United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Something odd seems to be happening to me. I'm getting interested in the eastern front of WWII. I say that's odd because I find the eastern front during WWII to be...boring. I honestly do or did until recently. I'm getting more and more interested in the battle of Stalingrad. Of course being a wargamer I can't be interested in a battle and not have a game to simulate it. Thus I'm looking for Stalingrad game.

I'm thinking 2 players 3-4 hours max play time. I hate huge monster chit stacks 4 and 5 high so I'd like to keep the counter density down. I want to battle my opponent not the counter stacks. Prefer in print.

I'm thinking of Storm Over Stalingrad as I like MMP games and I like area impulse. I have read however about how light the game is and I want something with some good historical depth to it. I'm afraid the game might not have that historical depth I want. I want something more than a Stalingrad version of A House Divided to use a civil war example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cam Platell
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a really good summary on Stalingrad games that was posted last year in boardgame geek (top ten games). The only Stalingrad game that I found really engaging was Streets of Stalingrad. Yes it is massive and involes a large number of units, but some of the smaller scenarios can be completed in a reasonable amount of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Gebhardt
Germany
Köln
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Case Blue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also out of print and $300 for copies in the BGG marketplace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like area impulse then Turning Point: Stalingrad

OOP but fairly easy to get on eBay/Marketplace. It's a while since I played it but I did like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
mrbeankc wrote:
It's also out of print and $300 for copies in the BGG marketplace.

Recently I've been hunting a copy of Turning Point: Stalingrad. SoS is its younger brother. Not playable in 3 hours though. Double that, I'd say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try this John Hill classic.. Battle for Stalingrad ..not area impulse but definitely a great game..it uses a chit draw sysytem (possibly the first in gaming history) to regulate play and impart a feeling of simultaneous action..

I can't speak for the recent remake but I'm told it's more or less the same..

If you do manage to get a copy of the original make sure you head over to CSW where you can download some cutout-able hexes to fix a few errors on the map..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm starting to think that there is a big hole in the Stalingrad wargaming market. There are 1,265 Battle of the Bulge games published every year but when we talk Stalingrad we're very quickly reaching back for games from 30 years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Battle of Stalingrad

Reprinted for the Decision Great Battles series, which is an indication of its success. Numerous design strengths, and great simplification of the entire summer offensive without dilution must be one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June Hwang Wah
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
domus_ludorum wrote:
If you like area impulse then Turning Point: Stalingrad

I'd second this recommendation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
I'm starting to think that there is a big hole in the Stalingrad wargaming market. There are 1,265 Battle of the Bulge games published every year but when we talk Stalingrad we're very quickly reaching back for games from 30 years ago.

I feel the same way! I have Streets of Stalingrad 3rd edition, it took me a while to get it and it wasn't cheap. I would love to see this game reprinted, currently there aren't that many copies out there...maybe 1500. Originally about 3000 were printed but there was a flood in the warehouse so about 1500 were lost L2 Design Group published SoS 3rd edition, however Dana Lombardy owns the rights to the game. I would be great if he say connected with GMT and get the game reprinted...It would buy another copy easily.

I agree with Steve, John Hill's Battle for Stalingrad would be my second choice...It was recently reprinted with Excalibre Games, Inc., I have this copy and it good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carl huber
England
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
There was a really good summary on Stalingrad games that was posted last year in boardgame geek (top ten games).

Top 10 Battle for Stalingrad Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schmittgens
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wetwebwork wrote:

Fixed that for you (first time I've used that phrase)

Top 10 Battle for Stalingrad Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cameron
United States
Charleston
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Try this:

http://unityofcommand.net/

It's a great little game, and you can play a scenario in 30-45 minutes easy. (And there's a NATO counter mod if you have trouble with the bobbleheads like I did...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy M
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Atraxrobustus wrote:
Try this John Hill classic.. Battle for Stalingrad ..not area impulse but definitely a great game..it uses a chit draw sysytem (possibly the first in gaming history) to regulate play and impart a feeling of simultaneous action..

not sure this fits the stipulation for 3-4 hours play time?! maybe for 2 turns

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy M
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aforandy wrote:
The Battle of Stalingrad

Reprinted for the Decision Great Battles series, which is an indication of its success. Numerous design strengths, and great simplification of the entire summer offensive without dilution must be one of them.

