Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Seasons» Forums » Rules

Subject: Glutton Cauldron sacrificed or returned to hand: What happens to energy tokens? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Berney P.
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens if the Glutton Cauldron is sacrificed or returned to hand? Do the energy tokens on it return to the player's reserve, or are they lost?

My instincts from other games would suggest they're discarded, but since the energy on the Cauldron would eventually be returned to the player's reserve, and the card is so weak anyway, a shadow of doubt crept into my mind. And so I'm asking here.

Of course, it seems intuitive that energy on the Amulet of Water would be lost if the card is sacrificed or bounced (the Amulet generated the energy; it was never and would never become part of the reserve), and it would seem that way for the Grimoire too if the rules didn't explicitly state the player can move energy between the usual reserve and the Grimoire at will. Losing the Grimoire would only cost the player as much energy as they have more than 7 — and even then only if the player doesn't have a second Grimoire in play.

That the Grimoire and Amulet work differently is a sort of precedent for the Cauldron acting differently too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mak Mak
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yenreb wrote:
What happens if the Glutton Cauldron is sacrificed or returned to hand? Do the energy tokens on it return to the player's reserve, or are they lost?

My instincts from other games would suggest they're discarded, but since the energy on the Cauldron would eventually be returned to the player's reserve, and the card is so weak anyway, a shadow of doubt crept into my mind. And so I'm asking here.

Cauldron is consumed and gone. I agree; it's not a fabulous card but I like it in some ways. It's a side mini-quest; to just stow energy for year 3 and gain 15 crystals for your trouble and to free up its gauge spot later. This cauldron works wonders if you have the Potion of Life and the Grimoire set up, plus Purse of Io on top of the Potion of Life. BUT.....Cauldron is hard-counter drafted by Thieving Faeries and it hurts you a little if you're looking for Ragfield's Helm to trigger (like any other consuming item).

My advice is not to pick cauldron early and check the draft packs for a Thieving Faeries first; it's a full 21 point swing plus a crippling effect if your lingering around 0 crystals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.