Obsolete Man
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It appears that Power is only gained in the following ways:

1) Win an unopposed challenge (1 Power)
2) Win Dominance (1 Power)
3) Gain Power on a character due to Renown (usually 1 Power)
4) Gain Power due to a special card or Plot effect
5) Swipe Power from your opponent with a Power challenge (1 Power)

The reason I ask is that it seems that Power accrues rather slowly, and that you will probably go through all 7 Plots for each player and not reach 15 Power, which seems odd to me. I thought maybe I missed something.

For example, that means that the Stark player will probably get Valar'ed twice in any given game, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had games which have gotten through all the plots and restarted and others that have ended during the first pass through. I don't think either case is a problem.

You do realise that Valar Morghulis also kills all the Lannister characters, right? That's the same for all plots that don't specifically refer to 'you' or 'your opponent'. VM might come out twice in a game, but both players will be starting from zero characters again (or with whichever characters had cards they could use to save themselves), so that seems perfectly fair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd
United Kingdom
Camden
London
flag msg tools
badge
This game is bullshit.
mbmbmbmbmb
Requete wrote:
it seems that Power accrues rather slowly

I've played more than 20 times and never seen the game last more than about 10 rounds. 5 to 8 is about normal, so yes, it's possible Valar Morghulis could be played twice, but it's not always of benefit to the Lannister player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Obsolete Man
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:

You do realise that Valar Morghulis also kills all the Lannister characters, right?

Yes but they seem to have lots of ways of getting gold fast which means they can rebuild more easily. Plus they get to decide when to play VM.

From what I can see, pretty much the entire game revolves around whether Lannister Valars at the right time. I want to like it, but the game looks terribly lopsided. It's too soon for me to say definitively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played one game so far, but I was impressed that it ended right on the 7th plot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Durtschi
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mb
sweetsweetdoughnuts wrote:
Requete wrote:
it seems that Power accrues rather slowly

I've played more than 20 times and never seen the game last more than about 10 rounds. 5 to 8 is about normal, so yes, it's possible Valar Morghulis could be played twice, but it's not always of benefit to the Lannister player.

Agreed, I have played about 20-25 times and games rarely dip into the 8+ round length.

You also realize that the game is way more fun when you plot draft rather than using the same plot cards every time you play.

After my first 5 or 6 games and got the hang of it, I never played the default plot cards again, I have been drafting ever sense, and it makes the game so much more fun and strategic, and it also gets rid of any stark or lannister pre-set advantages.

I think people make too much of the V.M. card. Yes, when you first start playing, that card just seems like the god card, but after awhile, it loses its luster. I hardly ever take that card in the draft if it comes up, because I see it as a loser's card, one that is great if you are hopelessly behind, but one that sucks if you are actually ahead and winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.