This is a very impressive game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you get the original game, you can get this strategy guide to go with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:

You could go for the squad-level approach:
Combat Commander: Battle Pack #2 – Stalingrad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
Turning Point: Stalingrad is a good impulse game and gives a good feel to the battle, IMO. The real trick is finding the expansion kit
if you really want to go "die hard" on the battle. Took me a couple of years to track a copy and found one down under (literally: I bought it from a guy in Australia )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Emery
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Storm Over Stalingrad will not give you what you're after. It's a fun, fast playing game and I enjoy it but there's not much historical depth there. Unfortunately I'm not sure what to recommend to you instead. Streets of Stalingrad is probably the most historical game on the fight for the city, but it's definitely in 'huge stacks of counters' territory (not to mention pricy). There's Red Barricades for ASL which has a beautiful map but is again, more of a game than a sim and certainly cannot be played in 4 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Switzerland
Basel
Basel Stadt
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Capitaine Conan," by Roger Vercel (1934).
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Try this John Hill classic.. Battle for Stalingrad

I'll second (or third?) that suggestion. I really like this game.

Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
I'm thinking of Storm Over Stalingrad as I like MMP games and I like area impulse. I have read however about how light the game is and I want something with some good historical depth to it. I'm afraid the game might not have that historical depth I want. I want something more than a Stalingrad version of A House Divided to use a civil war example.

I would check out this review (and ensuing discussion), which was written with fans of area-impulse games in mind. Especially informative if you've played Turning Point: Stalingrad.

If you're satisfied with the level of detail usually found in area-impulse games, you shouldn't be disappointed with SOS. It's definitely not the sort of simulation-level experience of Streets of Stalingrad (my favorite), but it still captures the battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Langley Kitchings
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a game on the latter part of the battle, that is, Operation Uranus, you can try Stalingrad pocket from The Gamers (now MMP). There are two editions, and I think both are fairly inexpensive, especially when copmpared to Streets of Stalingrad. You cannot play a campaign game in the 2-3 hours, but there are proabably some scenarios that can be completed in that time frame. The counter density in the city is pretty high, but not so bad in the surrounding countryside. The game does NOT focus on the city fighting, but instead the Russian counteroffensive that surrounds the city, and subsequent German relief efforts outside "Der Kessel."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
catosulla wrote:
Turning Point: Stalingrad is a good impulse game and gives a good feel to the battle, IMO. The real trick is finding the expansion kit
if you really want to go "die hard" on the battle. Took me a couple of years to track a copy and found one down under (literally: I bought it from a guy in Australia )

I remember seeing "unofficial" copies of the TP:S expansion on eBay a little while back. The original TP:S expansion was often more expensive than the game itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Stalica
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
Something odd seems to be happening to me. I'm getting interested in the eastern front of WWII. I say that's odd because I find the eastern front during WWII to be...boring. I honestly do or did until recently. I'm getting more and more interested in the battle of Stalingrad. Of course being a wargamer I can't be interested in a battle and not have a game to simulate it. Thus I'm looking for Stalingrad game.

I'm thinking 2 players 3-4 hours max play time. I hate huge monster chit stacks 4 and 5 high so I'd like to keep the counter density down. I want to battle my opponent not the counter stacks. Prefer in print.

SoS is a fantastic game full of tension where each move feels critical. Don't be discouraged by the nay-sayers above. It's a beautiful classic where you'll spend more time trying to out-fox your opponent than with your nose buried in a novella-sized rule set (SoS nicely hides it's chrome in the cards) - and finish in an evening! How great is that?

Nothing against TP:Stalingrad or Battle for Stalingrad or Streets of Stalingrad (THE definitive game on the subject) - but SoS distills the wonderful area-impulse system to it's barest core while maintaining all the ferocity of the epic battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.