Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Gears of War: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Replayability issue? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cadrick Loh
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed quite a number of people said that this games lack of replayability.

I just want to ask how do u feel when u're trying to replay the same mission? Does it makes you feel easier and become not challenging anymore?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Really? People say that? I've only noticed the other way around. Yes, there aren't that many missions, but they are randomly set up, so there's a lot of variation in each. Also playing it with different characters and different number of players gives it a whole new feel (at least I feel that way). Of course Hoard Mode with its different difficulties also expand it a great deal. There's also a Mission Expansion out there to get if you for some reason find yourself blasting through the missions. I've had the game for over a year and played it about once a month, and haven't even played them all yet!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Hackman
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Certainly there's an element of discovery that makes the first play of a mission different from subsequent plays. Still, the order of the AI cards and the cards you draw to your hand make quite a bit of difference when it comes to choices. I can't imagine that any two sessions of the same mission will play out all that similarly.

One could argue that the game overall lacks a certain amount of replayability since other than the China Shop mission there's not a huge difference in strategy between any two missions. No matter what you will basically just be moving, taking cover, and shooting for two hours. If you find that enjoyable then you should be able to play any mission multiple times since the tactical decisions are always different.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always find these complaints odd.

Chess is the same game, every time. Nobody complains about a lack of replayability there. And, yes, I know that chess has a ton of different strategies, etc, but it is still the same board, the same collection of pieces, etc.

Gears of Wars had plenty of replayability. The map layouts are always semi-random, and while the play almost always resolves around shooting, covering, and advancing, there is enough strategy to keep things interesting.

This is among one of my favorite solo / co op games. Replayability hasn't been a problem for me, and I always enjoy breaking it out. Even if the same basic strategies apply every time, the game is a rich and rewarding experience.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Kane
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
They'll tell you black is really white The moon is just the sun at night
badge
And when you walk in golden halls You get to keep the gold that falls It's Heaven and Hell
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just say that I've played the game five times already, and only used two missions. I've played with different numbers of players, which changes the game. Also, as others have said, the random level set up makes games feel different. And since the game is actually quite hard, we've lost some missions and therefore wanted to play them over again.

I initially thought that 7 missions wouldn't be enough, but I think we will get plenty of plays out of this game before wanting more.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Schaller
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's as replayable as any game I know of.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As with most of my games, I have yet to get through all the official missions built into the game. Plus there's one POD set, and there are some good fan-made missions. Plenty of replayability here.

(I still want my proper big box expansion FFG!)

-shnar
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
...I still want my proper big box expansion FFG!

-shnar


Hear! Hear!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schafer
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never found a problem with replayability on this one.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gotten 6 plays out of most missions (pairing up the COGs once with each other), few extra on Emergence and an extra on the odd mission I've played with a friend. Some might say six plays per mission is good, for me it only ranks around mediocre.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike oldham
United States
lake station
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Gawain wrote:
Really? People say that? I've only noticed the other way around. Yes, there aren't that many missions, but they are randomly set up, so there's a lot of variation in each. Also playing it with different characters and different number of players gives it a whole new feel (at least I feel that way). Of course Hoard Mode with its different difficulties also expand it a great deal. There's also a Mission Expansion out there to get if you for some reason find yourself blasting through the missions. I've had the game for over a year and played it about once a month, and haven't even played them all yet!

agreed many variations of play also lots of room for variants
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
KingCroc wrote:
I always find these complaints odd.

Chess is the same game, every time. Nobody complains about a lack of replayability there. And, yes, I know that chess has a ton of different strategies, etc, but it is still the same board, the same collection of pieces, etc.



I was about to say the same thing, but you could say that for every game that have no random elements and fixed starting conditions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was about to say the same thing but I can't remember the last time anyone I know played chess at game night.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
I've gotten 6 plays out of most missions (pairing up the COGs once with each other), few extra on Emergence and an extra on the odd mission I've played with a friend. Some might say six plays per mission is good, for me it only ranks around mediocre.


There's 7 missions in the base game. So you've played more than 42 times? Lets round it up to 45 since you say you've played a few more than 6.

At 2 hours a game, you've played 90 hours of Gears of War. 90 hours.

I think we have different expectations for board games.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
There's 7 missions in the base game. So you've played more than 42 times? Lets round it up to 45 since you say you've played a few more than 6.


I haven't tried Horde mode/mission, it never really did anything for me in the video games either. But I have played the POD Missions both six times and currently have 55 plays of GoW logged.

Quote:
At 2 hours a game, you've played 90 hours of Gears of War. 90 hours.


Umm, no. GoW takes 45-60 minutes, at MOST. Emergence takes all of 15 minutes, if that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub sethseth
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Only setup takes 30minutes..) ok, i got your point..

Today Ive played roadblocks again and I was literally amazed.. at the first sight it seems pretty easy, but it is not easy at all.. (played with two COGs).. second level has to be played with absolutelly different tactics.. love this game..
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
charlest wrote:
There's 7 missions in the base game. So you've played more than 42 times? Lets round it up to 45 since you say you've played a few more than 6.


I haven't tried Horde mode/mission, it never really did anything for me in the video games either. But I have played the POD Missions both six times and currently have 55 plays of GoW logged.

Quote:
At 2 hours a game, you've played 90 hours of Gears of War. 90 hours.


Umm, no. GoW takes 45-60 minutes, at MOST. Emergence takes all of 15 minutes, if that.


Do you just play solo? No way its taking 45-60 minutes with 3-4 players unless you don't discuss tactics at all and play in solitude.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo or with a friend, 2 COGs either way.

Anyway, for a game I like as much as GoW, 55 plays with an expansion (be it POD) gets it to okay/mediocre replayability. If you catch me on the right day, might even give it a good rating, but mere 55 plays isn't in the ballpark for excellent/great rating.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, I think I've played this, oh 5 times? And love it.

I do find the game nicely replayable (and I would think 55 games attests to that).

-shnar
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I only played it a few times before I traded it away, I felt the game really needs an expansion and then I will revisit it. I just got bored with what was in the box,
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.