Mice and Mystics» Forums » General

Subject: Game Difficulty? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cadrick Loh
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Was wondering whether I should get this or Gears of War.

I would like to compare them in terms of difficulty/challenge, and replayability.

Anyone mind to share with me about the game difficulty?
Is it easy to play or it's challenging?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who will you be playing with, or is this to play solo?

The game itself is relatively easy enough in terms of the rules, and personally I don't think I've lost a scenario yet, but YMMV on that one.

However, part of the charm of this game is the story, and following the campaign through - not sure how much I'd enjoy by playing it solo.

I haven't played Gears of War so cannot compare and contrast unfortunately
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cadrick Loh
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Most of the time would be solo, but sometimes I'll be playing with brothers which made up total of 2-3 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sinclair
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trebormills wrote:
I own MnM and have played GoW

Both are good games but I found GoW has that classic - lets make it really tough to win mode (well the mission i played did anyway). Both look good, have nice minis and can be played co op or solo

Id love both but given choice of one i went MnM...appeals to my rpg inner geek i guess

I have to agree with Robert. Like him I own MM and have played GoW.

Both games have great components and cool minis. Both have interesting and unique mechanics (M&M cheese economy and GoW action/life cards). Both can be played Solo.

GoW is a bit grittier and in the few times I've played seemed a bit harder to beat. On the other hand M&M is a story telling game and the whole point is to progress through the story; I'm not sure you want those impossible to win scenarios.

I think, in the end, it boils down to which genre you prefer. GoW does a great job replicating the video game, specifically the extra content, where you progress though a story but, in the end it's just about killing bad guys. M&M has a more role playing feel where you invest in your character by leveling up and finding more powerful equipment that you will need to defeat the latter, more difficult, chapters.

Another consideration is the expectation for expansions. M&M has an announced intent for expansions. I'm not sure if the same is true for GoW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wiggins
United States
Kingwood
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Uh! It's this darn dice tower!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played GoW, but I own MnM and have played over 10 times now. I've won, like, twice.

I think it's really hard personally. Not the mechanics themselves, they're pretty simple (though you'll find tons of rules questions on the forums, some from me!). Before I say more, I will note that I'd rate this game about a 7 or 8. I like it a lot, but I don't love it.

What I like: the story, the character building aspects, the minis, the general look and feel of it all.

What I'm not crazy about is all the dice. You can get to the last tile, have awesome equipment and full health, but then you start rolling poorly for yourself and extremely "well" for the minions. It'll be over before you know it! I feel like there is often just too much chance involved and the chapters often seem a couple pages too short IMHO. I understand most games boil down to a large degree of luck ultimately, but this one is starting to get un-fun to lose (as opposed to Arkham Horror for instance where it really doesn't matter to me win or lose).

Again, all this said, I still like the game and have a friend I play it with semi-weekly in a campaign. We're thinking of introducing a "Save" house rule where we can restart any tile with the equipment we had when we "discovered" it which might help increase the fun and success rate.

I'm not sure I wrote this to help answer your question or to vent. Hopefully it was helpful though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Unless you are playing with Children, I'd go with Gears of War.
The missions are more replayable and the game is a bit more involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.