Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: A Few Good War Games?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rori Lee
msg tools
It's me YET again...whistle

I'm looking for a few good war games. Not so much in the style of Memoir 44, but more like C&C Ancients (or other GMT type games).

Nope--I've never played a war game, not even Risk. What I don't want is a "beginner" game that I play 3x and shelve because it gets old. snore I'd rather start with something that is challenging yet has oodles of "replayability". ninja

I'm ready to branch out from primarily Euros and "fluffy" games, and looking for a serious but satisfying challenge thumbsup

Thanks!
3 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
C&C Ancients is a great game if that's a period that interests you. The game plays quickly, and there are lots of scenarios. I personally never get tired of it.

When choosing wargames, it's important to figure out what historical period you're interested in, what scale (e.g., individual battles vs. campaigns vs. whole wars/theaters). Then you'll also want to think about how long you want your games to last, and how many players.

There are a number of geeklists on "Starter Wargames", such as:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/57322/simple-but-deep-warg...
http://boardgame.geekdo.com/geeklist/28328/my-favorite-low-c...
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/431106
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/24083/
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Ulman
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


I'm not a regular war gamer, but I love Napoleon's Triumph.

It a visually stunning and tactically deep war game which takes a decidedly unique perspective on the genera. Highly recommended.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some meaty wargames that enjoy good replayability:
Twilight Struggle - my favorite and #1 overall on BGG
War of the Ring (Second Edition) - I have only played 1st ed + expansion, but this is the new base model
Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ? - the most assymetric wargame I have played
Red Winter: The Soviet Attack at Tolvajärvi, Finland – 8-12 December 1939 - based on an obscure battle from WWII, the game is challenging, well thought out, and very playable



2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rori Lee
msg tools
Thank you for the ideas and for the links!! *jumps for joy*
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rori Lee
msg tools
ulmangt wrote:


I'm not a regular war gamer, but I love Napoleon's Triumph.

It a visually stunning and tactically deep war game which takes a decidedly unique perspective on the genera. Highly recommended.


WOO HOO!! *runs off to look at game* Thank you!!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rori Lee
msg tools
actuaryesquire wrote:
Some meaty wargames that enjoy good replayability:
Twilight Struggle - my favorite and #1 overall on BGG
War of the Ring (Second Edition) - I have only played 1st ed + expansion, but this is the new base model
Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ? - the most assymetric wargame I have played
Red Winter: The Soviet Attack at Tolvajärvi, Finland – 8-12 December 1939 - based on an obscure battle from WWII, the game is challenging, well thought out, and very playable



Ooh Ooh Ooh! Red Winter is on my list to check out Thank you!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve DeBaun
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I am a bit biased -- I'm the designer -- but you might really enjoy Ars Victor. The grand champion at last year's tournament described it as a cross between Warhammer 40k and Command & Colors: Ancients. We had a reviewer describe it as a meaty intro wargame. I myself am a hardcore gamer, and designed AV as something that's simple to learn, plays fast and furious, but still has lots of tactical depth.

You can get a free print-and-play and VASSAL module at the website:
http://www.arsvictor.com

There's also a big tutorial video, a VASSAL walkthrough, tons of other info about the game.

If you like it, you can get an actual physical game through our Kickstarter project, which is launching in EIGHT DAYS AIEEEEEEEE

*panics, runs off*
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rori Lee
msg tools
sdebaun wrote:
I am a bit biased -- I'm the designer -- but you might really enjoy Ars Victor. The grand champion at last year's tournament described it as a cross between Warhammer 40k and Command & Colors: Ancients. We had a reviewer describe it as a meaty intro wargame. I myself am a hardcore gamer, and designed AV as something that's simple to learn, plays fast and furious, but still has lots of tactical depth.

You can get a free print-and-play and VASSAL module at the website:
http://www.arsvictor.com

There's also a big tutorial video, a VASSAL walkthrough, tons of other info about the game.

If you like it, you can get an actual physical game through our Kickstarter project, which is launching in EIGHT DAYS AIEEEEEEEE

*panics, runs off*


LOL Thank you very much, and the best of luck to you!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lucid
United States
Mountain House
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hammer of the Scots is one of my favorites.

