Dungeon Command: Curse of Undeath» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rule question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonte Rydberg
msg tools
mb

Hello all!
I was playing my third game of Dungeon Command yesterday, the matchup was CoU vs ToG, and a few questions came up that we hope the community could help us with :-)
I dont have the game in front of me, so writing from memory, so some details might be slightly wrong.

1. CoU has a card called something like "Dragon Affinity", my question is:
Can this card only be used by a creature with keyword Dragon, or can it be used by any creature of Level 3 CHA?

2. CoU has a ghost/spirit monster, that does sliding as movement. It is clear that this creature can move through walls. But as far as I understand it, it still pays 2 for moving through difficult terrain? (which seems a bit silly).
Also, when starting next to an enemy, its move is limited to 1, even though it is sliding, right?

Feedback appreciated! :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not an expert, but I don't think sliding has that 1 space move limit when adjacent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1. Dragon Affinity means that a creature with the "dragon" keyword can play the card regardless of its level and abilities (rulebook page 11). For example, the Copper Dragon from Heart of Cormyr could play Fear even though it doesn't have the CHA ability. A level 3+ creature with CHA also fulfills the requirements and can play Fear like any other Order card.

2. The Hypnotic Spirit has phasing for movement, not sliding. Phasing allows the spirit to ignore walls during its movement but doesn't change the effects of difficult or hazardous terrain (previously discussed in this thread). Sliding is a different type of movement, also discussed on page 11 of the rulebook. All creatures have a speed of 1 when they start moving adjacent to enemies.

Good choice in playing CoU; that's my favorite faction!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonte1977 wrote:

Can this card only be used by a creature with keyword Dragon, or can it be used by any creature of Level 3 CHA?
The creature _either_ has to have the Dragon keyword _or_ it has to be level 3 CHA.
Jonte1977 wrote:

2. CoU has a ghost/spirit monster, that does sliding as movement. It is clear that this creature can move through walls. But as far as I understand it, it still pays 2 for moving through difficult terrain? (which seems a bit silly).
Also, when starting next to an enemy, its move is limited to 1, even though it is sliding, right?
This is the Hypnotic Spirit.
It's phasing ability allows it to shift when moving and pass through walls, nothing else. This means that it has to pay two for moving through difficult terrain. And yes, its speed is reduced to 1 if it starts it's turn next to an enemy.

So, it works a bit different than burying speed.

Sliding, btw, is a type of forced movement.

Edit: ninjaed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mansell
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Jonte1977 wrote:

Hello all!
I was playing my third game of Dungeon Command yesterday, the matchup was CoU vs ToG, and a few questions came up that we hope the community could help us with :-)
I dont have the game in front of me, so writing from memory, so some details might be slightly wrong.

Feedback appreciated! :-)

1. The order card is called "Fear" and Dragon Affinity means that any Dragon may ignore the Level and Ability requirements to play the card. All other non-Dragon creatures must still meet the CHA and Level 3 requirements to play it.

2. The Hypnotic Spirit has "Phasing"; this in no way slides it. The only thing "Phasing" does is allow the Hypnotic Spirit to move through wall squares. Per the rules, if you begin your activation adjacent to any enemy creature, your Speed for that activation is 1 (and cannot be raised). Also, yes, while "Phasing", or moving in general, the Hypnotic Spirit is still affected by Difficult Terrain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonte1977 wrote:

Hello all!

1. It's in the rulesbook. "Affinity to X" means that creatures of type X ignore the ability/level requirements for the card. Like Web in the Drow set can be used by all Spiders even though it's a INT level 2 card and no spider has INT.

So here it means that all Dragons can use it even if they don't have CHA (I think they all do right now though).

2. Yeah, phasing still doesn't allow you to ignore difficult terrain. And your move is limited to 1 if you start next to an enemy even with Phasing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonte Rydberg
msg tools
mb
Ah, now it is much more clear!

Thanks a lot for your feedback! :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.