Subject: What card are you? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in College, I once took a Human Behavior class. A short while into the term, the teacher split up the class of 25 into 5 groups of 5 people. We would then work on in-class projects as groups, and we were often competing with the rest of the groups in some odd challenge or another.

We had a strong group. We worked well together.
During the section on Group Dynamics, the teacher asked us, at the beginning of the class, to assign ourselves and each of the other people in the group a "Card Rank", from Ace (strongest) down to 10 (weakest). We were allowed to use any criteria that we wanted to.
The results were fascinating.

Our group of five consisted of an Enthusiastic Guy, a Knowledgeable guy, an Innovative gal, a Diplomatic gal, and a Compliant guy.

Compliant guy was a bit of a joker, always ready for a laugh but rarely contributing much input to decisions unless pushed by another member.
Diplomatic gal was always looking to provide balance, and was often the deciding vote if it came down to one.
Innovative gal could visualize outcomes, and provided many initial ideas as well as tweaks on final ideas.
Knowledgeable guy was well spoken, and respected by all. He oozed confidence.
Enthusiastic guy was just that. Ready to offer opinions, do what needed to be done, and encourage the rest of the group.

Can you guess who I was?
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I was Enthusiastic guy

Anyhoo, the card rankings.
I ranked Knowledgeable guy as the Ace of the group, Diplomatic gal as King, myself as Queen, Innovative gal as Jack, and Compliant guy as 10.
It turned out that the rest of the group thought that I was more influential than I gave myself credit for, but two others agreed with me on the Ace position (Compliant guy and Diplomatic gal also voted for Knowledgeable guy).
I got an Ace from Knowledgeable guy (!) and 3 Kings from the rest of them.
So he was the Ace, I was the King, Diplomatic gal was given the Queen, and the Jack went to Innovative gal.
We all, including Compliant guy himself, ranked him as the 10.

Do you ever work in groups of 4 or 5 people? Who is the Ace in your group? What card are you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also Enthusiastic Guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to think I was Knowledgeable Guy, or perhaps Diplomatic Guy, but I fear that I'm really just Compliant Guy.

If that's OK with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to think I'm Knowledgeable Guy. But sometimes I'm just Annoying Guy.

In college psychology, I read about a study where people were put into groups and asked to work on a task together. After, each person was asked to list all participants (including themselves) from "most helpful" down to "least helpful." Most people put themselves up near the top, nobody wanted to admit that they were in the less-helpful half of the group, so overall people rated themselves higher than others rated them. But the key interesting part? People who suffered from chronic depression tended to rate themselves much more accurately. What does this mean? Are non-depressed people happy only because their inflated egos prevent them from seeing how truly worthless they are? Does depression allow people to see their own performance in an unbiased manner? No idea. But whatever the case, I found it a hilarious study.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

Here's my card...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Finch
United Kingdom
BERKSHIRE
flag msg tools
badge
Rule changes for tonight's game:-
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
I'm usually the chameleon of the group. I can play any part that is lacking. Like if the group doesn't have a lazy guy, I'll be that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
I'm usually the chameleon of the group. I can play any part that is lacking. Like if the group doesn't have a lazy guy, I'll be that.
Wow... that sounds like a lot of work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i actually am a card in the literal sense (also wolverine on a comic book cover)

people tell me that i influenced them in HS...had no idea. some people are just plain terrified of me for no reason what-so-ever...probably because i have a big brow ridge and heavy eyebrows and thick eyelashes so i tend to squint all the time and it is interpreted as a scowl

i pretty much work by myself since the mid 90s....but ive always been in charge of whatever work group ive been in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HMS Iron Duke
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the strict terms of your question, I'm the King. I make a great second in command. I can be the hard-ass driving the process forward while allowing the leader to be the good guy. I have lots of ideas, I'm able to see the flaws in other ideas and I have a great perspective on what the end product should look like. I will think of the problems that no one else will see and devise ways to avoid them. By role I'd be the Innovative Guy. As a King, I get to generate ideas and then work like a dog to get those ideas implemented. I don't want the "leader" credit, I want the leader to tell me that the group couldn't have done it without me.

I am not a good Ace. If no one else will step in, I'll do it but my Ace looks a lot like my King. I will be the hard-ass driving the process forward. That isn't so great in an Ace (ass).

I am self-reflective enough to understand all that and so I don't actively seek out the Ace. I'd rather be the King of success then the Ace of Failure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hskrfn822 wrote:

You and me both mate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Otherwise....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a little like Koldfoot, I think. I tend to fill in for any of the above roles. In my order of preference, though:

My happiest/proudest moments are when I am the innovator, coming up with a concept (sometimes even workable) from left field.

If things are getting done and in a manner to which I don't object, I am fine with being compliant guy and tag along for the ride.

In many areas, I know stuff, often weird esoteric stuff about a lot of topics (often off-topic).

I am sometimes diplomatic, but probably more of a Devil's Advocate. I'll jump in on whichever side seems to be losing early in the process. If we are running against a deadline, though, I often am the one to try to end debate.

Depending on activity, I can be enthusiastic guy, but prefer to leave cheerleading to others. Often I'll be working on a fix/solution while debate is taking place. Then offer it up when there's a lull. Or some projects, when there are tasks that it's pretty clear will have to be done regardless of direction, I'll work on those while the debate goes on.

Interestingly when there has been feedback from the group, I tend to be classed most often as innovator or knowledgeable. Evidently, I hide my compliance guy well enough most of the time*.

My son is in a math/science/tech program in high school now. He says the part that he likes best is that he doesn't have to do all the work on group projects in those classes.

*Although I did have one lab partner in college that would have me firmly in the lazy/compliant camp and one time at work, a co-worker said I was amazing at getting things done efficiently, but only when backed into a corner with no escape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.