Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We finally got a chance to open Seasons when our friend came over recently. Been wanting to play it for a while, but just haven’t had the chance. While I did the worst and lost by quite a lot, I very much enjoyed the game and can’t wait to play it again and get better at the strategy.

Since this was our first game, I created the 4 introductory hands as outlined in the rules. Each of us took on at random and shuffled the fourth back into the deck. We did not play with the advanced cards.

My first mistake was thinking that since the first season was winter that I’d get a lot of water element tokens. So I put most of the water cards into my first hand. That did not pan out as I only got one water element and that was with playing temporal boots to turn back time and make winter longer.

While I haven’t had a chance to compare the beginning hands, I can’t say that saw any unique combos or strong cards in what I got. But, boy, did my husband Will get good ones. Mid-game he was able to get a card out that would let him sacrifice it to put a card in to play for free. He played a card that normally cost 20 crystals and the card was worth 30 points. Needless to say, he put it out for free.

Also, our friend got a good crystal building mechanic going. At the end of the turn, he went up one crystal for each opponent and each opponent went down one. And at the end of the season, he went up 3 crystals. It wasn’t until later that Will and I each got out the same familiar that allowed us to spend an energy to make all opponents go down 4 crystals. Sad thing for me is that hurt our friend more than Will so that’s partially why Will won.

At the end, I was able to get two cards out that reduce the cost to play cards, but it was too late at that point to effectively use them as I never got the opportunity to draw more cards near the end.

So the end score was Will: 182, friend: 168, and me: 121.

Overall, I enjoyed the game. As our friend put it, it’s like Magic the Gathering without it being collectible or having to build a deck ahead of time. I didn’t quite get that feeling, but I can see the comparison. You collect energy to play cards that affect game play.

The dice can be frustrating, but I just need to be more flexible in my strategies when I get dice choices that I don’t like. There are cards to deal with it, as both my husband and friend got the card that lets them reroll the die. I think I may need to be a bit more aggressive in getting cards. There were points where I could have gotten more cards earlier on, but I was afraid of being stuck with cards at the end and getting negative points.

This play also reminded me hard it is for me to play effectively on weeknights after a long day at work, but if we can ever get around to replaying games instead of always learning a new game, I think I’d be fine.

The artwork is a little weird to me, mostly because the main characters are all a little creepy, even in their cutesy cartoony way. And even though I still have a lot to learn about this game, I am looking forward to the expansion.

I love the box insert! I know that’s a weird thing to say but so many box insert do work well. This one makes it very easy to get everything out of the box, everything fits perfectly in their spaces and grooves, and there’s room for expansion. They definitely designed this one very well.

I think that about sums up my experience of playing Seasons for the first time. Hope to play again soon, but next time with random cards to start with, or maybe draft the cards. We’ll see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a lot of fun with this game. It will get easier to learn which year to put each card in, but you are still at the mercy of the dice. I did learn not to let my husband or son have all the crystal cards, especially those that take one from an opponent every season or whenever you have to pay before each card is summoned. I got stuck several times being unable to build up any crystals before I figured that out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mamadallama wrote:
We have a lot of fun with this game. It will get easier to learn which year to put each card in, but you are still at the mercy of the dice. I did learn not to let my husband or son have all the crystal cards, especially those that take one from an opponent every season or whenever you have to pay before each card is summoned. I got stuck several times being unable to build up any crystals before I figured that out!

Yep, figured that one out and I hope I can manipulate the cards appropriately next time we play. The dice do have a very strong determining factor, which I think is the only thing I don't like so much. But, then I have to remind myself that makes it more casual and to not overthink playing cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.