14 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules Aid: Arkham Horror rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Brittain
msg tools
mbmbmb
I've created a 2 page compact and detailed walkthrough for Arkham Horror, should be perfect for teaching new players how to play the game. It includes most of the niggly rules that I find hard to remember and only realise half way through the game. I haven't tested it yet so I'm only 99% sure i got everything correct, I spent a good 11 hours creating this for myself so I thought I'd chuck it up here if anyone else was interested in using it. As usual if I've stuffed anything up let me know by posting below.

Updated download link for v1.5 here: http://www.mediafire.com/?fx5v5615433i4u9
(Thanks to Kārlis Jēriņš, Corinthian and Mark Wilson for identifying some errors)

I'll upload it to the file section when I've had a chance to use it or if one of you guys who has played the game look it over and says its all good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly looks good, but I do see two major problems:
1) You can close/seal a gate on the same turn that you return from an Other World.
2) You don't need an Elder Sign or Clue tokens to close a gate - you just need to pass a Fight or Lore check. If you do, take the gate as a trophy. Only after that do you check for the presence of an Elder Sign or Clue tokens and can attempt to seal it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
With an elder sign you skip the skill check for closing the gate, if you aim to seal the gate using clues you still make the check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
midievil wrote:
With an elder sign you skip the skill check for closing the gate, if you aim to seal the gate using clues you still make the check.

Yeah, that's right. Sorry, I got a little mixed up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brittain
msg tools
mbmbmb
TheNameWasTaken wrote:
Mostly looks good, but I do see two major problems:
1) You can close/seal a gate on the same turn that you return from an Other World.
2) You don't need an Elder Sign or Clue tokens to close a gate - you just need to pass a Fight or Lore check. If you do, take the gate as a trophy. Only after that do you check for the presence of an Elder Sign or Clue tokens and can attempt to seal it.

The rulebook states on page 17. That "This gives the investigator an opportunity to close the gate during the next Arkham Encounters Phase" yeah I think you are right, they shouldn't of had the word "next" in the sentence then I wouldn't of gotten confused because at the time to me it sounded like the next turn. And thanks for pointing out that you don't have to have Clue tokens or an Elder Sign to close a gate, you only need them to seal it. See this is why I wrote this thing up, because I don't get to play this game very often and when I do I've forgotten most of the rules and play it incorrectly. For example last time I played I forgot to remove the monsters that have the same symbol as the removed gate and that totally killed us with the Terror Tracker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brittain
msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow 46 downloads overnight, Thanks to everyone who checked this out especially to Kārlis Jēriņš and Mark Wilson for pointing out errors. Obviously other players struggle with this game too, anyway I've updated the returning to Arkham and closing gates sections and I've updated the download link in my first post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brittain
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'll submit this Rules Aid to the files section tonight if nobody else finds any more errors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Three more things.
First, it's correct that if your sanity or stamina drop to 0 you go to asylum/hospital and regain 1, but you can't pay $2 to regain all of it. You only regain 1 and have no more encounters that turn, which means that the earliest moment when you could heal is the next turn's Arkham Encounters phase.
Second, I don't see the Outskirts monster limit mentioned anywhere. That would probably belong under 11.3.
Third, a Monster Surge can also bring the monster count over the limit, and 11.2, as currently written, doesn't specify that.

Other than that, this is really good stuff. I'll probably need it when I play next - I often forget some stuff, and I'm the only one in my group who actually knows the rules (thus I'm the one running the game for the others).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brittain
msg tools
mbmbmb
Yep your correct about the Hospital/Asylum. The rules state that you only regain 1 Stamina or Sanity back and doesn't say anything about being able to pay $2 to gain it all back in the same turn, So I agree with only being able to pay $2 to gain it all back next turn.

I did mention monsters breaching outskirts limit in 11.3(d), but i actually forgot to mention it in 11.2 in the monster surge section so thanks for pointing that out. I've also added a little bit about the terror tracker in both sections, but as you know I can't actually specify how many monsters it takes to breach the limit because as you know its based on how many players are playing.

I also added the 5 conditions that control when the ancient one awakens to 12(c) I'm quite surprised i didn't see that earlier, considering that's a pretty important part of the game.

Ok, its all updated and as usual I'll update the download link in my first post, it's up to version 1.2 now in case anyone is confused as to what version they should have.

Thanks again Kārlis, You're input has been very helpful and the walkthrough is better than ever because of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corinthian
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not bad... not bad at all.

Of course I do have a whole bunch of observations:

(3.) I'm not sure, but I THINK that there are cards that cause or allow other special actions during the upkeep; so it's not quite right to tell players to skip this step simply because they have a new Retainer, Bank Loan, Blessing or Curse. In addition, the way you have phrased this implies that if someone acquired a Retainer last turn, and already had a Bank Loan, they would skip the whole step and so not roll for their existing loan, etc, etc.

(5.) It may be worth being more precise about the distinction between “speed value” and “movement points”. Investigators move by spending movement points, which are generated by their Speed at the start of the movement phase; but items can generate movement points too, and movement points can be spent on things other than movement (notably, Tomes). It also matters when investigators “receive” movement points equal to their speed, because this makes it clearer that if you were not in Arkham at the start of the phase, you don’t get any movement points; and also it is may be possible to incur skill penalties later in the movement phase which would not prevent further movement because you had already ‘received’ your movement points for the turn.

