Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up Pandemic at target and they had Forbidden Island on clearance for $9 so I grabbed it. I haven't played either one yet but I hear a lot of people say Forbidden Island is only a stepping stone but I want to know does anyone enjoy both?

Before I open Forbidden Island I would appreciate some feedback from those who own them on weather or not I should keep it. I already have some decent filler games and even though it was cheap, no point keeping it if it would just collect dust.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
We played my copy of Forbidden Island just once. We quickly got the strategy down, and won the game easily. Using a higher difficulty may change things, but if your group is even just medium-advanced, I would not bother.

But then again, if you don't play BSG for months and months before trying out Forbidden Island, your mileage may vary..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Curse your sudden but inevitable action denial!
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Island sets up in 2 minutes, plays in 30, takes up little table space, can be played with non-gamers and kids easily, has very little rules overhead, transports well, has a pleasing theme and art direction, is highly moddable, and includes great components. There is definitely room for it--quite literally--in most collections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ott
United States
Russellville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering that Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game and Ghost Stories are a couple of your highest ranked games, I feel comfortable saying that you won't find Forbidden Island much of a challenge or very engaging. It's not a bad game, and can be fun in its own right, but it is quite simple, and forming a strategy during its most challenging moments is seldom more than an obvious decision between evils at any given time, and the flavour doesn't manifest itself all that well in my opinion. Watch a video of it being played or explained, and you'll probably absorb most everything you'll ever get from it. But hey, that's me and I can be kind of jerk...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group is just me and my girlfriend. She really loves Ghost Stories, Elder Sign, and Quarriors!. I guess it may be good for a filler, just don't know what the allure would be to play it. Perhaps I give it as a gift to someone in the family. We don't have kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Mendez
United States
Eau Claire
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Sadly, not for me. I own both and didn't enjoy Forbidden Island at all! Neither did my group. They prefer to play Pandemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played Forbidden Island when kids were playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there is any point in owning both (play both pick which you prefer) - but hey $9 is a steal and you can make a pal happy by giving it to them as a gift.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I will be the desenting voice amongst the other gamers.
I own both games, and while Pandemic is more challenging it just hasn't clicked with is that much.
Pandemic is a game universally praised and while there is nothing mechanically wrong with the game, it just falls flat with me.

Forbidden Island, on the other hand, I quite enjoy.
But I do have children and my wife and I have never played it alone.
I find that the artwork is beautiful and the theme comes through in this game.
The treasure pieces are really cool, you want to be the one to get them.
The tiles have really nice art, and they are double sided (the flooded side is just blue and white).
This game is by no means a brain burner, but it is a fun little filler.
We can play a game in about a 1/2 hour, and if you start at the highest difficulty it can be a bit challenging especially depending on the roles you get.
Lastly, the thing that really helps this game are the variant tile set-ups that were only included on the German edition of the game.
They can be found here.

So in closing, I would rather play Forbidden Island as a quick filler than spend an hour playing Pandemic.
I may be in the minority though so take everything I have said with a grain of salt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its best as a filler game or a portable game. It looks beautiful though and is easy to explain, so its great to play in public or around non-gamers.

I would trade it if you already have 'go-to' fillers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
Papa Ninja wrote:
I guess I will be the desenting voice amongst the other gamers.
I own both games, and while Pandemic is more challenging it just hasn't clicked with is that much.
Pandemic is a game universally praised and while there is nothing mechanically wrong with the game, it just falls flat with me.

Forbidden Island, on the other hand, I quite enjoy.
But I do have children and my wife and I have never played it alone.
I find that the artwork is beautiful and the theme comes through in this game.
The treasure pieces are really cool, you want to be the one to get them.
The tiles have really nice art, and they are double sided (the flooded side is just blue and white).
This game is by no means a brain burner, but it is a fun little filler.
We can play a game in about a 1/2 hour, and if you start at the highest difficulty it can be a bit challenging especially depending on the roles you get.
Lastly, the thing that really helps this game are the variant tile set-ups that were only included on the German edition of the game.
They can be found here.

So in closing, I would rather play Forbidden Island as a quick filler than spend an hour playing Pandemic.
I may be in the minority though so take everything I have said with a grain of salt.

Will, I agree with you completely.

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both games. I enjoy both games; but, with different people.

So ... it depends on why you'd play each game.

I play Forbidden Island with my son and his cousins (age range 5 thru 8). Their realm of boardgames at the moment are: Forbidden Island, Catan Junior, Dixit, and ... most recently ... 7 Wonders.

I play Pandemic with the teens and adults; but it tends to be very rare. 7 Wonders is the new "hotness" in the group, except the kids demand it as well. We tend to drift to Carcassonne, Catan, Runebound, or Betrayal at House on a Hill ... depending on how much time / attention-span we have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:
I own both games. I enjoy both games; but, with different people.

