Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Myth» Forums » General

Subject: Expansion contents at retail rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Caleb Glave
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am trying to decide on the add-ons to grab with my KS pledge. I know that almost all of the add-ons will be available at a future point after release, but I am trying to figure out how the add-ons will likely be available and packaged for retail.

Boss+Captains+Minions+Lair of a specific type would seem as obvious expansion set.

My guess is that the Slaughterfield deck will be released in the far future with the tiles.

Any thoughts or ideas? What should one get in add-ons now to prevent getting random extras in the future? What should one avoid as it will likely be package with new stuff in the future?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Alphawog wrote:
I am trying to decide on the add-ons to grab with my KS pledge. I know that almost all of the add-ons will be available at a future point after release, but I am trying to figure out how the add-ons will likely be available and packaged for retail.

Boss+Captains+Minions+Lair of a specific type would seem as obvious expansion set.

My guess is that the Slaughterfield deck will be released in the far future with the tiles.

Any thoughts or ideas? What should one get in add-ons now to prevent getting random extras in the future? What should one avoid as it will likely be package with new stuff in the future?


Baring a direct response from Brian, there's no way to know for sure.

I'm sure that they already actually have it in the works, so maybe they can tell us??????

I'd imagine that they'd have some of the items as single add ons,... Like the quest deck,... The only concern that I would have is the Elemental Boss.

I would hope that it will be available as a single add on,... But if it is only available with an elemental expansion pack or as part of a big box expansion,... There is a possibility that you'd be stuck buying more than you need,....

Let's see what they say.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yamato2 wrote:
Alphawog wrote:
I am trying to decide on the add-ons to grab with my KS pledge. I know that almost all of the add-ons will be available at a future point after release, but I am trying to figure out how the add-ons will likely be available and packaged for retail.

Boss+Captains+Minions+Lair of a specific type would seem as obvious expansion set.

My guess is that the Slaughterfield deck will be released in the far future with the tiles.

Any thoughts or ideas? What should one get in add-ons now to prevent getting random extras in the future? What should one avoid as it will likely be package with new stuff in the future?


Baring a direct response from Brian, there's no way to know for sure.

I'm sure that they already actually have it in the works, so maybe they can tell us??????

I'd imagine that they'd have some of the items as single add ons,... Like the quest deck,... The only concern that I would have is the Elemental Boss.

I would hope that it will be available as a single add on,... But if it is only available with an elemental expansion pack or as part of a big box expansion,... There is a possibility that you'd be stuck buying more than you need,....

Let's see what they say.


This is pretty much my thinking too. I think the OP has got it spot on with the minions/captains/boss boxes and if that's right then we may end up with spare elementals that we don't need just to get the boss.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arron Seymour
United Kingdom
PEACEHAVEN
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mb
I was just about to post a similar thread, I came in late to the kickstarter, with only 60 mins to go and not really knowing anything about the game, I put in at basic captain level. I am now watching the vids and seriously considering an increase in pledge because it looks awesome I can probably chuck another 50-60 dollars in however without knowing how the expansions are to be structured, I could end up with overlapping items. Apprentice level looks attractive but do I need all those mini's? the gameplay footage doesnt suggest the spawns would get large enough to need 30 mobs?

Another question I cant find the answer to, the 325k stretch reward says 10 new world tiles, does that mean we will have a total of 20 tiles?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory J
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
25 tiles with the slaughterfield tiles. And I think these are 1" tiles (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) so they should fit well with most other tiles around. I have hundreds of DnD dungeon tiles, so I should be set for whatever layout I could ever need.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arron Seymour
United Kingdom
PEACEHAVEN
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mb
Amyrin wrote:
25 tiles with the slaughterfield tiles. And I think these are 1" tiles (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) so they should fit well with most other tiles around. I have hundreds of DnD dungeon tiles, so I should be set for whatever layout I could ever need.


Great thanks, I think I will be good for tiles I think looking at the extras we already have, it would be safe to pick up the slaughterhouse cards without worrying about overlap, unless as someone previously mentioned it will be the only opportunity to pick up the Elemental Boss
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ArronS wrote:
Amyrin wrote:
25 tiles with the slaughterfield tiles. And I think these are 1" tiles (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) so they should fit well with most other tiles around. I have hundreds of DnD dungeon tiles, so I should be set for whatever layout I could ever need.


