Subject: About the "relationship" table rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lorenzo Carnevale
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
IMO I don't agree about letting users cast a vote on the "agree/disagree", at least for all the kinds of relationship.
I understand that saying "game X is a sibling to game Y" is a stataments that gives place for various opinions and then there's a point in making a 'poll'... but what about "Y is an expansion to X"?
There are games that
1) are expansions [like Carcassone expansions]
2) are standalone games that can be used as expansions [see MTG sets]
3) can be used as expansions

I think that the first two don't give way to questioning and could make just confusion.
Cheers, sorry for the crappy english

Lorenzo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Solaris"]IMO I don't agree about letting users cast a vote on the "agree/disagree", at least for all the kinds of relationship.
I understand that saying "game X is a sibling to game Y" is a stataments that gives place for various opinions{/q]

All of the terms are poorly defined.

"Sibling" is particularly poorly defined. Games aren't born and don't have parents--let alone the same ones!

Sibling can mean several things:
- games that are part of a "series" as recognized by the designer or manufacturer. ("Card Driven" Wargame series--these games may have cards which can be used as events or for "operations" but otherwise have little else in common in mechanics and have different designers/developers. The Gipf series--these are all designed by the same person but have no mechanics in common although in theory they can "linked" to create an uber game.)
- Games that share a key mechanics, but otherwise are different (Like Knizia auction games)
- Games that have a similar theme.
- Games that have the same word in the title , which may or may not be a similar game otherwise: Phase 10 dice, Garden of Alhambra, Uno Attack, Yahtzee Texas Holdem, etc.
- Games that new element was added to an existing game or a game was modifed: Schotten Totten to Battle Line, Grand National Derby to Titan-the Arena, Funkenschlag to Power Grid, etc. (Or are these "redevelpments")

Quote:
and then there's a point in making a 'poll'...

That's one of the more silly things around here. Voting for ill-defined terms no one knows what they mean anyway never provides useful information. See "average game weight" for another example.

Quote:
but what about "Y is an expansion to X"?
There are games that
I think that the first two don't give way to questioning and could make just confusion.

Expansions are relatively well-defined, at least if you have something that requires a game to play, then it is defitely an expansion. But there are also games that can be played separately or be used as an expansion--Magic base sets, Mamma Mia/Sole Mio, Scarab Lord/Minotaur Lords.

Quote:

No problem. Your English is MUCH better than my Italian.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solaris wrote:
IMO I don't agree about letting users cast a vote on the "agree/disagree", at least for all the kinds of relationship.
I understand that saying "game X is a sibling to game Y" is a stataments that gives place for various opinions and then there's a point in making a 'poll'... but what about "Y is an expansion to X"?
There are games that

Lorenzo

Lorenzo,

Here is a perfect example of why voting *is* a good thing:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/20881

In the relationship table, someone decided that 'You Must Be An Idiot' is an expansion to 'Carcassonne' and is also the same game as 'Go'. Clearly, this is not the case and the users have voted on this quite clearly that these are incorrect relationships. Your statement about 'sibling' being more of an opinion I would agree with though since it's not clearly defined.

The only way I'd agree with removing user voting is if the relationship had to be admin approved. Otherwise you'll see more games like the one I mentioned above with silly relationships added as a joke or for whatever reason. It would also be nice if the the ratio of yea/nay would trigger an event to notify the administration. Like if 10:1 users say 'no' then the admins would be notified to investigate and maybe make a correction.

And your English is perfect!

Take it easy,

jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the voting, as it allows some sort of consensus to develop. But I wish that something would be done once a consensus is reached.

Is there any way to delete these relationships? I entered a bunch for Settlers of Catan, but during one of them I actually used the wrong type of relationship. I voted against that one, then entered the correct relationship. But is there anything I can do beyond that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Johnson
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have also entered a couple of bad relationships. I don't know where I got the number 1475, but I ended up relating a couple games to Careers instead of Chess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.