Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually find that the start of the game is tough, taking lots of damage, until you open up a few rooms and get a few treasures, after that you have more control.

I hate the boulder trap, it is particularly punishing for single player, and stupid! Whirling blades is the same. Maybe remove them from the deck for single player. For multi player, you get more chances to disarm it before it strikes again.

Or you could try playing with several heroes, then some of their abilities are more useful, and the pacing is different, monsters/traps don't attack every turn. I sometimes use 2 heroes and a small marker to show whose turn it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah.. don't forget to get a treasure on each turn that you kill a monster.. and that you can turn in monster cards totally 5 experience points to avoid an encounter.. and... yeah.. solo with a mage can get interesting in a hurry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Kane
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
They'll tell you black is really white The moon is just the sun at night
badge
And when you walk in golden halls You get to keep the gold that falls It's Heaven and Hell
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, dungeoneering by one's self is rough work. Bring some friends for backup next time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aanlaien wrote:
Although I admit, I think my luck ran out when it came to drawing encounter cards...

The weak point of the game. These cards are just "lose HP every turn" cards. Sort of a timer to artificially increase difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
I had fun contributing cards to these fan variants. You might like them:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/80264/woa-room-event-d...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/64402/ninjadorgs-dd-ad...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Neto
Brazil
Rio das Ostras
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first adventure is aways fun and deadly when you are new. Don't forget the treasure! only one per turn, even if you kill more than one monster.
If you found this game hard, try Castle ravenloft first adventure. You have Strad behind you! One of the best adventures so far, you really get nervous, because when strad awakes, you really need to speed up your way. You can even hear the vampire waking calmly into your throat...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
some geek
msg tools
When I started playing with my friends we were in 'hard mode' for a long while while we learned to play correctly...

We didn't draw a treasure card for each player at the beginning of the game.

Every tile placed with a black triangle, even by monsters, we pulled an encounter card.

We saved our XP and didn't counter encounters often enough or countered weak encounter cards.

We blew our daily/utilities too early and didn't save them for later on in the game when they really did work.

We played the pally. (loved my pally in WoW but this one needs to stay on the bench).

We didn't explore enough.

This being said, I'm looking forward to more Ashardalon, the community expansion material and Drizzt!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
United States
West Nyack
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
somegeek wrote:
When I started playing with my friends we were in 'hard mode' for a long while while we learned to play correctly...

We didn't draw a treasure card for each player at the beginning of the game.

You're supposed to draw a treasure card at the beginning? Darn! That might have helped ... probably not!

somegeek wrote:
Every tile placed with a black triangle, even by monsters, we pulled an encounter card.

Actually, that was one question I had from my first play. But, my first game I was having quite enough trouble to not add to it with "extra" encounter cards.

somegeek wrote:
We played the pally. (loved my pally in WoW but this one needs to stay on the bench).

Yep, started with Paladin. I could tell I was probably in trouble given all her Utility powers needed other heroes in order to be useful. I decided that since every other D&D game I have ever played allows a Paladin to heal him/herself with Lay on Hands, that in this game, I would allow that as well even though the card disagreed with me. Didn't make much of a difference, only delayed the inevitable. But, after 1 playing, I'm not ready to give up on the Paladin. They're my favorite class and I didn't get the sense she was completely outclassed. Maybe after a few more plays... :)

somegeek wrote:
We didn't explore enough.

Solo ... explore and get more monsters ganging up on you. Don't explore, and get more traps ganging up on you. Didn't seem to matter much in my first game.

Quote:
This being said, I'm looking forward to more Ashardalon, the community expansion material and Drizzt!

For me, not so much Drizzt, but ditto otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.