MGS
United States
Weston
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Finishing Blow
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing quite a bit of Netrunner with my 10 year old. We play almost weekly in the local league and whenever we can at home. My youngest son wants to play as well and I am not sure how to include him. He plays Summoner Wars without the special powers even though this might change as his reading is improving quickly and he plays his white aggro deck in MTG. Netrunner is defeating me though as it is a much more complex game. I thought of just picking up Infiltration to play with him instead but I decided to come here first to here the gurus. How could we play a simplified version of Netrunner? Is it even possible?
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first idea would be: Build a deck for each side with reduced size (perhaps 25-30 cards), primarily putting in easy to understand cards. So perhaps avoid traces and link, for example. The smaller decks means there's fewer cards to know about, and most of them will be much simpler. Play to 5 agenda points and put 12-13 agenda points into the deck.

I'm not entirely sure how well this would work. Most likely you'll want to do Shaper or Criminal vs. Weyland or HB with this, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
I have been playing quite a bit of Netrunner with my 10 year old. We play almost weekly in the local league and whenever we can at home. My youngest son wants to play as well and I am not sure how to include him. He plays Summoner Wars without the special powers even though this might change as his reading is improving quickly and he plays his white aggro deck in MTG. Netrunner is defeating me though as it is a much more complex game. I thought of just picking up Infiltration to play with him instead but I decided to come here first to here the gurus. How could we play a simplified version of Netrunner? Is it even possible?
Thanks

Pick up Infiltration regardless of what you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
She wore! She wore! She wore a yellow ribbon! She wore a yellow ribbon in the merry month of May, And when I asked her why she wore that ribbon,
badge
She said, "It's for the Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!" Wembley! Wembley! We’re the famous Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
Thanks

It's possible but maybe not desirable. You could treat all ice as the same type and let all breakers break any ice. Ignore more troublesome stuff (as suggested above) like trace and link, and probably damage. Run Shaper into HB and keep everything as "vanilla" as possible. Let your youngest be the runner, so he doesn't have to worry about hidden information. It won't be Netrunner, but if the goal is fun times running nets with the six year old, then mission accomplished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
Weston
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Finishing Blow
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks

I was thinking just now:

Gabe
3 Corroder
3 ZU keymaster
3 Ninja
3 Special Order
3 Infiltration
3 Easy Mark
3 Sure Gamble
3 Inside Job

And, my other son or I would play NBN with high point agendas, no upgrades, no trace and easy Ice. Alternatively, no Ninja and no Sentry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Leeman
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you decide to pick up Infiltration, I have a twice-played, almost new copy for sale. PM me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
United States
Unspecified
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
How could we play a simplified version of Netrunner?
If you're okay with playing a more simple game, possibly inspired by the original Netrunner, I'd try out Hera & Zeus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
Weston
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Finishing Blow
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Ronaldo wrote:
Thanks

Pick up Infiltration regardless of what you do.

Really? The comments are lukewarm. The theme seems to be there but it is allegedly too fiddly for what it is. What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Kennedy
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
Get pictures!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
Weston
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Finishing Blow
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Double Plus Undead
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Infiltration is an excellent little game. I think you should check out the rules before you decide if you'll like it or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Hound
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

My nine year old, who's extremely sharp, is still having some trouble with the game, as there's simply so many cards/interactions to understand before you can play.

So my advice: give it time, you'll be playing games for many, many years together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
Weston
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Finishing Blow
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely. The thing is that he is the one asking to play and I was wondering if there was anything I could do rather than just turning him down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
Absolutely. The thing is that he is the one asking to play and I was wondering if there was anything I could do rather than just turning him down.

Invite him to play WITH you against someone else. Take your time. Explain what you are doing on each action. Maybe add some flare ("Are you ready to make a run at the big evil corp?", "Do think our defenses are good enough against that sneaky criminal?"). I mean .. I enjoy doing that as an adult. It would help him gloss over the fact he doesn't completely understand what's going on. But it will keep him interested.
And just enjoy the fact that he wants to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to be the bad guy who says wait a few years to make sure he has a good solid experience that he grasps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has he watched you play a full game yet?

My recommendation is that when you start to play against him, NEVER, make moves that aren't the best at that point, just to 'keep it even'.

Young minds are very sharp and look for patterns. If you start making sub-optimal moves, it will become even more confusing to him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Azgard12 wrote:
I'm going to be the bad guy who says wait a few years to make sure he has a good solid experience that he grasps.

Depends on the kid. A 7-year old won a VtES tournament at Origins a few years back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
Ronaldo wrote:

Invite him to play WITH you against someone else. Take your time. Explain what you are doing on each action. Maybe add some flare ("Are you ready to make a run at the big evil corp?", "Do think our defenses are good enough against that sneaky criminal?"). I mean .. I enjoy doing that as an adult. It would help him gloss over the fact he doesn't completely understand what's going on. But it will keep him interested.
And just enjoy the fact that he wants to play.

I'd agree with this. Introduce him to the mechanics of the game by including him in your thinking (perhaps when you play against his brother), and have him help you make decisions. The text on the card shouldn't be too difficult to read, but some of the card interactions might be difficult to see and understand (they're a bit more complex than interactions in aggro decks in MtG, as I'm sure you well know).

After that, I like the idea of using simplified decks to play against him (with him as the runner). Depending on his relationship with his older brother, maybe they could play together (with your 6 year old piloting the deck and getting to make all final decisions), using these simpler decks (or it could be a father son team.

I haven't played VtES, but I know Netrunner is a much more complex game than Magic or Pokemon or the like.

All in all, I'd be excited he wants to play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
etherial wrote:
Azgard12 wrote:

Depends on the kid. A 7-year old won a VtES tournament at Origins a few years back.

I'm just speaking for pedagogy where- typically- experiencing something difficult or overwhelming between the ages of 4 and 8 will result in aversion to it. It's where many adults form phobias and preferences.

Granted, I probably would have wanted to play Netrunner when I was 6 and there are exceptions to everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Double Plus Undead
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Azgard12 wrote:
I'm just speaking for pedagogy where- typically- experiencing something difficult or overwhelming between the ages of 4 and 8 will result in aversion to it.

Really? Is this true even for things that aren't forced on them?

I think that if the kid couldn't understand it, they would just get frustrated and do something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
pirate_chef wrote:
Azgard12 wrote:
I'm just speaking for pedagogy where- typically- experiencing something difficult or overwhelming between the ages of 4 and 8 will result in aversion to it.

Really? Is this true even for things that aren't forced on them?

I think that if the kid couldn't understand it, they would just get frustrated and do something else.

Pedagogy is the science of teaching people things, which includes knowledge of the general times when certain higher brain functions develop. School Boards are not known to follow Pedagogy closely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
Weston
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Finishing Blow
mbmbmbmbmb
ugagamers wrote:
Get pictures!

Done. We played a very simplified version of the game And he had a very good time. Mission accomplished. I uploaded a picture, let's See if it gets approved. Thanks for the help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bogen
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you give a run-down of the decks and rule modifications you did?

I have a 7 year old who wants to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
Weston
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Finishing Blow
mbmbmbmbmb
plbogen wrote:
Could you give a run-down of the decks and rule modifications you did?

I have a 7 year old who wants to play.

That was 2 years ago, let me try to remember.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bogen
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.