• [+] Dice rolls
g avenant
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: City Centre - 2 player PnP game
Okay, I've added this thread to the two lists

I've made a few improvements to the rules: Demolition of buildings can now be done (albeit at a cost), to add a bit more variety to the game play. I organised the tiles a bit better to make the game more simpler (no need to rotate cards to match a similar card).

And then another idea! I thought of creating a 3D version, with different sized pegs for illustrating the buildings. The pegs can be red and blue for the individual players, and then maybe green pegs for parks which can be randomly placed at the beginning of the game to create a bit of a challenge and improve the replay value.

The pegs would also make this game a nice traveling game for the bus or aeroplane, since the components can't move

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
g avenant
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: City Centre - 2 player PnP game
Some more ideas! Extra points can be given at the end of the game when a specific developer "owns" a whole column or row(street) thereby extra giving extra targets for players to aim for. I think maybe less points can also be given for this durin the game, to influence the short term tactics.

Update:
I updated the rules/components to version 0.5.
Changes:
1. Removed demolishing buildings again, since the restriction of not being able to demolish buildings easily actually improves the gameplay for me.
2.The scoring! No more need for scoring during turns, only at the end of the game. Losing points was also changed to rather losing contracts.

I recently read somewhere that it is sometimes better to remove features than to add them -> and the continuous scoring felt a bit irritating for me. I think my solution might be simpler now with no scoring during turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
g avenant
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am enjoying the way things are progressing:

I updated the components for a better PnP experience. The building pieces should be printed double-sided so they can easily be flipped when renovated.

My next problem I would like to tackle is the asymmetrical-ness of the game - the player playing last has a slight advantage of capturing an extra few points undefended. My initial thoughts at combatting this, is to designate the colours the start order - blue always starts first. Then to have the largest value on the second players last contract card not count. Any ideas/suggestions?

I found a geeklist full of skyscraper buildings games Build a skyscraper after someone suggested I should look at the game Manhattan for inspiration. At first sight City Centre looks very similar to the game Hong Kong in theme and mechanics, although it (luckily) differs in several aspects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LudiCreations
Finland
Turku, Finland / Boston, MA, USA
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
There's also Town Center.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
g avenant
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LudiCreations wrote:

I noticed it, but seems a lot more different - although my name is a lot more similar - do you think this might be an issue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LudiCreations
Finland
Turku, Finland / Boston, MA, USA
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
vriendspookstem wrote:
LudiCreations wrote:

I noticed it, but seems a lot more different - although my name is a lot more similar - do you think this might be an issue?

The name? No.

The game? Perhaps, but not in a legal way, if that's what you're asking. It's likely that people might compare them though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.