Go on ebay and buy some classic hex and counters like Afrika Korps, Battle of the Bulge, D-day. You'll have plenty of opportunities to play them via Vassal (online or PBEM)

Look up Charles Roberts and see what he did for wargames, then browse some art from Roger MacGowan and get your brain wired for war games.

Otherwise you have to narrow down your interests a bit. When you say I don't like Memoir 44 but CCA is cool, we're confused because it's the same type of game just a different theme.

Here's the questions to address:
-how many players are you looking for?
-what's the target audience (ASL gamers, Ameritrash, Euro gamers, Grandma and the kids...?
-Got an interest in mil history? Any periods/regions in particular?
-are you interested more in a game or a realistic simulation i.e. whoa, what is all this, I just want to play a game that has a war theme?

You'll get an answer that more accurately addresses your needs. Speaking as a guy who has a lot of games on the shelf that I don't get to play or lost interest in them becasue they didn't address what i was looking for (no offense to Richard Berg but I don't have the patience for you Sir).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rori Lee
msg tools
zaphod b wrote:
Hammer of the Scots is one of my favorites.
This is on my wish list

Go on ebay and buy some classic hex and counters like Afrika Korps, Battle of the Bulge, D-day. You'll have plenty of opportunities to play them via Vassal (online or PBEM)
What is "Vassal"?

Look up Charles Roberts and see what he did for wargames, then browse some art from Roger MacGowan and get your brain wired for war games.

Otherwise you have to narrow down your interests a bit. When you say I don't like Memoir 44 but CCA is cool, we're confused because it's the same type of game just a different theme.
What I mean is I want something complex as hell--I am BORED with Euros :o( Most of them leaving me feeling empty--kind of "well that was fun, now what?"

Here's the questions to address:

-how many players are you looking for?
1 to 3

-what's the target audience (ASL gamers, Ameritrash, Euro gamers, Grandma and the kids...?
Me (mostly like heavier Euros) and maybe my kids (11 yr old twins, but sharp)

-Got an interest in mil history? Any periods/regions in particular?
Nothing in particular, but I prefer ancient history. Mind you, I'm easy (just not cheap) and open to most anything if it's quality

-are you interested more in a game or a realistic simulation i.e. whoa, what is all this, I just want to play a game that has a war theme?
Dunno the answer to this...

You'll get an answer that more accurately addresses your needs. Speaking as a guy who has a lot of games on the shelf that I don't get to play or lost interest in them becasue they didn't address what i was looking for (no offense to Richard Berg but I don't have the patience for you Sir).

Thank you! I'd like to refine my search, but as I'm new to wargaming, I've no idea really. I just know I'm dead tired of paying $50 for a game that leaves me bored and frustrated. And broke.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve DeBaun
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
@Rori - thanks for the follow!

zaphod b wrote:
Speaking as a guy who has a lot of games on the shelf that I don't get to play or lost interest in them becasue they didn't address what i was looking for (no offense to Richard Berg but I don't have the patience for you Sir).


*cough* Pax Romana *cough*
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Killian
United States
Watertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maria. It needs exactly three players and it's unlike any other designer's wargames out there (which may or may not be a good thing from your perspective), but if those aren't hurdles, you have a game that is beautiful to look at, immense fun to play, and wraps up in time for it to be playable on a weeknight.

Wilderness War. Increasingly becoming my favorite two-player card-driven wargame. Because the topic (the French and Indian War) isn't exactly huge with wargamers, it tends to get lost in the shuffle a bit. But for me, it's the perfect sweet spot in terms of detail, playability, complexity, and depth.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rori Lee
msg tools
CmdrOverbite wrote:
Maria. It needs exactly three players and it's unlike any other designer's wargames out there (which may or may not be a good thing from your perspective), but if those aren't hurdles, you have a game that is beautiful to look at, immense fun to play, and wraps up in time for it to be playable on a weeknight.

Wilderness War. Increasingly becoming my favorite two-player card-driven wargame. Because the topic (the French and Indian War) isn't exactly huge with wargamers, it tends to get lost in the shuffle a bit. But for me, it's the perfect sweet spot in terms of detail, playability, complexity, and depth.


Thank you!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For WW2 Tactical, try Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rori Lee
msg tools
Sevej wrote:


Thank you
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi Applegate
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1812: The Invasion of Canada
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.