Great thanks, I think I will be good for tiles I think looking at the extras we already have, it would be safe to pick up the slaughterhouse cards without worrying about overlap, unless as someone previously mentioned it will be the only opportunity to pick up the Elemental Boss


My guess is bosses will be available separately from minions, as you can use minions even if you don't have a boss of the same race. For example, in the base game you can use orcs with the arachnid boss.

It doesn't make sense to then sell bosses in a pack with their minions (especially in the case of the orcs, which are available in the base set without a boss).

Of course, if you want to run double lairs, you would also need to buy more minions, but you wouldn't need more bosses, so there is another reason why they would be shooting themselves in the foot by bundling bosses and minions together.

I expect to see individual boss sets, and boxes of minions, so that people can customise the dungeon the way they want.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on that way you choose to look at things RedMonkeyBoy.

For retail owners, a perfect package might be along the lines of:
Rat Pack:
- 15 Rats (Taking you to 30 for double-lair)
- 2 Rat Captains (Taking you to 4 for double-lair)
- 1 Rat Boss
- 1 Cardboard rat lair

For anyone retail buying individual parts would seem unnecessary and silly, so splitting up those components is just for kickstarter backers, many of whom already have most of what they need, which takes 'ideal' packs down to really quite silly sets. '3 Orcs' for example would be really great for captain only backers...and nobody else.

Trying to pull myself away from the 'I'm a captain backer' viewpoint that I have, I would want all the packs to be like the one I suggested. Small packs of tiny numbers of miniatures are cost-inefficient and drive up the price overall, it's a waste.

Overall...I'd rather they take the sensible route of large packs, even if it screws over us kickstarter backers. If it's meant to be a board game, not a miniatures game, keep it simple, not with 10 billion tiny packs to make a full game. Not that I wouldn't appreciate 2 or 3 packs for kickstarter backers to get us to sweet spot numbers, like a 'double-lair' pack for captains & apprentices.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoothsmith wrote:
It depends on that way you choose to look at things RedMonkeyBoy.

For retail owners, a perfect package might be along the lines of:
Rat Pack:
- 15 Rats (Taking you to 30 for double-lair)
- 2 Rat Captains (Taking you to 4 for double-lair)
- 1 Rat Boss
- 1 Cardboard rat lair

For anyone retail buying individual parts would seem unnecessary and silly, so splitting up those components is just for kickstarter backers, many of whom already have most of what they need, which takes 'ideal' packs down to really quite silly sets. '3 Orcs' for example would be really great for captain only backers...and nobody else.

Trying to pull myself away from the 'I'm a captain backer' viewpoint that I have, I would want all the packs to be like the one I suggested. Small packs of tiny numbers of miniatures are cost-inefficient and drive up the price overall, it's a waste.

Overall...I'd rather they take the sensible route of large packs, even if it screws over us kickstarter backers. If it's meant to be a board game, not a miniatures game, keep it simple, not with 10 billion tiny packs to make a full game. Not that I wouldn't appreciate 2 or 3 packs for kickstarter backers to get us to sweet spot numbers, like a 'double-lair' pack for captains & apprentices.


I'm not suggesting they sell packs of 3 orcs.

The logical way to sell the pieces is to have boxes of minions and captains - enough to run one lair. Then, if people who weren't backers want to run single or double lairs, they just buy one or two minion packs and they are good to go.

Then, if they want to change the boss they are facing (which is not necessary to change the minions), then you buy a boss pack that contains one boss and the cards.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Turner
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe they could do the Kickstarter supplements from their website, but from retailers the 1-lair-to-a-box model makes sense. That would be what I would be most likely to buy if I walked in. But that would also be most useful with a boss sold separately, so if you were going to double-lair you wouldn't have an extra set of bosses sitting around useless.

Edit-Just realized I repeated RedMonkey. I should have refreshed before commenting...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried asking this question on Kickstarter? I'd very much like to know how they plan on packaging this stuff.

As it stands right now, even if they combine a lot of this stuff and you're forced to buy duplicates, it will still probably be cheaper from Miniature Market or CSI later on.

For instance, how much do you think the Slaughterfield tiles + cards will retail for? $I'd guess $20-$25? Certainly they're not going to be $30-$40 and be nearly the price of games that come with a ton more stuff. If the Slaughterfield set is $25 then it will only cost around $15 from Miniature Market. You can sell off the extra tiles and keep the cards or just keep the tiles for an extra set.

