to teach. Most people I've taught catch on right away, even if they're not exactly sure what sorts of strategies they should be pursuing.

You're going to like expanding to boards #2-8. They really add a lot of depth and variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff wanted a rematch tonight after his disappointing 1 point loss in his first game. We each drew a random player board. Jeff got the board that had 1 and 2 on it and I got the one that has 1 and 5 on it. Jeff decided to play the number 2 side and I decided to play the number 5 board. I jumped out to an early lead and had up to a 35 point lead at times throughout the game. I knew I needed a huge lead to hold on for the win as Jeff had several yellow end of game bonus scoring tiles and I had none. He had the 4 points for every different animal, 3 points for each different colored sold good, 1 point for each sold good, 2 of the ones that give you 4 points for a certain type of building. I think most of you experienced players know where this story is headed.shake

The good news is that I had my higest score so far with 184 points. The bad news is that Jeff had his highest score so far with 204 points. He actually scored 40vp just from his yellow bonus tiles. Jeff got his first win at Castles of Burgundy and I got my worst beat down yet. After 4 games I have 1 win and 3 losses but I love this game more each time I play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.