Subject: Hours and salary rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Commander Harris
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I sit here waiting for the uneventful last part of my 15 hour shift to pass, I start to wonder. Would I want to work such hours in the future and how would I juggle that with a possible family, hobbies and financial commitments? Especially with the prospects perhaps being not as bright as they would have been 10 or 15 years ago.

So here's my question In other words, do you live to work or work to live? How much is it a conscious decision and how much is it an matter of circumstances? I'm expecting a wealth of wisdom!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Work enough to live how you want. Depending on what you do, how well you do it, and what sort of lifestyle you want, the actual amount of work will vary considerably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
If I could get away with not working I wouldn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnylawless wrote:

I don't think I could give it up. Even if I won the lottery, I think I'd want to do something. I might change focus to something I'd enjoy more or maybe work a little less, but I think I'd miss it. The things I do for fun are mostly fun as a relief from working. The brief periods of my adult life where I haven't had a job to go to I get incredibly bored. The first day or two is fun, playing video games all day or sitting on the patio smoking a cigar and reading a book, but after that I start getting restless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Money is a means by which to live your life; it's not the purpose. Work is nothing more than how one gets money and so is a means of getting a means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
jonnylawless wrote:

I don't think I could give it up. Even if I won the lottery, I think I'd want to do something. I might change focus to something I'd enjoy more or maybe work a little less, but I think I'd miss it. The things I do for fun are mostly fun as a relief from working. The brief periods of my adult life where I haven't had a job to go to I get incredibly bored. The first day or two is fun, playing video games all day or sitting on the patio smoking a cigar and reading a book, but after that I start getting restless.

I'd do something but something I love.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
max89 wrote:
As I sit here waiting for the uneventful last part of my 15 hour shift to pass, I start to wonder. Would I want to work such hours in the future and how would I juggle that with a possible family, hobbies and financial commitments? Especially with the prospects perhaps being not as bright as they would have been 10 or 15 years ago.

So here's my question In other words, do you live to work or work to live? How much is it a conscious decision and how much is it an matter of circumstances? I'm expecting a wealth of wisdom!

You can't work hours like this consistently. It will kill you.

But you can do it for a few years.

You should always save at least 20% of what you make. When you consider that you don't pay taxes on withdrawals from savings, you fund a year of retirement every three years. (and once the pile is big enough it starts to grow itself).

I think prospects will get brighter from late 2014 to 2020. I think early 2014 might be bad. After 2020, I think automation and robotics is going to get bad for humans. Still, boomer retirements will continue hot and heavy well past 2020.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
jonnylawless wrote:

I'm not getting restless. I do want to get a fun small business going but so far after nearly 120 days, I'm still recovering from the last job, reading lots of books (currently honor harrington series), making a lot of fresh food instead of eating out, etc.

I'm not boardgaming as much as I pictured.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I work to support my family.

If I actually enjoyed it enough to do it for free, it would be called 'play'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is one of the great tragedies of modern society that so many people spend half of their waking hours engaged in labor that they do not enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Commander Harris
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
max89 wrote:

You can't work hours like this consistently. It will kill you.

But you can do it for a few years.

You should always save at least 20% of what you make. When you consider that you don't pay taxes on withdrawals from savings, you fund a year of retirement every three years. (and once the pile is big enough it starts to grow itself).

I think prospects will get brighter from late 2014 to 2020. I think early 2014 might be bad. After 2020, I think automation and robotics is going to get bad for humans. Still, boomer retirements will continue hot and heavy well past 2020.

I definitely don't plan on doing that. I realize more and more that I value free time and to be able to now and again be able to do things outside of work/study. It might be a lousy work ethic, but I value free time over shiny things. I do realize it's hard to strike a balance due to external factors, but I think the west would do well to reappraise what is actually important.

/End of a western young man's idealistic utterings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Osirus wrote:
It is one of the great tragedies of modern society that so many people spend half of their waking hours engaged in labor that they do not enjoy.

Ahhhhh, the good old days...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
Osirus wrote:

At least you could enjoy it. yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
If we didn't have jobs what would we drive our cars to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
max89 wrote:

In the past, people in the US used to work 8-hour shifts, then spend nights on at home with their family and they would take two days off each week, often to go out with their friends.

Now, it's becoming frequently more common for people to work two jobs, each up to 6 hour shifts each. Usually people are working five out of every seven days, but six our of every seven is becoming common, too.

Culturally, people tend to reserve one day a week to "be themselves", whatever that means, and it usually means "Friday night" or "Sunday morning" has special significance for them either to go out with their friends or spend time with their family.

Some couples both work, and that takes a bit of the stress off, as at least then both could take an entire weekend (two days) off every week. Sometimes such couples may tend to reserve that time to do something productive in the household together, such as attend classes or get a third job -- since they can be less picky about this one, they can arrange to schedule it by time or place that allows them to still spend a little time together.

When children get involved... well, I don't know. I'm not there yet. Hopefully won't get there soon.

But it's hard. It's especially hard when you throw in ambitions of being a board game designer and novelist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnylawless wrote:

You would be surprised how easily that feeling can be reversed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I work to live. If I didn't need to work in order to provide, I wouldn't. I wouldn't miss it in the slightest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never liked my job but it's going to allow me to retire early. Pain now for future benefit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
I'm not boardgaming as much as I pictured.

THAT'S BECAUSE YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The trick is to do something you are really good at, pays well, and you love doing it. That is what I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
Osirus wrote:

(Impoverished potato farmer image)

Technological advances should be improving our lot; given how easy it is to get food and water these days, it seems a shame that we have to work for so many hours at useless jobs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Aren't you glad I'm not the pied piper?
badge
Move a little closer so I can reach out and light your beard on fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you live?
You do if you can work just enough to buy board games and play 'em!

Do you to work?
Everything you do is work. Life is work. Eating is work. Making out with a hot babe is work. Playing board games is work. It's all work, but some of it's more enjoyable than others.

Conscious decision?
Everything you do is a choice. There's red lights to run. There's green lights to wait for. Even if you don't have a choice (such as having to work), you can choose not to do so, and then you have still made a conscious decision. You can stop breathing too, but it's best to choose the easiest way to make that happen.

Matter of circumstances?
Unfortunately much of life is circumstantial. The job you do may be due to choices you made early on in life, such as not holding your breath long enough in the pool. However, there's choices to be made to change future events (provided you believe you have free will). Run that frigging red light and change it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
49xjohn wrote:

The trick is to do something you are really good at, pays well, and you love doing it. That is what I do.

I'm really good at teaching and playing boardgames - anyone caring to pay me for gaming?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quohog the great
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
max89 wrote:

Although not unique in my experiences and perspective. But currently I work 13 out of 14 days at the bare minimum sometimes i work everyday. but also i work 80+ hours a week. but i don't live to work. Several years back for about 3 years i worked 7 days a week between 2 jobs like now and juggling family time and everything was difficult. but that was easily fixed. I made the wife an ex and gave them the boot. after a few weeks i was down to 1 job (the one i'm at now) and massively reduced levels of stress. Though my situation was a bit more complex than that.

As for now I work my main job as a concious decision becaue of the circumstance. I've been ramping up my second job and expanding my business to the point to where hopefully i won't need my main job and work theoretically less. even though at that point i know i will likely be working the same but doing something i enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to work. At age 54, I decided I had worked enough. I am one of those fortunate enough to have an excellent pension.

Now my job consists of deciding what games to add to the collection.

This is more fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.