Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Metz
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if any game is suited to play by forum, this would be it. Any thoughts on how such a thing would be accomplished? I've never moderated or participated in a PBF before, but with enough advice and encouragement, I would be willing to moderate or if there's a volunteer for such a task, would absolutely participate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JASON MAXWELL
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is easily doable, Brad. Richard may know something about play by forum. I'll ask him. But either way you can sign me up to play as well as help you figure out how to run it. I have no experience with playing by forum but I don't think it would be difficult. -Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you would need one neutral "game master" (to borrow an RPG term) to keep track of who has which card/token and private message the players with that information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Metz
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah that's what I've Ben thinking in the past couple days as well.

I would likely act as moderator and hold the master deck. We could all vote on the detective, and I could then do the set up for the crime and scene. From there, I could PM hand contents for the starting clue drop. Following that I would PM all card draws and clue tokens. Players would PM me values of clue tokens to be placed on relevant turns and we might be able to implement die rolls in the forum itself to allow for clue placement and the playing of ace cards.

Do you think it might be wise to have 2 threads? One "in character" thread with the narration (and maybe polling to play it pulp fiction tales style). and one OOC for just a mechanical description of the turn and die rolls?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could do two threads, or you could have everyone agree to post their OOC comments in another color (like light grey). That might be a bit messier but keep things more consolidated.

I am not sure if Hard Boiled Detective or Pulp Fiction would be the better choice for Play By Forum. PBF games can go very slow, even with engaged players; adding the complexity of voting for each story segment might really bog it down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I finally got my game in Saturday. (Hooray!)

Much as I theoretically like the idea of playing it as a PBF game, there are some practical obstacles I see now that I've looked it over. Mostly, it involves the art on the cards. When you continue the story on your turn, you are supposed to be inspired by the text and/or the art on the cards. That becomes more difficult in a PBF game. It's probably easier to play this game by forum than... oh, say, Dixit. But you may encounter some of the same challenges.

First, you'd have to assume that everyone playing owns the game and can therefore access the card art. That's not an unfair expectation, so long as you make that requirement clear up front. But it does differ a little from other PBF games, and it certainly differs from tabletop games -- if I own a game and have friends over to play it, they do not need to also own the game, since they are playing my copy

Second, you need to assume that everyone has easy access to their copy of the game whenever they are contributing to the PBF game. That could be a little more difficult in this age of iPads, smart phones and people logging from work during their lunch hour. Much of the time I log on to BGG, I am not even at home. If players are expected to only add to the story when they can study their actual physical cards, then the game could really drag on.

I'm not saying it's impossible to play the game by forum, but you might want to set some expectations on how it will work. As the GM, when you message players with the cards they draw, will you also provide them with a description of the card's art? Or will you just assume that players for the forum game are more likely to base their story contributions on the cards' text rather than the art?

Anyway, just some food for thought! I'd be happy to try it out as a PBF game, but there may be some kinks that need to be worked out first
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Metz
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, for previous turns I'm hoping people utilize the "in character" posts from the previous turns, but I see no problem adding in descriptions of the images as well. I could describe the functional elements of the cards also, but I'd want explicit permission to do so from Mssrs. Launius or Maxwell before doing so. There's some benefit to me in doing that as it will a) put me in control of the master deck most securely and b) give me some more creative involvement in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Metz
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I kinda let this thread die and for that I apologize RL butted in pretty dang hard over the Summer and continues to do so through this semester (guess what I do for a living since I'm 32yo and think in terms of semesters). In any event, I still hope to get this together. I will be working up the rules and procedures in the next week or so and hopefully we can get started soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.