Popular Tags: [View All]
zollom
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I was able to play this game for the first time last night and I have to say I actually enjoyed it. Granted it was only a two player game and I know two player games of this type are always trying to over compensate for lack of players. But my question is, why hasn't this game been getting better reviews? It certainly has enough decisions to choose from. It has player interaction. Where does this game go wrong?
My buddy says it's b/c it doesn't have a new feel to it. Let's say like Caylus does.
Where do you guys think this game falls short?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Mäkiketola
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zollom04 wrote:
But my question is, why hasn't this game been getting better reviews? It certainly has enough decisions to choose from. It has player interaction. Where does this game go wrong?
My buddy says it's b/c it doesn't have a new feel to it. Let's say like Caylus does.
Where do you guys think this game falls short?

I played yesterday my first game with 4 players. After hearing all the rules I had this "What! That simple game? How can you even use any tactics?" -feeling. Luckily game offered more than I thought initially. Especially deciding when to take your cards back (and lose a turn basically) is always just painful enough decision to make.

After the game I still had feeling game is maybe "too" balanced. It's a type of an game where it should be impossible to have run-away leader problem. Instead it might have the opposite problem since with players of same skill level the randomness (the startingplayer cards) can affect outcome of the game. Maybe I'm overexaggerating but still decisions made during game aren't as critical as in Caylus for example. There are moments when deciding what to do is really important. There are also many rounds when it's more-or-less the same what you do.

I should still say I really liked the game. Components were great quality and rules simple and overall feeling of the game is relaxed and fun. Even I complained you have too little control basically, you still _have_ total control over game and there is very little luck. Definately a good game. I'm considering buying a copy of my own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kennedy

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just tried our first game this weekend. As a 2-player there was a slow realization that the "guilds under influence" needed as much attention to tile placement as your own guild with the randomness of the cards--especially if you laid down building site cubes. It was disappointing that some components of the game were not integrated into the 2-player version. (That will make it a little harder to introduce the first time one plays with more people, but really the instructions are not that complicated.)

Otherwise, I think the 2-player game makes for an interesting strategy game. The scoring is somewhat reminiscent of Alhambra in terms of the math and gradual point reduction but works fine.

We bought small wooden cubes for scoring since the little cardboard guild pieces are hard to see and move around when piled up in a single scoring track.

We have Panning's "Indus" as well but both thought this one was a better game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.