Subject: Details on "La grande battle" expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Laporte
France
Limeil-Brevannes
Val de Marne
flag msg tools
Guys, for those of you who have played with Mr Borg or know more about the "La grande battle" expansion, could you please give us more details about it? I guess the rules are not finished yet and as such, we'll of course take any info with a grain of salt but it could nevertheless be very interesting.

I'm also asking this because I'm thinking about using 18mm figures to play (AB but they are expansive and NaW and Blue Moon probably) and I've been thinking about ordering a board from HotMatz to have more "imposing" blocks of figures.

However, if in "La Grande Battle" expansion, two boards are needed, that means that I won't have the room anymore to play and it would be simply too expansive to buy another mat. I say that because I have seen on CCN.net "epic" scenarios and, while they are unofficial, I wonder if they are directly inspired from the "La Grande Battle" expansion?

Anyway, I'm probably going to settle for blocks with less figures but keep playing on the official board. If the "La Grande Battle" expansion does indeed use two boards, that means that big battles will be very pleasing for the eyes even with less figures.

And two other questions:

- Will "La Grande Battle" expand the number of players? I'd love to see actions on 2vs2 and 3vs3 with possible miscommunication between allies if, for instance, you are not allowed to speak as much as you want to the other players to represent the fact that the means of communication are limited.

- WIll there be a campaign system in "La Grande Battle"? I'd love that, especially if your troops would vary depending on the losses/wins of previous scenarios. This could for instance reward the player who manages to reduce the losses on his troops in order to continue the fight on the next battles, and so on.

And I'm very happy about the fact that the russian expansion is out for a few months (the battles look like fun and there are more action from guard units from the French which is cool as I like them) and that the austrians should be out in June and prussians later this year.

Oh, one last question... What do you think the battles will be in "La Grande Battle"? I think the obvious choices are Austerlitz, Leipzig, maybe Lutzen and Dresden, and probably upgraded versions of Waterloo (with the prussians) as well as other battles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LNAGary wrote:

(the battles look like fun and there are more action from guard units from the French which is cool as I like them)

I thought the same once ... but my heart bleeds everytime a French Guard block is removed ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Le Grande Battle is very similar to Epic Ancients: two boards are set side by side forming a 26x9 board. There is an overall commander and 3 field commanders. If you have fewer players, the overall commander can command the center, with either 1 player per flank or 1 player commanding both flanks.

Our group has also played 2 vs. 2 games, like Salamanca, where each player commands a wing. We started the game trying to have both players on a side playing their turn at the same time, but we soon abandoned this, as there wasn't much interaction between allied players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We used to play BCry 2 VS 2 (if more players they want poker lol) and it was greaaat!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind also that the boards may not just be side by side but stacked to present a 'deeper' maneuver area.

That layout has me very curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
sduke wrote:
Keep in mind also that the boards may not just be side by side but stacked to present a 'deeper' maneuver area.

That layout has me very curious.

Called "Breakthrough" in Memoir and it works very well. Makes manouvring more vital.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Laporte
France
Limeil-Brevannes
Val de Marne
flag msg tools
Yes, but is there somebody here who did play the "official" expansion? I think I had seen somebody telling so.

I also recall somebody saying that a "deep" map wouldn't work in Napoleonics as the line infantry is too slow to manoeuvre (1 hex a turn).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dippel
Germany
Rheinhausen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
I am from Bavaria
badge
King Ludwig II of Bavaria
mbmbmbmb
We play my Breakthrough scenarios

http://www.ccnapoleonics.net/Maps/Peninsular-War-1808-1814/m...

with some revised command cards, similar the Breakthrough card deck in Memoir 44.
So you can order additional units with some command cards, only to move,
and it works well

Sure, if we should get in future a official epic style extension, similar the Breakthrouhg map in MM44, we need also a revised command card deck, which compensate the slow 1hex movements in CCNapo

But it works general, as i wrote above
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LNAGary wrote:
Yes, but is there somebody here who did play the "official" expansion? I think I had seen somebody telling so.

I also recall somebody saying that a "deep" map wouldn't work in Napoleonics as the line infantry is too slow to manoeuvre (1 hex a turn).

Yes, I played with the official rules when Richard Borg was at Celesticon (http://celesticon.com) last year. Similar to the initial version of Epic Ancients, you use 2 card decks and modify the meaning of some cards for LGB. I'm sure there will be a dedicated LGB deck whenever the game is officially published.

And yes, it's hard for infantry that move only 1 hex to get very far, just as is the case for heavy/medium infantry in C&C Ancients. If you were to play a breakthrough format game, you'd probably need to have rules analogous to "on the move" in Memoir 44, where units could march further without attacking. Maybe allow a unit to march an extra hex as long as it does not move adjacent to an enemy or enter within firing range?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Laporte
France
Limeil-Brevannes
Val de Marne
flag msg tools
Ok Ken, so it was in breakthrough format then? The two boards were not side by side?

Are there any pics of the table? I'm curious to see it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules that Richard sent me were for the standard Epic format, creating a 26x9 hex grid. Richard sent me some picture:

I was just mentioning that if you were to try C&CN with a deeper board (e.g., an Epic BattleLore board), that I think you'd need some extra mechanism to get your infantry into the battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Laporte
France
Limeil-Brevannes
Val de Marne
flag msg tools
Thanks to all of you for the info and suggestions guys.

