United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
The situation IS getting gratch
badge
Useless, useless, heavy rain, driving into the sea
mbmbmbmbmb
My group played this for the first time last night, and we didn't realize until most of the way through the game that each export country didn't have the same amount of flags.

This seems like a strange design choice given that the country with only 2 flags doesn't score any more VP during export. I wonder if there is a historical reason for this?

Something I think would be more interesting is if the game came with 9 flags and in setup you secretly discarded one of the flags.

Overall my group had fun, but this flag business really rubbed us the wrong way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
Judging the heavy theme integration in this game, perhaps that was just historically a smaller market than the other two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely something everyone needs to be aware of right up front as it's more lucrative to get in early at the two locations that are more likely to pay off three times rather than the one that may only come up twice. I'll have to look in the German historical documentation to see if they reference the two locations that received more coal from export shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ode.
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you notice, that you can rebuild your export houses? Cost 2 coins... And you get 2 VP when building (but not, when rebuilding...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Squires
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
The situation IS getting gratch
badge
Useless, useless, heavy rain, driving into the sea
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

bayerbube wrote:
Did you notice, that you can rebuild your export houses? Cost 2 coins... And you get 2 VP when building (but not, when rebuilding...).

Although we got a few rules wrong, this one we played correctly. Thanks for checking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
o0dano0o wrote:
My group played this for the first time last night, and we didn't realize until most of the way through the game that each export country didn't have the same amount of flags.

Something I think would be more interesting is if the game came with 9 flags and in setup you secretly discarded one of the flags.

Overall my group had fun, but this flag business really rubbed us the wrong way.

Yeah, this bugged me when I played too. I chose one column, my wife chose another, hers paid off more times than mine. I attributed it to luck, then noticed later that I literally had no chance of mine paying off 3 times like hers did.

I'd much rather have it be random than scripted taking the same ones each time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
If this is an issue for you, why not shuffle two of each flag and place them in the last six spots, then place the other two in the first two slots.

If you build early, you get the benefit, but if you build slightly later, you get even odds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse McGatha
United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine it's for historical reasons.

That said, there are only 9 possible rounds where flags might appear (you can't earn enough cubes to build a warehouse in Port Ruhort before round 4). Since the last round is guaranteed to have no high water/low water tile drawn and there is a progress marker incentive to return to Ruhrort in the last turn, the final turn would have a bigger VP advantage for whatever flag turned up there. So I can understand if there is not an export flag because is a bit more fair, in terms of the game design. So as soon as you are to only 8 flags, you have this problem.

That said, I do wish Spielworxx would provide an extra Belgium flag in an expansion. That way you can secretly pick 8 of the 9 flags and remove 1 from the game unseen. In the meanwhile, it's easy enough to put this together as a print and play project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jester wrote:
I imagine it's for historical reasons.

That said, there are only 9 possible rounds where flags might appear (you can't earn enough cubes to build a warehouse in Port Ruhort before round 4). Since the last round is guaranteed to have no high water/low water tile drawn and there is a progress marker incentive to return to Ruhrort in the last turn, the final turn would have a bigger VP advantage for whatever flag turned up there. So I can understand if there is not an export flag because is a bit more fair, in terms of the game design. So as soon as you are to only 8 flags, you have this problem.

That said, I do wish Spielworxx would provide an extra Belgium flag in an expansion. That way you can secretly pick 8 of the 9 flags and remove 1 from the game unseen. In the meanwhile, it's easy enough to put this together as a print and play project.

For those of us who play the low luck variant, I WOULD LOVE REVERSED FLAG CURVES TOO. It's killing my gaming ocd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.