Same with the Elemental Boss, you really think they're going to charge $30 retail for a resin/plastic one piece miniature? Even $30 retail for it will be around $20 for Miniature Market.

I expect the add-on prices on the Kickstarter are being offered to backers at MSRP or even higher. I don't have a problem with this, although I wish they would be clear on the MSRP of the items (they probably don't want most people to realize how much cheaper they will be if they wait).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoothsmith wrote:
It depends on that way you choose to look at things RedMonkeyBoy.

For retail owners, a perfect package might be along the lines of:
Rat Pack:
- 15 Rats (Taking you to 30 for double-lair)
- 2 Rat Captains (Taking you to 4 for double-lair)
- 1 Rat Boss
- 1 Cardboard rat lair

For anyone retail buying individual parts would seem unnecessary and silly, so splitting up those components is just for kickstarter backers, many of whom already have most of what they need, which takes 'ideal' packs down to really quite silly sets. '3 Orcs' for example would be really great for captain only backers...and nobody else.

Trying to pull myself away from the 'I'm a captain backer' viewpoint that I have, I would want all the packs to be like the one I suggested. Small packs of tiny numbers of miniatures are cost-inefficient and drive up the price overall, it's a waste.

Overall...I'd rather they take the sensible route of large packs, even if it screws over us kickstarter backers. If it's meant to be a board game, not a miniatures game, keep it simple, not with 10 billion tiny packs to make a full game. Not that I wouldn't appreciate 2 or 3 packs for kickstarter backers to get us to sweet spot numbers, like a 'double-lair' pack for captains & apprentices.



I'm with Red on this. It doesn't make sense to box everything from one race together. You may want multiple packages of minions and captains but, at least so far, there's no need for multiple bosses. Sure, there may be a desire to make an epic mode where you fight two bosses, but for the base level game and the design intent, one is sufficient. This is far more likely...

Skeleton Minion Set - $30-$40
15 Skeleton Minions (random poses)
2 Skeleton Captains

Skeleton Boss - $8-$12
1 Skeleton Boss

If you want to run small games or never double a lair, you buy one skeleton minion set and one skeleton boss. If you want double of the same lair or plan to run larger games with the Darkness popping more frequently, then you want to buy two minion sets and one boss. If the boss is in the minion set, it causes unnecessary redundancy and raises the price point for a wasted model.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
although I wish they would be clear on the MSRP of the items (they probably don't want most people to realize how much cheaper they will be if they wait).


For a game that is still being designed and sculpts still in process, its unreasonable to know what MSRP will be of anything. Even the $90 base game is a ballpark figure. It happens to be in line with most games of this type. They are still picking material for tiles and cards, that will affect cost. Once they have models for everything, they will find out what the cost to mass produce it will be. They don't know this yet. MSRP is a long ways down the road.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
The logical way to sell the pieces is to have boxes of minions and captains - enough to run one lair. Then, if people who weren't backers want to run single or double lairs, they just buy one or two minion packs and they are good to go.

Then, if they want to change the boss they are facing (which is not necessary to change the minions), then you buy a boss pack that contains one boss and the cards.


Hmm, I see why you're saying it like that, I find it really annoying they've taken this whole single/double lair route, I'd kind of want expansions to just provide for doubles initially.

Let me try saying my point another way. Currently we're looking at:
4 new races, each with minions and a boss.
2 existing races, which have been set up so expansions are needed to complete them.
Having each be the ideal to get double lairs & including the bosses, that's 6 boxes. I like expansion sets, hell I've bought a couple of games where I got 1/2 expansions at the same time, 6 is a lot but I can see myself going into a game knowing there was 6 things to buy, just about. I can even see it being cost effective enough for stores to have it in stock (UK here btw).

If we take a route of each minion+captain box being the idea number for 1 lair, then we have
4 new races - Require 2 m+c boxes & 1 boss box
2 existing races - Require 1 m+c box & 1 boss box
We're now looking at 16 extra boxes for things to buy, with 12 unique boxes among them. Oh & another for the skald, and another for the druid. Oh & a slaughterfield expansion pack, and a journeyman classes pack for every single class, and a masters pack for every class, and deck packs (I know those last few count on my other argument, but still)

Is it only me that feels discomforted looking at a game and realizing that just with the first year or so of planned expansion sets there's potentially 20+ separate things to buy, in my personal opinion, that's extreme :S
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
charlest wrote:
although I wish they would be clear on the MSRP of the items (they probably don't want most people to realize how much cheaper they will be if they wait).


