Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Cutcliffe
United Kingdom
Paignton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm puzzled by the relationship between crew points and actions in a Turn. Is it that the crew of a vehicle get 'action points' equal to their crew points, and can spend them on multiple actions in a turn? That seems the most logical way of doing things but it is not specifically stated anywhere as far as I can see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Cutcliffe
United Kingdom
Paignton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Replying to my own thread lacks finesse, I know, but I have found the answer to this one in the 'official' errata. It is indeed as I said - you can keep doing actions in a Turn until you run out of crew points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmbmbmb
So, are the Crew Points equal to the Crew Rating? For example in the pre-gen characters, The M1A4 Sherman "A" has a crew rating of 5. Does this mean I only get up to 5 crew points to spend a turn? Or are the Crew Points those actually listed in slot "Crew Points" in this case 21. (I assumed those "Crew Points" were simply for purchase power.)

The former seems like an extremely limited number versus the latter. (Which is probably lending itself towards my current annoyance at the game. Just when I think I have something figured out, I come up against something else.)

(also, I noticed Move Slow is 2 CP and Move Fast is 3 or All CP. I'm assuming this is just changing speeds from one to the other and not a constant deduction every round. Ex: US player is considered moving slow when a German activates, so I wouldn't have to keep deducting 2 CPs from my total every round I'm moving slowly. Only if I wanted to change from moving slowly to moving fast.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Cutcliffe
United Kingdom
Paignton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The way I read it, Crew Rating gives you the 'action points' for a Turn. Crew Points are what you use to buy your crews when generating the squad.

I personally spend 2 points to drive slow, per turn. The thing is that actually driving the tank takes up some of the crew's attention - the driver to drive, perhaps the assistant driver to change gears occasionally, the commander to tell the driver where to go. Driving fast requires more effort - concentration - so it costs more points to do.

So, for me, actually moving the tank costs the required number of points *per turn*

Know what yu mean about the rules frustration, though. And the GP fire rules could do with being completely rewritten....I'm working on that slowly, and will post any results (read: house rules) I come up with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok. That makes sense. And it makes sense that the Crew Points are those listed as "Crew Points." (I thought that was just simply to get higher initiative, driving skills, etc.) Otherwise you wouldn't be able to do anything during a round!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Cutcliffe
United Kingdom
Paignton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Actually it's not a clear as once I thought. The Errata states that a crew can perform any number of actions within a *Round*, not within a *Turn*. It says that a crew with a rating of 4 can fire its main gun twice in a *Round*, at 2 crew points per fire. Given that the 'Fire Main Gun' action (for 2 crew points) paragraph in 6.7 says that the Rate of Fire is the number of times a gun can be fired *in a Turn*, this would seem to fit. So to me it now seems as if you have to eke out your Crew points over the *Round* not over the Turn. This seems a bit silly to me....anyone else have any ideas on this?

And especially for an 88 Pak-43, the normal fire rate of 2 shots makes it especially deadly....how can anyone survive the first turn of
Mission 2? As Admiral Ackbar would say, "It's a trap!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Cutcliffe
United Kingdom
Paignton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
...in this case I think that, ironically, the Errata are wrong. I believe that you can spend *all* your Crew Points *each Turn*. Otherwise there's no point having two Turns or one Turn; you would still only be able to perform the same number of actions.

Evidence from the rulebook (not corrected or uncorrected by any frickin' errata!) would be in 7.5, Movement during Rounds. Here is says that 'A vehicle can perform as many movement Actions in the a Turn as it has Crew Points to do so'.

So, for myself, I will be giving all crews their full Crew Point allowance *per turn*, and I will let them fire the main gun as many times in their turn as they have crew points to do so. This means that a main Gun fire action will fire with the rate of fire *per crew action*, not per Turn. I think that the Erratum for 6.7 should have said 'Turns' not 'Rounds'; if I assume this then it all fits together and works just fine.

...and it does meant that the 88 can fire *four* times in a Turn, eight times in a Round....jeez....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think "TURN" is smaller than a "ROUND" and that you would be able to use all your crew points in each "TURN." But could only fire once a ROUND.... maybe.

Well, looking at the sample platoon in book, (which I was using for the First Mission) it says the M4A3 Sherman ID "A" has 21 crew points, with a crew rating of 5. So, does that mean I have 21 crew points or only 5 crew points to spend in a TURN?

If I have 21 crew points, I can do a HECK of a lot during a Turn, especially if I win the Initiative and get 2-TURNS for one ROUND. However, the fire rate on the Sherman is only 1 per ROUND (or 2 for Short range.) So, I could fire twice at Short Range for 4 crew points. But then I have to come up with things to do for the other 17 points?! That doesn't seem right.

If I have only 5 crew points per turn, that takes the amount of stuff I can do a pretty small amount. Especially if I have to keep spending 2 Crew Points a Round to continue to Move Slowly. Therefore, my M4A3 Sherman better get 2-TURNS every time, or he's not going to do much. My M10 Tank Destroyer "C" would only get 4 Crew Points (even though it cost me 3), and I would have to spend two of them to continue driving slowly, unless I stopped.

THIS actually makes a little more sense, and goes with the Errata listing for 6.7.

As far as survivability rate: for Mission 1 - My M10 "D" and M3A4 "B" bit the dust the first and second round of my very first combat. The M10 didn't even get a chance to blink.

Edit: you beat me to the punch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Cutcliffe
United Kingdom
Paignton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You have my total sympathy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.