United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This just in from CSW:

Nuclear Subs: replace "US actions" with "US coup attempts" (or other Ops plays, if any?) -- other US actions (i.e., events) will still affect the DEFCON level as normal.

Jason Matthews wrote:

Thomas Prowell wrote:
My Soviet opponent has played Nuclear Subs in our ongoing CB game. The card text says: "US actions do not affect the DEFCON track for the rest of the turn."

My question is -- does this mean all actions? So if I play an event like Summit, ABM Treaty or How I Learned to Stop Worrying, I don't get to move the marker, even if it would be beneficial to me?

US "actions" should be read as referring to use of operations; not to manipulation of the DEFCON through events.

URL for CSW post:
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@3.KnzQbOabKBI.0@.1dcfda6...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wilson
United States
Carsoin
California
flag msg tools
Rulemonger wrote:
This just in from CSW:

Nuclear Subs: replace "US actions" with "US coup attempts" (or other Ops plays, if any?) -- other US actions (i.e., events) will still affect the DEFCON level as normal.

Jason Matthews wrote:

Thomas Prowell wrote:
My Soviet opponent has played Nuclear Subs in our ongoing CB game. The card text says: "US actions do not affect the DEFCON track for the rest of the turn."

My question is -- does this mean all actions? So if I play an event like Summit, ABM Treaty or How I Learned to Stop Worrying, I don't get to move the marker, even if it would be beneficial to me?

US "actions" should be read as referring to use of operations; not to manipulation of the DEFCON through events.

URL for CSW post:
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@3.KnzQbOabKBI.0@.1dcfda6...

Rulemonger,

Your quote-- above -- slightly exaggerates what Jason said. He did not change the print on the card, just clarified that by Actions it refers to ops plays. In other words, it was a clarification, not an errata. If Jason chooses to errata the card it would probably replace "US Actions" with "US operational points."

David "the preacher" wilson

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. Scott Johnson
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abimilech wrote:
Your quote-- above -- slightly exaggerates what Jason said. He did not change the print on the card, just clarified that by Actions it refers to ops plays. In other words, it was a clarification, not an errata. If Jason chooses to errata the card it would probably replace "US Actions" with "US operational points."

How is playing an event not an action?
It is an action. (See 4.5.D and 9.2)

Changing it is not a clarification. It is errata.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OH yes, how many angels on the head of a pin are needed for the tiebreak conditions on this one?

Dictionary definitions on 'clarification' and 'errata', coming up....laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. Scott Johnson
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
OH yes, how many angels on the head of a pin are needed for the tiebreak conditions on this one?

Dictionary definitions on 'clarification' and 'errata', coming up....laugh

Heh. Well, whatever you want to call it.

I use "errata" as a label for a change in the meaning/function of a card, whether the official statement of that change involves the label "errata" or not.

If it's a change from what's printed, it's errata. To me, any way. Not that it matters. Calling it a clarification won't make it any less a change.

I was just putting the change up on BGG so that those who don't read CSW (a group that would have included me up until this week) would know about the change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. Scott Johnson
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found an old post on CSW which gave the opposite answer (under Nuclear Subs, "no US events either degrade or improve DEFCON") -- post #916.

So which will it be?

Jason?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony M
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has it been decided which ruling is official on this ?

-T

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. Scott Johnson
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No official response has been made on the contradictory rulings, AFAIK, no.

So just go with the most recent ruling -- not the one that matches the printed card. (That's what I included in the collected rulings -- the entry in that collection links to both of the rulings, for reference).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. Scott Johnson
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I did find a recent quote from Jason on CSW:

Jason Matthews on CSW #2813 wrote:
The only real question is whether or not we will be making official changes to cards. Speaking for myself (and not necessarily Ananda), I am profoundly opposed to doing so. In general, changes that require "insider knowledge" like reading this list or the Geek should be avoided. It leads to confusion and irritation. I know we have errata already. I hate it, and the less errata the better. Most of the errata is minor and fortunately, when we update the living rules, Australia at least will be fixed without needing to reprint things like cards and the map.

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@113.OqOCb1AoREm.16@.1dcf...

It's a very good policy, and I only wish it had been applied whenever possible (notably using printed versions of Nuclear Subs, Bear Trap, and Quagmire rather than the official changes to those cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.