Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Johnson
United States
Bennington
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Ok, here's the scenario:

Turn X: MUTANTS conquer and control all biohazard + fallout territories at the end of their turn. By faction special power rule they gain 1 star.

Turn X +1: MUTANTS intentionally abandon 1 biohazard territory

QUESTION 1: would the player controlling MUTANTS automatically lose their previously earned star?

If not...

Turn X+2: Mutants re-conquer the biohazard territory lost in turn X+1, thereby once again controlling all biohazard + fallout territories.

QUESTION 2: would the player controlling MUTANTS earn a SECOND star for once again satisfying the faction special power?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loose Cannon
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe they get 1 (theoretical) star when they control all said territories. And lose it when they lose control.

I believe reds are special powers that COUNT as red stars, but aren't really you gaining an actual red star from the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a so called mission. You can do it only once, and then you get to keep the star, even if you abandon the territories. And it is not a virtual star, you really get a star marker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yodatodd wrote:

Turn X +1: MUTANTS intentionally abandon 1 biohazard territory

How? You cannot choose to move the last man out of a territory, and since Mutants don't lose troops for being in that zone, I'm not clear how you can intentionally abandon the area. Get defeated and lose it, sure.

yodatodd wrote:

QUESTION 1: would the player controlling MUTANTS automatically lose their previously earned star?.....QUESTION 2: would the player controlling MUTANTS earn a SECOND star for once again satisfying the faction special power?

Nope. No more than any other player completing any other mission would lose the star if on a later turn they no longer meet the requirements of that mission. For example, on the "conquer X cities in one turn", you get a star - but you do not LOSE the star if, next turn, you do NOT conquer that many cities.

Missions are a "do what it says, win the reward, all done" deal, which included the Mutant special mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Johnson
United States
Bennington
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Why would you not be able to abandon a territory during fortification?

Regardless, though, you seem to be suggesting what I was fearful of, which is that either through abandoning or conquer/reconquer mutants can acquire stars far too easily. suppose that there are only 2 biohazard territories + fallout, then 1 or both biohazards are covered up with blank white scars. mutants can now focus on JUST the fallout and win in 3-4 turns. and the rest of the table would be virtually incapable of doing anything about it since they lose 1/2 just going in the damn territory!

EDIT: nm about the maneuvering question/concern.

so my only remaining question about this would be if the mutants can continue to earn stars if a biohazard or fallout is conquered, then conquered back by the mutants. in other words:

turn X: mutants earned a star for conquering all bio + fallout

turn Y: biohazard territory lost by mutants in combat

turn Z: biohazard territory re-won in combat by mutants, all biohazard + fallout once again controlled
>>>>would this earn the mutants a second physical red star?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can do this private mission only once per game, so even if you lose and regain the territories, you can get only one star.

If you cover the biohazards, the mutants have it easier.

You cannot intentionally give up a territory, this is in the rules. However, if a scar or event removes a troop, this can empty a territory. But just as I said, even then the mutants can do their mission only once per game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Missions are done once, you earn reward, that's it. So they can't keep re-taking the same spaces and re-earning the mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.