Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
What they actually seem to be discussing is making sure that the health care plans are subsidised, particularly for the lower paid employees.

Trying to make this seem like they are trying to exempt themselves from something everyone else has to do makes no sense. Many people have health plans subsidised by their employers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. It's almost as if, when you dig deeper into the story, it's completely the opposite of what the OP implied.

Quote:
[...] What seemed on its face to be an attempt by Congress to seek special treatment under the law is actually an effort to resolve an ambiguity in the statute — one with deeply political origins — that could significantly cut lawmaker and staffer health benefits next year.

Though originally characterized in the press as a surreptitious and hypocritical effort by members of Congress to wiggle out of a provision of the law requiring them to buy insurance on Obamacare exchanges, it is more accurately a story about how the sorts of snafus that have hobbled Obamacare’s implementation are now coming home to roost on Capitol Hill.

“It’s not that Congress is thinking about exempting itself from the Affordable Care Act,” said Tim Jost, a professor of law at Washington and Lee University and leading expert on the health care reform law, which he supports. “It’s just that Congress members and staffers were the only people in the entire country who were required to buy from the exchange. So in a sense repealing that provision would be like leveling the playing field.”

Starting in 2014, thanks to an amendment Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA) successfully inserted into the Affordable Care Act to put Democrats in a political bind, members of Congress and personal staff — not committee staff — will be dropped from their federal health plan and have to buy insurance on state exchanges, which will launch next year. [...]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

Yep. They might fight for the cameras, but behind closed doors, these shitty piles of snail slime stick together while they screw over the rest of us.

Interestingly, I have yet to hear how you have been screwed over by Obamacare. Sure, it's probably because I tune out everything you say after a few seconds of exposure, but still, this seems like a case of one shitty pile of snail slime bitching based on an unsubstantiated claim about confidential talks.

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/296333-dem-leaders-wont-se...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Politico is owned by Disney, just like you, Mickey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
By that logic we should also get rid of the Military since the government runs that too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
What he really meant was that legit news sources are those that agree with his opinions. I've asked him previously for a list of those on his approved list, but he's never been forthcoming. Most likely because no single news source agrees with every thing he believes so his list is ever shifting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
TALKING POINTS MEMO IS A TOTALLY LEGIT NEWS SOURCE.

shake

Whether or not you like TPM, they quoted an expert from Washington and Lee University. Are you saying they made him up, fabricated his quote, or what? Or do you have some information or expertise that contradicts what he said about whats going on?

And leaving aside TPM's characterization of Grassley's motives, do you have any information or expertise to contradict the claim about Grassley's acts - i.e., that he inserted the amendment into the ACA that led to this particular situation that Congress is trying to deal with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Of course, this particular fooforaw may be a tempest in a teapot: OPM may rule that they can offer subsidies to staffers.

Which would be the best resolution. If they just changed the law to allow subsidising the staffers' health care, would that be terrible too?

Drew1365 wrote:
Tar and feathers.

Maybe wait until they actually pass something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I have no idea how anyone could read the first story and not believe that some members of congress are working to exempt congress and it's staff from some aspects of ObamaCare. It's as if all you Libtards care about is who wrote the story. Politicians only have secret meetings when what they are discussing is a politically sensitive matter.

"Leveling the field" isn't politically sensitive. Exempting themselves and thousands of other staffers due to onerous burdens imposed by ObamaCare? Now that is politically sensitive. I'll be emailing my senator and congressman today to see if any of them are party to this scam... it's as if the "ruling class" of America is saying, "Obamacare for thee, but not for me."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really care if they are trying to take a ridiculous provision out of the bill or not. Why are they wasting their time on something that affects such a small minority of the population (literally talking for MONTHS?) when they they have so much else on their plate that they aren't doing anything about? It's their do-no-meaningful-work strategy that pisses me off. I'd love to get up in arms about the things they are accomplishing, but since they don't accomplish anything, all I can get upset about is their comically criminal work ethic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Obama!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
By that logic we should also get rid of the Military since the government runs that too.

Agreed. Government sucks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
jmilum wrote:

Oh really? Was the military set up by a bill that no one had read and was amended willy nilly from the floor without understanding the consequences?

That's not the issue though is it:

bjlillo wrote:
These idiots can't even pass a simple amendment without screwing it up and you guys are more than happy to have them run our health care system.

What would you be happy having the government run?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
It's as if all you Libtards care about is who wrote the story.

You're going to cause Drew to go into apoplectic shock by calling him that as he was the one caring about who write what story:

Drew1365 wrote:
TALKING POINTS MEMO IS A TOTALLY LEGIT NEWS SOURCE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
What would you be happy having the government run?

Itself out of town.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
which town?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every town.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh, that would be strange though as you would still have government in the villages, cities, and unincorporated areas. I don't see that as a workable solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Ahhh, that would be strange though as you would still have government in the villages, cities, and unincorporated areas. I don't see that as a workable solution.

See? I told you government sucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Context is important, Jer-Bear. Reading, it's fundamental.

When you said "these idiots" who did you mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a dog and pony show over the word "may"?

kee-rist

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
from the link MrC posted earlier:

Quote:
“Nobody is exempting anybody from anything,” one Democratic aide said.

The healthcare law requires lawmakers and congressional staff to buy their healthcare coverage through the newly created insurance exchanges.

Democrats have raised questions about the mechanics of that requirement, but Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) and House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) both said Thursday they do not believe the mandate should be lifted.

Reid spokesman Adam Jentleson flatly denied a report that the majority leader had sought an exemption for lawmakers and their staffers.

“There are not now, have never been, nor will there ever be any discussions about exempting members of Congress or Congressional staff from Affordable Care Act provisions that apply to any employees of any other public or private employer offering health care,” Jentleson said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.