Subject: Help my son and I pick a game to play! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Hollander
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Hi all:

My 9 year old boy wants to get into a tabletop game to play. He loves videogames, so it was a shock to hear this request - but I'm gonna run with it. Whatever game we play must have some kind of cool minatures, and not be too complex that he'll get frustrated.

One of the games I saw was Heroscape. That looked pretty good, but I'm open to all suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
There isn't a game out there that fits your request better than Heroscape.

If you think he can handle it, especially if he'll be playing with you (as opposed to without adult assistance) I'd skip the basic game and move right to the Master Rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely HeroScape.

The other one I thought of was Memoir '44, which also has minis. HeroScape has a MUCH bigger "wow" factor, though. I have a blast just putting the terrain together!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Ludwick
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
HeroScape

...just plan on giving up your dining room table for a (long) while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, Heroscape is your best bet. Take a look at Board Games With Scott's most recent offering, they do a video review of Heroscape that should help you make up your mind. You can find it at http://boardgameswithscott.blogspot.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. Particularly for that age group Heroscape is the right one if you must have a game with miniatures. If you want to try a second game I would suggest Ticket to Ride (either US or Europe), any Carrcassone variant, and the classic Settlers of Catan (but that requires 3 players).

If you and he really get into it a lot of the kids I know like (at least until they get more sophisticated) all those Steve Jackson Munchkin card games. They are short and very funny.

I hope you do get him addicted to playing games with you. We did it with our sons by accidently happening upon a gaming conference in a hotel. We had no idea all these cool games were out there.

Now we game several nights a week after the homework is done - a great "get it done" reward by the way. They do prefer it to video games or TV! My younger son has been in a Ticket to Ride contest and even has his name up on the Days of Wonder website as a third place finisher. He is so proud of himself for holding his own against very experienced gamers 3 times his age.

He is also now writing reviews of games - posted here on BGG as kunningkid. This means that he is choosing to write very thoughtful essays for fun! He's getting pretty good at it, too. His writing skills have just skyrocketed.

By all means encourage this activity. We have middle teenagers now and they actually talk to us and we have a strong common set of interests. I cannot tell you how valuable that is during those tough teenage years. I don't know many parents who have their teens beg to spend 6 hours on a Saturday with them. Ours do in order to play Twilight Imperium.

Games are a great investment in your family. Even relatively expensive games are cheaper than movie tickets and popcorn for a family of four; and you get to play again! We keep trying to go see the latest movies and the boys always vote for game night instead...

Good Luck!

-Helen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too agree that Heroscape is a lot of fun... just one warning... if he likes it, be prepared to dish out money on all the expansions. And if he really likes get another base set so you can make larger terrain maps.

Just wanted to warn you that this is one of those games that may start off at an easy $40 but you can spend much much more if you want/need to. (I say need if you are completest.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Hollander
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Wow. I wasn't expecting so much help in so little time! I stand impressed. Thank you all so much for the info. I'm trying to find the Wal-Mart exclusive Master set that some stores are clearancing out for $15. My two stores still have it at $40.

I do think that he would like the experience of building the board as well as playing the game, and the expansions do appeal to the collector's side of both him and I. I can see where it could get expensive fast.

It looks to me like a 2-3 player game played with basic rules could take as little as 20-30 minutes to complete, it that correct? If so, that'd be great to start out - quick bursts and then get into the longer timed games.

Once again, I think it's awesome that so many of you were so helpful - and so quickly!

Thanks,
Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the time issue depends on a few things. It can be as short or as long as you want.

Are you seting up the board once and playing many games on it (or setting it up in advanced)? Making the board will take some time. Especially the more complicated it is or if you are following a guide as opposed to just creating a landscape on the fly.

Are you drafting armies or coming with premade armies? Drafting can take up time, especially if you are not familiar with the characters special abilities, or have analysis paralysis.

Then as far as how long the game takes... yeah it can be pretty quick or you can let it be a long game. All of the senarios that come with the game give you a certian number of rounds and the game ends at that point. So it is pretty easy to see how long the game will be by how many rounds they have recomended for the game. Of course if you know you want to make it shorter you can just agree to a fewer number of rounds before begining play. Also if you are determined to play "to the death" then the number of points in your armies will affect how long the game last.

Then of course there is putting the game away. If you count that in the time and depending on how particular you are with your game it can take a little while. If you are just keeping the same landscape up then you don't have as much clean up to do. Some people just toss everything into a big rubbermade box (because oh good luck getting it back in the box it comes with - it is possible but tricky. and impossible once you have some expansions.). We try to keep ours a bit more organized so it is easier to build the terrain next time.

--

Oh and if you want expansions... Don't miss getting the "Volcarian Waste" (only at ToysRus) and the "Road to the Forgotten Forest" for some cool terrain and trees.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Hollander
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I'm definitely planning on having a table set aside for nothing else.

I figure we'll keep the board set up and change it from time to time - I doubt that we'll do anything like that until we get the hang of the game. I want to try to get the kids involved (also have a 14YO girl that says she wants to play too!) quickly, and then we can hit on some of the deeper strategy. I imagine that we'll go with the pre-made armies at first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well then it sounds like you are going to have a lot of fun with it...

I'm sure you have already checked out the Heroscape page and expansion pages here at BGG and just in case make sure you check out the fan site www.heroscapeHQ.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also recommend Lord of the Rings:The Confrontation, especially if he has seen the movies. Plays pretty quickly and takes next to no time to set up (Unlike Heroscape).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
i would suggest Blokus, yathzee, gobblet, othello or carcassonne, but i can see he like minatures. well mabye you could risk it and buy he A@A (i hate the gmae but there are a lot of fans). A@A is kind of complex, yet not brainburning. mabye Risk, i played it from age 7 and the minatures aren;t that horrible looking. i don't know many minatures games i find them more complicated and more luck depended (unless of course it the all mighty Diplomacy ). hope it helped if a little.....

nate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Hollander
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Again, thank you all so much for your help. I have researched many of the games you all suggested, and I think we're going to start with Heroscape. I showed him the page at Hasbro, and he's excited about it.

He seems to really like the fact that so many dissimilar beings are all in the same game - battle in time indeed!

I'll let you know how it goes, and looking at all of the options, I think we may get really involved in these boardgames. It looks like a very good family activity as well as being entertaining.

Thanks to all,
Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.