For a game that is still being designed and sculpts still in process, its unreasonable to know what MSRP will be of anything. Even the $90 base game is a ballpark figure. It happens to be in line with most games of this type. They are still picking material for tiles and cards, that will affect cost. Once they have models for everything, they will find out what the cost to mass produce it will be. They don't know this yet. MSRP is a long ways down the road.


Good point, however they could ballpark it. They must have some idea or they wouldn't be able to structure pledge levels, add stretch goals and add-ons (unless they're just firing in the dark and hoping to still be able to profit).

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
Has anyone tried asking this question on Kickstarter? I'd very much like to know how they plan on packaging this stuff.

As it stands right now, even if they combine a lot of this stuff and you're forced to buy duplicates, it will still probably be cheaper from Miniature Market or CSI later on.

For instance, how much do you think the Slaughterfield tiles + cards will retail for? $I'd guess $20-$25? Certainly they're not going to be $30-$40 and be nearly the price of games that come with a ton more stuff. If the Slaughterfield set is $25 then it will only cost around $15 from Miniature Market. You can sell off the extra tiles and keep the cards or just keep the tiles for an extra set.

Same with the Elemental Boss, you really think they're going to charge $30 retail for a resin/plastic one piece miniature? Even $30 retail for it will be around $20 for Miniature Market.

I expect the add-on prices on the Kickstarter are being offered to backers at MSRP or even higher. I don't have a problem with this, although I wish they would be clear on the MSRP of the items (they probably don't want most people to realize how much cheaper they will be if they wait).


Ive learned 9 times out of 10, its cheaper come 'retail' from CSI or MM.

Look at Sedition Wars and Zombicide as examples.
And especially Sentinels of the Multiverse.

KS, IMO, is about one of two ways of thinking.
Either, in the mindset of helping a project you admire get launched.
Or, to get the exclusives included in the KS.

Notice, I dont mention to get a good deal / price.
The reason for this is the one I stated above.
Almost always it will be cheaper come retail.

Zombicide had a sale at one point on CSI for $50 for a box.
Sedition Wars I want to say was $65 at one point?
And Sentinels? Prices were close to 1/2 to 2/3 of KS prices.


Back on target for the retail?
I could see most boxes being:
Box 1: 10 minions, 2 captains, 1 lair.
Box 2: Above sets boss with cards and a sculpted lair.
Tile packs (perhaps combined with card packs)
Single Hero packs (and if they are smart will continue the dual gender setups, IMO)
Card packs consisting of Treasure, Quest cards, and a new card or two for each character deck released.
Big box expansions. New tiles, 2-3 new hereos, new quests / treasure decks, and 2 new types of monsters in a 10-15 minions, 2-3 captains each format, and a new boss.

IMO, those make the most sense, and would be what would interest me come retail.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ropya wrote:
charlest wrote:
Has anyone tried asking this question on Kickstarter? I'd very much like to know how they plan on packaging this stuff.

As it stands right now, even if they combine a lot of this stuff and you're forced to buy duplicates, it will still probably be cheaper from Miniature Market or CSI later on.

For instance, how much do you think the Slaughterfield tiles + cards will retail for? $I'd guess $20-$25? Certainly they're not going to be $30-$40 and be nearly the price of games that come with a ton more stuff. If the Slaughterfield set is $25 then it will only cost around $15 from Miniature Market. You can sell off the extra tiles and keep the cards or just keep the tiles for an extra set.

Same with the Elemental Boss, you really think they're going to charge $30 retail for a resin/plastic one piece miniature? Even $30 retail for it will be around $20 for Miniature Market.

I expect the add-on prices on the Kickstarter are being offered to backers at MSRP or even higher. I don't have a problem with this, although I wish they would be clear on the MSRP of the items (they probably don't want most people to realize how much cheaper they will be if they wait).


Ive learned 9 times out of 10, its cheaper come 'retail' from CSI or MM.

Look at Sedition Wars and Zombicide as examples.
And especially Sentinels of the Multiverse.

KS, IMO, is about one of two ways of thinking.
Either, in the mindset of helping a project you admire get launched.
Or, to get the exclusives included in the KS.

Notice, I dont mention to get a good deal / price.
The reason for this is the one I stated above.
Almost always it will be cheaper come retail.