So ... it depends on why you'd play each game.

I play Forbidden Island with my son and his cousins (age range 5 thru 8). Their realm of boardgames at the moment are: Forbidden Island, Catan Junior, Dixit, and ... most recently ... 7 Wonders.

I play Pandemic with the teens and adults; but it tends to be very rare. 7 Wonders is the new "hotness" in the group, except the kids demand it as well. We tend to drift to Carcassonne, Catan, Runebound, or Betrayal at House on a Hill ... depending on how much time / attention-span we have.

So is Forbidden Island more for kids, can it be challenging enough for a filler game with adults?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Zhang
United States
West Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll join Will's voice on this one. Gameplay is not always about strategy or complexity - Pandemic, as Will stated, is praised and mechanically sound. However, it failed to survive our game table after the second play. Why? My wife found the theme too depressing. End of story - after the wife says something like that, the whole thing gets boxed up and either collects dust or gets traded.

That said, we also have a couple of kids in the house… and, while they aren't old enough to play either game yet, it sounds like Forbidden Island may have a theme which is more compatible with our situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bella
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We like both Pandemic and Forbidden Island. Forbidden Island IS great for kids, and playing with new or casual adult gamers...AND experienced gamers, especially as a filler between longer games--> If Forbidden Island gets too easy for you on the hardest level, use the alternate initial tile arrangements already mentioned in this thread. The artwork and pieces are very nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bender
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I can actually win Forbidden Island . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have both and we do not have kids. As others have said, the allure of FI is the short set up and play time. It gives a quality game experience for the time required. It's great for nights when we don't have a lot of time, but want to do something a bit more involved than play a round of Las Vegas or some other filler.

FI is also much more portable than Pandemic, making it easier to take with us when we travel. And, it's great for when our parents and siblings-in-law come to visit because they will actually play it. Can't say the same for Pandemic. Pandemic looks too scary for some non-gamers, I think, while FI just looks easier and friendlier.

We've yet to beat it on the hardest difficulty level, so it's not an "easy" game that you will always win. I think for the price you paid, you should keep it. I definitely think there is a place in an adult's collection for both. FI isn't a kids game, although it's easy to get kids to play it.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the release of Forbidden Desert this spring/summer to get some more colorful, quick, co-op goodness in my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Garcia
United States
Harlingen
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both and love both. While both are coop games they play very differently and have different themes. I will admit though that if you are not a gamer or are at least interested in games Pandemic can look a little scary and put you off and I will also admit that Forbidden Island is a bit easier. Just because FI is easier though doesn't make it any less of a game. In fact sometimes you want to play something on the lighter side. It's a great game and great filler when you don't have a lot of time to burn or just need to kill time, and it's easy for non-gamers to grasp. My fiance has played it with me and she enjoyed it (she is not that big of a gamer).

Also the tin is cool cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Weiss
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both and like both. They are very similar games that can fill slightly different roles.

Pandemic is more intense, has longer play time, has a more morbid theme, and is more intimidating to casual or non-gamers. FI sits better with younger gamers also.

I always find it funny that my group struggles to win FI, but tends to win more often than not in Pandemic. Everyone claims that Pandemic is, without a doubt, more difficult, but my group has a very different opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, thanks for all the great input. I will give it a go this weekend. Being portable is a good option and I did download all the official and user created tile layout variants, this look interesting.

I appreciate all the feedback. I played Pandemic two times last night and list the first time one turn away from curing the fourth diseas when the player deck ran out. I beat it thr second time no problem, both times with two character. Is it always this easy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
What difficulty were you playing it on? (How many epidemic cards did you use?)

It's easier with fewer players, IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
What difficulty were you playing it on? (How many epidemic cards did you use?)

It's easier with fewer players, IMO.

4 epidemic cards with the researcher and scientist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To everyone who says that Forbidden Island is easy, I'd like to know which rule you're not following properly. There's no way that you can win that game every time on Legendary or Elite, unless you're playing it wrong.

EDIT: This thread says it much better than I could. This game is too easy ........ (or is it?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
with two character. Is it always this easy?

Yes, especially when playing with two players. The game gets easier if there are less players. You might even say that 5 players on easy is harder than 2 players on medium.

lwdgames wrote:
To everyone who says that Forbidden Island is easy, I'd like to know which rule you're not following properly. There's no way that you can win that game every time on Legendary or Elite, unless you're playing it wrong.

I agree. I think Forbidden Island is harder than Pandemic.

Note that I always play with closed hands in Pandemic and Forbidden Island, no matter the difficulty. I really think this makes for a more fun game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.