Subject: Is a two ship setup too risky? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robbie Munn
United Kingdom
Rochester
flag msg tools
designer
I'm am entering a tournament at the end of May, but need to submit my setup next week

I was originally planning on a 3 ship setup with Chewy piloting the Falcon with Tycho & Arvel supporting in A-wings. It was working well, but last night I ried a 2 ship setup which also worked well... or maybe I was just very lucky?

I am now thinking Han piloting the Falcon with Veteran instincts, Luke as gunner, plus Chewy & shield upgrade for 2 extra HP.
Supported by Tycho with Push the limit, cluster missiles and shield upgrade, speeding around causing a distraction.
100 points

Any thoughts? Or is this just plain risky as I could be up against anything, Empire or Rebel?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, one unlucky roll or two and you're out

A minor thing, have you considered giving Tycho Assault Missiles and a Stealth upgrade, against swarms that will be the most annoying enemy for such a list?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Wilson
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This the UK nationals by any chance?

I'd maybe go Stealth on Tycho and Swap the Clusters for Homing with the extra point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie Munn
United Kingdom
Rochester
flag msg tools
designer
I've not gone up against a swarm yet - they could indeed be my undoing here :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie Munn
United Kingdom
Rochester
flag msg tools
designer
"This the UK nationals by any chance?" - Why yes!

I've been toying with which is better between Shield/Stealth & Cluster/Homing

Shield/stealth - You may have a point

Cluster/Homing - Potential 6 damage withy evades vs 4 with no evades. Still torn there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil, the Tusken Tactician
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I hesitate to help because I'll be at the Nationals, too.

But Cluster is good against low agility ships while Homing is better against high agility ships. Cluster missiles are generally perceived to be the worst.

But please, bring them to the Nationals in Birmingham and try them against me. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie Munn
United Kingdom
Rochester
flag msg tools
designer
I'll look forward to it Neil

Okay, change of plan...

Either Stealth & Homing or Shield & Concussion. I'll try them out soon and then decide for sure

But this is only one setup I'm thinking of for the tournament. Just toying with wether a 2 ship setup could hold it's own against say... 3 Outer rim smugglers lol Or wether I should stick wit a 3 ship array?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends what you mean by "risky." It's possible to build a very tough 2-ship squad that is almost impossible to beat (barring getting extremely unlucky with the dice). The big weakness of a 2-ship list is its low damage output.

In your case, the Falcon can take a reasonable beating, but Tycho only has 5 hit points. Defensively, he's basically a TIE Advanced... which is far from indestructible. His high pilot skill and Push the Limits for a combination of Boost/Evade or Focus/Evade will make him hard to hit, but if your opponent has large enough and/or numerous enough firing arcs, he'll eventually run out of places to hide. Also, he'll have a hard time doing significant damage.

A 2-ship list I like is:

- Lando Calrissian (Chewbacca, Nien Nunb, Push the Limit, Millennium Falcon, Shield Upgrade)
- Luke Skywalker (R2-D2, Draw Their Fire, Proton Torpedoes, Shield Upgrade)

Compared to your list, this Falcon is a little more durable because Luke can absorb criticals that would otherwise hit it. And it should still put out some offence because it can take both Evade (required with the Falcon) and either Focus or Target Lock. Meanwhile, if Luke is the target, he has R2-D2 repairing shields plus his built-in mini-Focus on defence plus he'll be taking both Focus and Target Lock most turns thanks to Lando. He has more punch than Tycho and can take almost as much of a beating as the Falcon (when you consider his Agility and defensive buffs).

But any 2-ship squad will have trouble doing enough damage to earn a complete victory within a timed match. The exceptions might be double YT-1300 and double Firespray (especially with Heavy Laser Cannon) lists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gumley wrote:
Just toying with wether a 2 ship setup could hold it's own against say... 3 Outer rim smugglers lol...?

If everyone brings a Falcon build I think it's going to be a boring tournament!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Wilson
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tusken Raider wrote:
Gumley wrote:
Just toying with wether a 2 ship setup could hold it's own against say... 3 Outer rim smugglers lol...?

If everyone brings a Falcon build I will be bring a build to counter the Falcon build.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kjpw_88 wrote:
Tusken Raider wrote:
Gumley wrote:

If everyone brings a Falcon build I will be bring a build to counter the Falcon build.