Zombicide had a sale at one point on CSI for $50 for a box.
Sedition Wars I want to say was $65 at one point?
And Sentinels? Prices were close to 1/2 to 2/3 of KS prices.


Absolutely true. However, why these Kickstarters are so damn successful is because the sweet spot pledge levels with Stretch rewards offer much more content for the comparable retail price. Sedition Wars Biohazard sets sell for around $200. Zombicide with kickstarter extras around $250, etc. The miniature games with tons of stretch goals offer amazing value regardless of exclusives.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoothsmith wrote:
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
The logical way to sell the pieces is to have boxes of minions and captains - enough to run one lair. Then, if people who weren't backers want to run single or double lairs, they just buy one or two minion packs and they are good to go.

Then, if they want to change the boss they are facing (which is not necessary to change the minions), then you buy a boss pack that contains one boss and the cards.


Hmm, I see why you're saying it like that, I find it really annoying they've taken this whole single/double lair route, I'd kind of want expansions to just provide for doubles initially.

Let me try saying my point another way. Currently we're looking at:
4 new races, each with minions and a boss.
2 existing races, which have been set up so expansions are needed to complete them.
Having each be the ideal to get double lairs & including the bosses, that's 6 boxes. I like expansion sets, hell I've bought a couple of games where I got 1/2 expansions at the same time, 6 is a lot but I can see myself going into a game knowing there was 6 things to buy, just about. I can even see it being cost effective enough for stores to have it in stock (UK here btw).

If we take a route of each minion+captain box being the idea number for 1 lair, then we have
4 new races - Require 2 m+c boxes & 1 boss box
2 existing races - Require 1 m+c box & 1 boss box
We're now looking at 16 extra boxes for things to buy, with 12 unique boxes among them. Oh & another for the skald, and another for the druid. Oh & a slaughterfield expansion pack, and a journeyman classes pack for every single class, and a masters pack for every class, and deck packs (I know those last few count on my other argument, but still)

Is it only me that feels discomforted looking at a game and realizing that just with the first year or so of planned expansion sets there's potentially 20+ separate things to buy, in my personal opinion, that's extreme :S


Warhammer Quest did a similar thing, with lots of little expansions - a treasure deck, individual heroes, blank cards, etc...

This game feels more... er... modular than other board games. It feels more like a kit to build the dungeons you want to play. Much like Games Workshop stuff, I expect to see lots of smaller packs of things so you can customise your stories.

It doesn't bother me. I'll buy what I want, when I want it.

Guess we will just have to wait and see what MERCs are planning.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no additional insight into this project, so please take anything here as just my opinion.

MERCS is a relatively small company with one product line right now - Myth is taking them to essentially a whole new level. I'm sure as said earlier they're still figuring out what they'll do as well.

I'm pretty sure they have said that anything not specifically labeled as a Kickstart exclusive will eventually be released for sale separately. However, I'm guessing that most of it will take a while - quite possibly a fairly long while - to get to stores.

The Reaper miniature campaign (which I realize may or may not actually be similar to Myth) also got you a lot of plastic minis for your money, and the way they delivered it (since the retail packaging wasn't done) is by shipping everything in foam & unlabeled boxes. I'm personally guessing that Myth will do something similar. That is, they'll get thing shipped out on this first pass without making retail boxes for it all. Those will come later is my guess.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Happymrdave wrote:

The Reaper miniature campaign (which I realize may or may not actually be similar to Myth) also got you a lot of plastic minis for your money, and the way they delivered it (since the retail packaging wasn't done) is by shipping everything in foam & unlabeled boxes. I'm personally guessing that Myth will do something similar. That is, they'll get thing shipped out on this first pass without making retail boxes for it all. Those will come later is my guess.


It would be a surprise to me if this WASN'T how we received all the add-ons and stretches. They only have eight months if they intend to stay on target, after all
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoothsmith wrote:
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
The logical way to sell the pieces is to have boxes of minions and captains - enough to run one lair. Then, if people who weren't backers want to run single or double lairs, they just buy one or two minion packs and they are good to go.

Then, if they want to change the boss they are facing (which is not necessary to change the minions), then you buy a boss pack that contains one boss and the cards.


Hmm, I see why you're saying it like that, I find it really annoying they've taken this whole single/double lair route, I'd kind of want expansions to just provide for doubles initially.

