Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Epp
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any strategies I might be missing in crushing the Mentak once they have their racial technologies and Flagship?

Not being able to soak damage and the pirates being able to proliferate TG is tough to overcome.

My thoughts so far:

1) Fighters are a must, since sustain damage isn't an option
2) Pick a race with a technological/economical edge
3) Try and limit them early, but tough to do with those precombat shots

I think the best races to counter are
1) Hacan (production of fighters, TG for objectives)
2) Naalu (better fighters)
3) Saar (Fighter swarms, of course)

Am I missing any obvious Flagship abilities or racial techs that might be useful?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Halbower
United States
Muskegon
Michigan
flag msg tools
Not Oswald!!!
badge
Vic Mackey
mbmbmbmbmb
If your goal is to simply beat the Mentak in battle, I would suggest the Sardakk N'orr. With their flagship and Exotrimeme, the Mentak would go down quick. The C’morran Norr duplicates the Sardakk N'orr's ability in space while Exotrieme allow the N'orr to destroy any two ships in combat for the price of one of your dreadnaughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Freitas
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The virus beats them pretty easily.

Sac a unit to steal their trade good racial power. Giving you one of the best racial techs in the game

Counter their flagship with your flagship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Epp
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
excellent ideas.

the idea is to win the game over them, which will usually involves conquest with our particular setting.

I love the N'orr despite their rep, and the Virus would be awesome for stealing their tech.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
My solution... don't let them get their technologies and FG.

One strategy I used was to tell an opponent "if you research technology XYZ, I will destroy you before you can use it." So they didn't research it at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arandor .
Netherlands
Helmond
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gylthinel wrote:
My solution... don't let them get their technologies and FG.

One strategy I used was to tell an opponent "if you research technology XYZ, I will destroy you before you can use it." So they didn't research it at all.

If you tried that on me, I would definitely research the technology even if I didn't even plan to beforehand, then utterly crush you with it.

Next time, I'd say "remember what happened when you tried to threaten me?" arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Epp
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exotrireme = devastating against all opposition, including the Mentak.

Any space battles I lost were pyrrhic victories for the opposition, losing loaded carriers and warsuns all over the place.

I still think that the combination of Mirror Computing, Transfabrication, and Salvage Operations (not to mention the denial of sustaining damage) is just too good. The Mentak have few if any weaknesses.

No, they didn't win, but I think they easily could have and they were also impossible to keep down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
The Mentak would be weakened by their Production Capacity.

Their HS has a maximum of 7 Production Capacity.
If you ensure they don't get a good double-planet system under control long enough to churn out a ton of units, they'll never get to spend it.

However, it takes a dual front and/or Nano Technology to be in the running for victory while keeping the Mentak in check. You really need Hacan /funding/ a N'orr player while a Yin or Naalu player weaken his other flank.

PDS swarms are a MUST, and maximizing pre-combat isn't going to be nearly as effective as ACs or 2x more units, and a way to cut off the ability to produce.

I think the N'orr comment above is the fault of the players building those units. If someone has a targeted "destroy" ability, there is no longer a reason to build War Suns unless you fully intend on annihilating the N'orr Dreadnaught(s) prior to the end of the first round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clark
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any race with movement 2 carriers from the start.

For Mentak to get their racial tech AND flagship requires a lot of resources.

Go hard early with carriers and fighters so they have to use their resources for defence and they never get their cool stuff going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.