Commands & Colors: Napoleonics» Forums » General

Subject: The use of the Cossacks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Cossacks seems to be used carefully. In addition to their special missions (keeping a square, holding a victory point etc.) they can also attack but only to finish a very weak unit.

And this unit must be an INF reduced to 1 block if possible. If in square they will have 50% chance of killing it (1 die scoring on 2 INF & 1 FLAG faces). Against INF standing they will have 55% (2 dice scoring on 2 INF faces) plus the extra chances if retreat.

Still quite efficient on 1 block cavalry, artillery or 2 blocks INF, but it’s more a gambling to use them. I mean you risk nothing because they don’t give up VP but you lose the possibility to use them a better way later. Against CAV or ART they only have 30% (2 dice scoring on 1 face) plus the extra chances if retreat. OK let’s go down to 30% but no lower! We should remember that if they fail, they have few chances to survive the opponent turn.

So I think I would use them on 2 blocks INF and 1 block CAV & ART only. And we still imagine they have 2 blocks. If down to 1 block, I’ll save them only to attack the 1 block INF! IMHO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfkwOj1_RhI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP8nqre54FQ

GG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Their best use may be to cut off a retreat route and potentially kill a unit, with no worry about losing them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point Marechal Duke!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Grrr
mbmbmbmbmb
And it would be really nice if the could go 4 hexes in this regard. Given that they are irregulars, rather than a formation, that seems a possibility. Never mind! I have used them effectively in both regards. It's always nice to see them roll 2 inf hits in a headlong charge....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
Their best use may be to cut off a retreat route and potentially kill a unit, with no worry about losing them.

And of course combat is optional so using them as a retreat block or pinning a square is good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.