Let me try saying my point another way. Currently we're looking at:
4 new races, each with minions and a boss.
2 existing races, which have been set up so expansions are needed to complete them.
Having each be the ideal to get double lairs & including the bosses, that's 6 boxes. I like expansion sets, hell I've bought a couple of games where I got 1/2 expansions at the same time, 6 is a lot but I can see myself going into a game knowing there was 6 things to buy, just about. I can even see it being cost effective enough for stores to have it in stock (UK here btw).

If we take a route of each minion+captain box being the idea number for 1 lair, then we have
4 new races - Require 2 m+c boxes & 1 boss box
2 existing races - Require 1 m+c box & 1 boss box
We're now looking at 16 extra boxes for things to buy, with 12 unique boxes among them. Oh & another for the skald, and another for the druid. Oh & a slaughterfield expansion pack, and a journeyman classes pack for every single class, and a masters pack for every class, and deck packs (I know those last few count on my other argument, but still)

Is it only me that feels discomforted looking at a game and realizing that just with the first year or so of planned expansion sets there's potentially 20+ separate things to buy, in my personal opinion, that's extreme :S


I can see three major post-retail releases.

January 2014 - Base game, arachnid boxes/boss, orc boxes/boss.
Q2 2014 - Skald, elemental boxes/boss, cyclopes boxes/boss, minotaur boss.
Q3 or 4 - Druid, skeletons boxes/boss, rats boxes/boss, dragon boss.
Holiday - Slaughterfield, Marcus the Ready

That seems like a reasonable release calendar. Look at X-Wing; FFG is on pace to release FOUR waves before the first year anniversary of the game. My guess is it will likely be three, but the pace is there. That's four ships per wave. Very similar to what we see with Myth. Now, one other way to do it is make each release a small box instead of modular. "The Titan War: Cyclopes vs. Elementals" would include all of the Q2 releases above including a new hero. Minotaur boss maybe optional separate release. All of this would also include new quest decks, treasure decks and optional card sleeves as a separate purchase.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take that as a 'Yes, you are the only one it makes feel uncomfortable'

Oh well, guess I'll just stick with the bigger expansions & exclusive upgrades (As I'm sure trickster/spriggan upgrades will need to be bought separately) and ignore all the little stuff, that's what I've done with other games that I think have too many little things. Or just not get any at all which would be a shame (Out of indecision tends to be as much an issue as anything else in these situations).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoothsmith wrote:
I'll take that as a 'Yes, you are the only one it makes feel uncomfortable'


Distributors tend to dislike SKU proliferation as well. More things to keep track of. Retailers don't mind as much but don't like mixed bundles.

I like them. More things to impulse purchase.

Based on the way they've described things, I think we can be reasonably sure that the following are intended to be SKUs on or shortly after the release of the game.

Core Box
Slaughterfield Supplement Pack
Tile Supplement 1 [6 Tiles]
Treasure Deck Expansion
Quest Expansion 1
Enemy Expansion 1 Skeletons [2 Captains, 10 minions, lair and cards]
Enemy Expansion 2 Elemental [2 Captains, 10 minions, lair and cards]
Enemy Expansion 3 Rats [2 Captains, 10 minions, lair and cards]
Enemy Expansion 4 Cyclops [2 Captains, 10 minions, lair and cards]

The following seem likely as SKUs but could be combined with others from this list or the above.
Elemental Boss
Skeleton Boss
Orc Boss
Cyclops Boss
King Rat Boss
Fire Drake Boss
Minotaur Mini Boss
Skald
Marcus the Ready
Agents of Darkness
Sculpted Lairs and Traps.
New World Tiles [10 Tiles]

The Foam inserts will probably be available form Battlefoam.

The extra dice, card sleeves, treasure bag, T-shirts etcetera, I'd expect to be available from Myth directly rather than SKUs.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW - the Myth team said that the products that the will produce from the KS will provide them with about 18 months worth of releases,... Personally; I think this will include at least one big box expansion.

I think that will likely be similar in size to the base game,.. (Two minion types, a boss, and a mini boss, tiles, cards, etc). So maybe Skeletons and Rats are available as upgrade sets, and then the big box could have Elementals, Cyclopes, Cyclops Boss, Minotaur Mini Boss, Expansion Tiles,... Maybe even new heroes.

In this way, you could sell the Orc and Elemental Bosses as single add ons.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.