5 Posts

Carnival» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dice Action Order and Complete actions. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Diazaburo Bueno
msg tools
Hey guys,

Just played a game of Carnival and had this situation towards the end of a 3 player game.

I started my turn with no cards in my hand, and the deck had been depleted leaving a stack of cards in the discard area to draw from only. My dice rolls were 1, 3, 6.

Now I know I cant legally do dice action 1, due to the fact there is no draw deck. And I cant do 6 because even though I can steal from midway i wont be able to discard a card from my hand. But 3 I can do because I can steal a card from someone.

My opponent said that I must take 2 actions and the order i could take is 3 first, to steal the card from opponent and thus having a card in my hand. Then 6 because I now have a card in my hand and can complete the action.

So my question is Can I choose the order of my dice rolls? thus choosing to play 6 first and making it fizzle because i have no cards in my hand and not being able to complete the action. Or do I have to order my dice so I can take 2 actions? thus choosing 3 first then 6.

PS I know my opponent has the card I need to win in his hand and dont want to discard it if i have to do dice roll 3 first then 6.

Any help on this would be great!
Ok back to playing.
Thanks!arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a good question, and a very apt situation to explain dice roll actions. You can only take a dice roll action if you can perform ALL parts of that action. In other words, since you couldn't discard a card from your hand, you can't legally even take the #6 action. So the way your opponent suggested was the right way to go about it.

Since the winning card was in your opponent's hand, that's a bad situation to be in without a Ticket!

By the way, some play groups house rule that the discard pile is shuffled and forms a new draw deck when the draw deck runs out. If you try that out sometime, don't forget to flip the top cards from the deck to form a new discard pile (according to the number of players).

Cheers!
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diazaburo Bueno
msg tools
Hey chris,

Sorry but Im kinda confused about your answer. So can I choose my dice actions order? therefore making the ones I dont want to do "fizzle."

For example in my first explanation above. Choosing to do action 6 first and making it fizzle because i cant complete the full action. Then doing action 3 afterwards and stealing a card into my hand I needed to win.

Or do I have to play action 3 first so action 6 can be completed and thus discarding the card i needed to win?

Thanks,
Diazaburoarrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diazaburo Bueno
msg tools
Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Diazaburo wrote:
Any thoughts?

Like I mentioned before, you can't legally choose a Dice Roll Action unless you can fulfill every part of that action. This means you can't just let an action "fizzle."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.