11 Posts

Resident Evil Deck Building Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question on Skills with "At the beginning of your turn" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jakusotsu
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question regarding skills that have "At the beginning of your turn" as a clause.

If my skill is not activated "at the beginning" of my turn, can I transfer XP from my character to that skill and have it activate in time for me to get the benefits of the skill?

Or must the skill have all the XP it requires before the start of my turn in order for it to activate?

The confusion stems from the rule "You can transfer XP from your character to your skills at any point in your turn in which you are not exploring."

This is an important clarification because of cards like Backstab in which opponents might steal XP off your skill in order to deactivate it before your turn rolls around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chainsaw Rabbit
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a tricky one. I've played it as "the beginning of your turn" means before you get to do anything, be it buy, explore, transfer XP, or what have you. But again, with Backstab, it may be that you never get to use the skill unless you overload it with XP.

For a more solid answer, you may want to ask this over on the Resident Evil DBG forums (http://www.bandai.com/residentevil/forum/forum.php).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakusotsu
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha I actually posted on the REDBG forums before coming here, still waiting for them to verify my post. I ideally want a definitive answer from the game designer.

I am leaning toward what you have decided to play by. Once you take any sort of action, the game state should no longer be considered to be "the beginning of" your turn. And thus the skill shouldn't activate.

However, that leads to the question of are you allowed to "overload" a skill with XP as a defense against XP depletion effects? Maybe that's how you would counter Backstabs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Haha I actually posted on the REDBG forums before coming here, still waiting for them to verify my post. I ideally want a definitive answer from the game designer.

Hmm, I can't see any posts relating to this subject on the Bandai forums.

As for the matter on hand, I'd say you can put as many XP as you want on a Skill:

"A Player may move any amount of XP from their Character to their Skills at any time during their turn while their Character is NOT Exploring." (p. 18)

Extra XP doesn't do anything other than protect against certain Actions and a few Infected to strip XP away.

Also, at least for me, XP on a "beginning of a turn" Skill has to be on it end of the previous turn if you want to use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bad form to reply after one's own post, but figured if I just do an edit, it'll get lost in the mix, a new post at least bumps up the thread. Regarding the overloading of skills:

"Q: Can I put more XP than is required on a Skill?
A: No you cannot.

Q: Can I put XP on a Skill that is less than what is required to activate it?
A: No you cannot." (FAQ, p. 6)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakusotsu
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, shoot, then doesn't that make Backstab obscenely powerful then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to say no. Backstab by itself gives you no damage boost, just +1A. Second, you have to Explore to get the benefit and while you do remove 1XP from a player, you can't adjust your Skills while Exploring, so that XP doesn't do you any good this turn. And if they have extra XP left over (often seems to be the case I've found, unless they are using discard XP for boost Skills), all you're doing is making them discard a card (which can be nice).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michèl m
Germany
flag msg tools
If you say it can be nice to use the discard effect could that mean i can choose which card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Backstab? No, opponent gets to pick which card to discard. But if they have just enough ammo to use a big weapon, could deny them an Explore the next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michèl m
Germany
flag msg tools
So the effect, discard a card from oppenents hand (if i'm not wrong there are more then one card/effect that can do that) would be always the same, the oppenent choose which card to discard?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without checking every discard effect in the game, I wouldn't say with certainty that is the case, but majority probably are opponent chooses. Can't recall if there are any random discard effects, might be some, but they should state so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.