Seems like I can safely prepare my 15/18mm armies for the normal board and wait for the LGB expansion to have huge battles. I already have 3 friends who like playing with me, so LGB should definitely be an option. And with all the expansion coming, seems like we'll be busy for quite a while! (didn't have the time yet to play the russian expansion!).

I'll open a new thread about my figurines project for C&C:N. Beginning in the 15/18mm napoleonic range is quite a difficult task as it seems that there are many ranges but a lot of them are not compatible. If you guys have any advice about it, I'm listening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LNAGary wrote:
And with all the expansion coming, seems like we'll be busy for quite a while! (didn't have the time yet to play the russian expansion!).

Make time You won't regret it - a fantastic expansion and the numerous 10 VP scenarios might satisfy your 'big battle' appetite until LGB comes out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ortolani
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Gary, I did something similar with 28mm figures, as you can see here http://boardgamegeek.com/image/612200/commands-colors-napole...
Unfortunately, this scale is not practical when you have no room in your house, so I'm starting from scratch in a smaller scale. If you don't know them already, try Newline Designs miniatures http://www.newlinedesigns.co.uk. They're 20mm sole to eye, so a bit smaller then the 1/72 plastic, and a bit taller then BlueMoon. I placed an order a couple of days ago. The napoleonics army packs offer a good value for money. Have a look.

Good luck with your project, I can't wait to see your first pictures

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Laporte
France
Limeil-Brevannes
Val de Marne
flag msg tools
(watch out, very long post about figs coming!)

Hello Mike! Well, the fun fact is that months ago, I had started a similar project but I was thinking about doing it in 28mm! I was inspired by the work of several people who were playing C&C Napoleonics with 28mm and I remember seeing your pics. Very impressive work which played a part in me wanting to play with minis again!

Unfortunately, I had to cancel the 28mm project. I had bought some zvezda and they were cool but I've immediately noticed that they wouldn't fit the official board. I wanted to have a "mass effect" on the board and the 28mm were just taking too much space.

So, for 15/18mm, I want to make sure that I can have this effect and use the regular board, as the LGB expansion will take two boards and there would be no room anymore at my place with two hotzmats using 5 inch hexes (and I'm not exactly sure my girlfriend would be very happy about it whistle).

So, I had ordered from two manufacturers:

- AB: they are considered the top of 15mm (18mm really) and as such are very expansive. So I orderd from them some young guard and cuirassiers to see how they looked like.

- Man at War: a relatively recent manufacturer which manufactures miniatures fitted for their rules, "Napoleon at War". The figs were 19mm from what I read on many forums and could fit with AB. I took a french line infantry brigade to check this.

Once I had received the two boxes (about 10 days for both but it was easter), I compared them.

AB minis really are incredible. They are very detailed and seem easy to paint as everything is there and well defined. There was some flash but not so much on most minis.

MaW are... well, they're alright, not bad at all but they pale in comparison with AB. The other problem is that they are indeed much "bigger" than AB. Their base is very thick while AB's are thin and the men themselves are bulkier. I realized by placing minis of both brand near one another that it wouldn't be possible to use them together. The rifle, for instance, was much bigger on the NaW figure and as such, would make the AB ones look like toys.

The problem was the same with horses as AB ones looked like ponies which made the cuirassiers look kind of ridiculous.

With this realization, I've decided I'll order 15/18mm from two other manufacturers as AB are too expansive to create a whole army with them, at least for me. I've seen that CGM and WarModelling seem compatible with AB and are less expansive, so I'm going to take this route, mixing AB/CGM/WarModelling.

Of course, I'm going to order some minis from CGM and WM before ordering a lot of them. I want to compare them with AB but from what I've read so far, they should be ok. The minis I'll use to compare will be classic line infantry as I want to see how the three brands can be mixed together.

About Blue Moon, the minis are cool and not expansive but they are very repetitive from what I've seen with only one pose (marching) and some variations on it.

Forgot to say: I've also placed the minis on the C&C:N board to see how I was going to organize them. One block of infantry will be replaced by 3 figures on one base. For each unit, one of the base will include an eagle bearer and this base will be used as a victory banner when the opponent manages to destroy the entire unit.

About the cavalry, I'm going to use base of 2xhorses + 1 base for the standard bearer. The horses take a lot of room on the hex, that's why there will be three bases with 2 horses and one with only 1 horse.

So, for instance, for a french line infantry unit, there will be 12 men including an officer and an eagle bearer. For a cuirassiers unit, there will be seven riders with one of them being the eagle bearer.

ABout NewLine, they look beautiful but, as I've started with AB which is 15/18mm, I'll have to stick with this plan for various reasons, mainly they are smaller figures so they should "fit" on the C&C board and I kind of fell in love with the AB ones.

You could however be interested in NaW figures, they are cheap and are alright, less detailed than AB and more flash but still ok.

Here you go and sorry for the lengthy post. ^^ I'm also thinking about adding 3D terrains but let's take care of the minis first!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.