And with squads being submitted so early, if any player(s) have contact with the organizers they could certainly try and build the best squad for the playing field. That's why I'm always a little wary of events that require pre-submitting your squads, especially so far in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Wilson
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RogueThirteen wrote:
kjpw_88 wrote:
Tusken Raider wrote:
Gumley wrote:

And with squads being submitted so early, if any player(s) have contact with the organizers they could certainly try and build the best squad for the playing field. That's why I'm always a little wary of events that require pre-submitting your squads, especially so far in advance.

That's a good point actually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie Munn
United Kingdom
Rochester
flag msg tools
designer
Great observations!

I have much to think about, if only I had more time to actually play the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kjpw_88 wrote:
RogueThirteen wrote:

Not really. No-one gets to see the opposing squads until game day. What you're talking about is cheating via the TO, and I'd rather assume not.

Let's be honest. We know that there will be Falcon builds because they're sturdy, we know that there will be 5 or 6 ship swarms because they can win tournaments too, we know that there will be amateur builds that make obvious mistakes and we know that there will be kick-ass builds from spotty teenage nerds who will defeat us while dressed in costumes that will be hybrids of the costumes of all the characters in their squads while probably talking to us only in Klingon or something similarly offensive to Star Wars fans. They're the ones who don't need to write on forums like these because they've been watching our posts here, on the UK FB group and in other places and have already calculated what we're bringing and how to defeat it.

We may as well not even bother showing up...!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie Munn
United Kingdom
Rochester
flag msg tools
designer
"spotty teenage nerds who will defeat us while dressed in costumes that will be hybrids of the costumes of all the characters in their squads while probably talking to us only in Klingon or something similarly offensive to Star Wars fans"

This is one of the main reasons I entered - The games aside, it's going to be jolly entertaining

I should probably have mentioned that I have a real weakness for A-wings, Jeff's build is without doubt superior, I just have to have me a little A-wing love in my setup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that if you are going to take one Falcon and only one other Rebel ship, it should be an X-wing. It's the only Rebel fighter with 3 attack dice, and it has the extra hull point relative to the A-wing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gumley wrote:
... I just have to have me a little A-wing love in my setup

And I gotta have me a plane ticket to Minnesota so I'm afraid if we meet across the table, it'll all be smiles and friendly geek banter until....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie Munn
United Kingdom
Rochester
flag msg tools
designer
Tusken Raider wrote:
Gumley wrote:
... I just have to have me a little A-wing love in my setup

And I gotta have me a plane ticket to Minnesota so I'm afraid if we meet across the table, it'll all be smiles and friendly geek banter until....

Classic it's going to be a blast(er)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Scott
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
magadizer wrote:
I agree that if you are going to take one Falcon and only one other Rebel ship, it should be an X-wing. It's the only Rebel fighter with 3 attack dice, and it has the extra hull point relative to the A-wing.

Or a second Falcon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tusken Raider wrote:
kjpw_88 wrote:
RogueThirteen wrote:

Not really. No-one gets to see the opposing squads until game day. What you're talking about is cheating via the TO, and I'd rather assume not.

I guess I don't see the need to require such early squad submission at all. I've been to 40+ player Blood Bowl tournaments where players submit their team rosters for approval during registration at the event. And tourney Blood Bowl rosters are far more complicated to verify than 100 point X-Wing squads (23 Factions, Teams of 11+ Players, multiple player-types (positions) per team, cash spent on Re-Rolls, Apothecaries, Coaches, Cheerleaders, etc., and usually a smattering of extra skills as allowed by the tournament).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie Munn
United Kingdom
Rochester
flag msg tools
designer
scomatt9 wrote:

Or a second Falcon!

I could never justify the ££££'s needed to buy another large ship
(at this time )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie Munn
United Kingdom
Rochester
flag msg tools
designer
Thank you for everyone's input!!
I now have a much clearer idea on how to make a two ship build work that fits with my ideals, plus as my first post on the forum, I have come to the conclusion that I am going to have a great time playing with the likes of you'll in May's Tournament
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scomatt9 wrote:
magadizer wrote:

Or a second Falcon!

See above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Scott
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
magadizer wrote:
scomatt9 wrote:
magadizer wrote:

Or a second Falcon! place imaginary emphasis here-->

See above.

See above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scomatt9 wrote:
magadizer wrote:
scomatt9 wrote:
magadizer wrote:

Or a second Falcon! place imaginary emphasis here-->

See above.

See above.

"Your faith in your words is your weakness."
"Your faith in your smilies is yours."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.