Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I was looking for recommendations, but I have a few stipulations of what I am looking for.

1. Needs to be a quality implementation of a good strategy board game

2. Needs to be fun single player (decent AI)

3. Needs to be a game I am interested in trying and thinking about buying (I realize this isn't something easy to figure out, so just fire away whatever you think and I will sort through the responses)

Names I saw come up on the boards a lot were Ascension and Le Havre, could anyone confirm if they fit #1 and #2?

And if you could briefly explain why your suggestion fits, that would be awesome- thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neuroshima Hex, while a bit more tactical than strategic, is a blast on iOS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
New world colony isn't a board game but I've become addicted to playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Dahl
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ascension and Le Havre are both strong tiles. I've played a ton of Ascension and now beat the AI pretty handedly, but it's easy to jump into an online game against a more challenging opponent. I think this game has the best tablet interface of any I've played so far. Le Havre is also a strong title. It's a bit too euro for my taste, but the interface works well and I have played a number of games. I'd probably play more Le Harve if the pace was a bit quicker.

Here are my other recommendations:

Alien Frontier is another of my favorites, but sadly suffers from not having a tutorial. I highly recommend it if you already know how to play, or are willing to take the time to learn.

Tichu is one of my most recent purchases, and is a FANTASTIC trick taking / ladder climbing game. I can definitely tell that I'll be getting my money's worth out of this one.

Ticket to Ride is a really fun game, and works brilliantly on my ipad. The missing social aspect of playing this game digitally seems like more of a loss than some of these other suggestions IMHO.

Stone Age is a lighter euro style game that has a great interface design. Easy to learn and play, and recently upgraded for retina graphics.

Can't Stop is a great quick near-brainless press your luck game. My only complaint is that I think the digital version might help you too much by giving you all of the possible ways to sum two of your four dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Pedro
msg tools
mbmb
Summoner Wars - great game, great implementation, good AI. 5 stars if you like the theme
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.