(7.1) Say “this combat” rather than “battle”. Many cards refer to “combat” or “this combat” so a rules document that uses a different term is unhelpful.

(7.3) This is inaccurate. You don’t lose stamina equal to the combat rating; you lose stamina equal to the damage, which is the red heart symbols, not the number.

(8.) Is this strictly accurate? You can’t continue to move after combat, but you may be able to use remaining movement points on Tomes. I’m not sure.

(8.1. a). Saying “half his items and clue tokens rounded down” implies one total, i.e. items plus clues, then half rounded down. What you actually do is discard half your items (rounded down) AND half your clue tokens (rounded down).

(8.3) "If the investigator's Fight Skill is modified to 0 or lower it is an automatic failure unless he/she spends a clue token.” This is inaccurate. Most weapons add dice to Combat checks, which is a type of skill check; they don’t add anything to the skill, even though the skill is also being used. In addition, there are several ways of defeating a monster using 0 dice and no Clues; for example, you can use a skill or one-off ability that automatically adds successes or automatically passes the check. It is redundant to explain that 0 skill/clue is an “automatic failure” when you are also defining the success critera elsewhere.

(9.2) This is not a choice. If you are standing on the gate in the Arkham Encounter phase, and you don’t have an explored marker, you are sucked through the gate whether you like it or not.

(9.3 b) The Elder Sign removes one doom token, and it also places a “seal” on the location; but it IS possible to seal a gate even if there are no doom tokens on the Ancient One’s doom track; so you need to specify that if the doom track is completely empty, you take a spare doom token from the supply and use that as a seal. This circumstance is extremely rare but can happen.

(10 b) This section sends the reader back to section 8, which includes rules for being reduced to zero san/stam in Arkham, but that section doesn’t include a corresponding direction to return to section 10 if you are fighting in an Other World. So there's a tiny little structural error in your flow-chart here.

(11.2) No gate has more monsters placed on it by the surge than are placed by the surge on the gate where the surge happened: this limit specifically applies to the new monsters being placed, not monsters that are already on the board. (I think that's right, anyway).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brittain
msg tools
mbmbmb
(3) I don't remember any cards that activate in the upkeep phase in the base game, but I've almost completely reworded it and made it clear I am referring to just those cards. I've also changed it from "step" to "check". New players are just going to have to be taught how to use and manage their own cards and make sure they make the appropriate checks when the card bids them to do so. It really isn't feasible to include all cards its just that the ones I've listed are the most common for that phase.

(5) Fixed

(7.1) Fixed

(8) You lose all movement points if you engage in combat, even if that isn't the case how would you study a book in combat? So I go with common sense on that one, you have to plan time to do research just like in real life. I don't accept that you can just look at how many movement points you have left over when you encounter a monster and as an afterthought announce that you are going to use Ancient Tome. I don't mind if they use Ancient Tome before they move or they move then use it at the end of their movement phase when they haven't encountered any monsters or they successfully evade then use it if they have enough movement points left over.

(8.1 a) Fixed

(8.3) I already stated at the start of the sentence to use spells and items, but have now clarified with "Skill, Items and Spells combined" when talking about modifying the check. Just like the rulebook all statements printed on cards override my rules aid if there is a conflict anyway. Yes I have defined success criteria, but this sentence defines how to completely fail the criteria which is just as important and it flows nicely into telling the new player about the other use for clue tokens.

(9.2) Yep totally buggered that one up. I think I had it right in my original draft, but changed it for some reason.

(9.3 b) That should be pretty obvious, but I added an amendment anyway.

(10 b) Yep my bad again, I've deleted the "go to" and have just pointed the reader to those sections to remind them how it works.

(11.2) Added another small amendment in brackets.

Thanks for you're great input, I've also added you to the credits. As usual the download for the new version will be in my first post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brittain
msg tools
mbmbmb
I've now uploaded this rules aid to the file section, but you can still download it from the link provided in the first post if you wish to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brittain
msg tools
mbmbmb
Sorry guys I've noticed an error in (7.3) I stated that the investigator loses stamina equal to the monsters combat rating, when it should of been the monsters damage rating the little hearts under the combat rating. I know it was mentioned in a previous post, but I made the same mistake in (8.3 (b)) which I fixed and then totally forgot to fix up (7.3) as well.

Download link has been updated in first post and the new file has been submitted to BGG and should be up soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brittain
msg tools
mbmbmb
Sorry again guys the last action of (8.3(b)) could be slightly misinterpreted. It reads "moved to St Mary's Hospital and discards half of his/her items and clue tokens (rounded down) along with all retainers". Which some people might interpret as both the items and clue tokens combined then rounded down which is wrong. I've changed it to "moved to St Mary's Hospital and discards half of his/her items (rounded down) and clue tokens (rounded down) along with all retainers".

Again I changed it in all the other sections except that one, as you can imagine this is becoming quite a headache and hopefully this is the last bloody change I have to do.

So I've updated to v1.5 so just download it on BGG when it becomes available or get it from the link provided in the first post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.