Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Cutcliffe
United Kingdom
Paignton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In order for a tank to back-up, does it have to be 'Open', since backing up counts as a Move Fast action? And do we roll for an accident?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmbmbmb
Accidents only seem to occur if an event or paragraph tells you to make a check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Cutcliffe
United Kingdom
Paignton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
But the thing is that it's a Move Fast action, and doing a Move Fast action means that you need to roll for an accident; have I misunderstood?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, sorry I misread the rule about accidents. I read "certain events" as the Official EVENTS that happen in the game through paragraph checks.

7.1 bottom of the paragraph:
... When a vehicle is moving and exceeds its slow MPA, it is moving fast automatically, and an Accident Check must be made.

7.5 bottom of paragraph:
... A vehicle can back up into the hex directly behind it. This is {a} Move Fast Action, and it is the only hex a vehicle can move into that Turn. ...

7.8 Accident Checks
... An Accident Check is made at the instant that a vechile exceeds its SMPA or at the instant a non-tank vehicle's wheels or body is hit in combat. ...

Reading all these together seems to me to imply making an Accident Check: you're right.

(Though I'm not sure why backing up would be a FAST movement action. Unless it's just simply to ensure you are using all your movement points, as backing up is the only movement your vehicle can make that Turn. Given the nature of attempting to simulate realism, as MPAs are only expended in Action Rounds, perhaps it's to simulate the chaotic nature of combat. If I'm getting blasted at by Panzer fire and the only place I can go is backwards, I'm going to slam on the gas and get outta there! I'm not going to make a slow even crawl to make sure I don't hit anything!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
6.7 Move Fast
A tank must be open to move fast. If a German paragraph calls for a tank to move Fast when it is not open, substitute Move Slowly instead. ... if a vehicle is Backing Up (7.5), it must Move Fast to do so.

7.1 midway down
A closed vehicle can never move fast.

Hmm. Perhaps THAT'S why we need to make an Accident Check? I wouldn't think realistically you would be Opening Up to back up in combat. Maybe it's one of those circumstances that doesn't fit the normal rules. Maybe backing up is the exception?

For the US player: It would use two Crew Points to Open, and then 3 or all Crew Points to Move Fast, which would therefore be the only thing you could do that Turn.

For the German player: Movement is controlled by the paragraphs and cards.

Hmmm. (Man! I really wish these rules were better written. I'd LOVE to reformat and rewrite them, or make a better player aid or something - I just don't know how to do that.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Rowe
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
King_Drax_I wrote:
But the thing is that it's a Move Fast action, and doing a Move Fast action means that you need to roll for an accident; have I misunderstood?

I interpret this a little differently.

Per 7.5, backing up requires using a "Move Fast" action. Per 7.1, the vehicle must be Open to perform such an action. Thus, a vehicle must be Open to back up. I presume the commander must pop up out of the turret to see where they are going.

Per 7.8, a vehicle is required to make an accident when it exceeds its slow MPA. This is not the case when a vehicle is backing up. Thus, I don't believe an accident check is required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Cutcliffe
United Kingdom
Paignton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
These are all great replies; thanks everyone!

I think that, on balance, the last posting is an acceptable compromise. The tank must be Open but there's no accident roll....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
King_Drax_I wrote:
These are all great replies; thanks everyone!

I think that, on balance, the last posting is an acceptable compromise. The tank must be Open but there's no accident roll....

I'll buy that, too. thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Cutcliffe
United Kingdom
Paignton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Smoke me a kipper.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.