Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't have the pleasure of playing Fleet until I get back to Canada in the summer, but was wondering about the Weather Authority Card's power.

In theory, if a person had one of these cards and rolled 'Fleet' each time, could sink a good number of everyone's boats. With two licenses come two rolls, and double 'Fleet's would mean two boats sunk. If you are a person without the ability to control the weather, you are basically at the mercy of a dice roll that, 5 times out of 6, is going to cost you victory points.

Is this card too powerful? I know it was kind of a fun extra, and I like the idea, but I worry that it'd make the game a bit unfair...

Your thoughts are very welcome, as I still have 7 weeks to go before I can play...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Clymer
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...if you're lucky enough for 2 of the Weather Authority licenses to be shuffled into your license deck at the beginning setup, you mean. It's not guaranteed that a Weather Authority will even be in your deck, let alone 2 of them.

If you do happen to find, and win the bids, for 2 of these licenses, you've spent $10 (minimum) on the licenses - granted that gives you 14VP and the ability to annihilate opponent's fleets, but is that truly worth the benefit?

The cards/or processed crates necessary to win the bids on two copies of this license could be better spent obtaining fishing licenses, launching boats, or hiring captains for said boats. I certainly agree that fighting for one of these licenses, at a reasonable price is worth it in the long-run, but that second license, I'd argue, would be a detriment to your overall fleet size and fishing productivity.

I've played several games where I've focused COMPLETELY on launching 2 boats and hiring 2 captains every turn and have obliterated an opponent who was very lucky with "Fleet" rolls. I won by over a 30VP margin. That opponent, not a tactical amateur by any means, just spent too much money and too much time on trying to screw me over that they forgot that they had to catch fish of their own to win .

The question was whether or not the license is overpowered and to that, I say no. It has a time and place for everything and certainly is easily counterbalanced by smart game play on the end of opponents not holding the Weather Authority license.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the well-written reply. I am glad to know that they can be added without any unbalancing of the game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.