Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted this over on the DoW forum, but I thought I might get a faster answer here.

So I just got Underground today. I was reading the rules for Tomb when I noticed it says that a Tomb race can redeploy one last time on the turn it declines. I also read here that Tomb Ghouls are a redundancy because they are essentially the same power.

Now to my question, can Ghouls redeploy on the turn they go into decline? That's the way it was played on TableTop (I know, Wil Wheaton is not exactly an official source) and I had thought he played it wrong. Now I'm wondering what the right play is. Can anyone chime in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Re: Ghouls and Redeploying
Ghouls do NOT get to redeploy the same turn they decline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghouls cannot do anything on the turn they go into decline unless they have Stout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great question. I was worried it was another redundant one though.
Any chance you would consider changing the title of the thread to "Tomb Ghouls"? (Or something like that?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bandit_boy7 wrote:
Great question. I was worried it was another redundant one though.
Any chance you would consider changing the title of the thread to "Tomb Ghouls"? (Or something like that?)
I changed it to something a bit closer to what I asked. What do you think?

And thanks for the answers. I was kinda sure but wanted some reinforcement. As I have ruled a few things wrong since getting the game I wanted some back up on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(Geekmail Sent.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bobcatpoet wrote:
Ghouls cannot do anything on the turn they go into decline unless they have Stout.

This is the standard ruling for all powers from the original base game. It's normally correct, even when applied to the expansions (up to this point).
Enter: Underground.

Page 13 of the Underground rulebook states in the "Tomb" description...
Quote:
You may Redeploy [your tokens] one final time before scoring for your In Decline turn.

The essential differences between Tomb & the Ghouls are as follows:
> Ghouls may not (as was previously pointed out) redeploy on their Decline turn. Yet Tomb allows any race matched with it to do so.
> While both Tomb & Ghouls allow all of a player's tokens to stay on the board when going in decline (instead of just 1 in each region), only Ghouls can continue to move & attack on subsequent turns. Tomb tokens just sit until conquered.
> Ghouls can redeploy each turn before & after their decline turn. Tomb tokens can be redeployed only during active turns and the decline (flipping) turn, but never after this turn (exception: when conquered).

Therefore, when paired together, Ghouls + Tomb allows a player to redeploy this race EVERY TURN it is on the board. It's a small advantage that Tomb supplies, and therefore it could be argued that Tomb is a weak or redundant form of "Ghoulism". I welcome other interpretations of the convergence of these 2 rules, but IMO it's pretty straightforward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right, of course. I don't like Underground, so I ignore it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.