Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alasdair Campbell
Scotland
Isle of Skye
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to make sure what happens when the defender wins a land battle but has no units left and the attacker does?

The defender has more hits than the attacker and so wins the battle, but in the process loses all of their units but the attacker does not.

My understanding from the rules is that if the defender has leaders present they are captured and that the attacker still has to retreat despite the fact there are no defenders left?

Have I understood the rules correctly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cillmhor wrote:

Have I understood the rules correctly?

A literal reading of the rules suggests that this is correct, albeit exceedingly rare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alasdair Campbell
Scotland
Isle of Skye
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this is what the rules seem to suggest, but common sense would seems to tell me that the attacker should remain in this situation, especially if they are able to capture the defender's leaders.

You're right it's probably pretty rare, but it can happen.

Or if is a defiant last stand by the defenders, then should they not be able to keep their leaders in this situation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
cillmhor wrote:
common sense would seems to tell me

Who needs common sense when you have rules?

Determining the winner is Step 7 of the Field Battle procedure. This is where the one inflicting most damage wins.

In Step 8 you then remove the losses, and only if both sides are eliminated do you do something special: the one who rolled the most dice get to retain one unit. Winner or loser is irrelevant.

Step 9: capture leaders. Again, this section doesn't care who won or lost, it just says that if all your men are gone, so is your leader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tylor Hobbs
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thematically, you can look at it as the defenders managed to break the morale of the attackers, or otherwise force them to retreat, but it was a Pyrrhic victory and there were so few survivors left after the stand that they simply aren't a viable force anymore. Either that, or the defense was so brutal that most of the survivors simply decided to take what they could carry and desert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One possibility is that there are defenders remaining, just not enough to be represented by a counter. What is more, there are likely many examples in history where a major leader was captured by the losing side--I've just never seen it in Virgin Queen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! Institute THIS!
mbmbmbmbmb
turbothy wrote:
Who needs common sense when you have rules?

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Thismustbecomeamicrobadgerightnow-shutupandtakemygeekgold!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alasdair Campbell
Scotland
Isle of Skye
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can think of plenty of thematic explanations for it, and so I'm happy to follow the rules and forget my common sense for this one

What happened was that a 12-strength Ottoman army attacked a five-strength HRE army and some very lucky die rolls meant that both sides inflicted 5 damage. And so the defender won on a tie with hits, but at the same time lost all of their units, and their leaders. The Ottomans still had to retreat as tactical losers, but strategic winners. Makes sense, as the bloody nose given to the Ottomans would have set them back on their heels, and bought time for HRE - in other words, the Ottomans will have to spend another movement point next impulse to reoccupy the space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.